The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old 85mm OM versus 85mm Samyang

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very interesting results. To start with, I thought the Samyang looked much sharper, but when looking more closely, it seems to be more contrasty rather than sharper. Apart from a slight yellowish cast, which can mostly be corrected during pp anyway, I think I would prefer the Olympus.

pellicle

I thought the Samyang looked much sharper, but when looking more closely, it seems to be more contrasty rather than sharper.
which something I think most people get confused about and say something is more contrasty when they mean its sharper ... :) I've been really happy adding a wee bit more contrast to lenses which need it in photoshop with large radius unsharp masks, but there is no fix to absolute sharpness.

somehow I seem to have lost the significance of what I intended to say

oh well

I'm just :loco:

RichA

Very interesting results. To start with, I thought the Samyang looked much sharper, but when looking more closely, it seems to be more contrasty rather than sharper. Apart from a slight yellowish cast, which can mostly be corrected during pp anyway, I think I would prefer the Olympus.
Yes, under the haze, the Olympus seems as sharp or sharper. Not surprising, most slower-designed lenses (50mm f1.8 versus 50mm f1.4, for example) tend to be sharper.

RichA

The Sun was stronger when the Opteka shots were taken!
I was more concerned with the sharpness. Had the sun been stronger with the Olympus, colour error would have been worse than it is. The overall haze on the image in this case isn't spherical aberration, it's chromatic aberration.