The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

soft case or something else?

rparmar

I am trying to figure out the best way to carry around my E-P1, given that I have a smaller lens on it (20/1.7). The camera is such an in between size that it makes my decisions a lot more difficult. I want to be discrete for travel in Asia etc.

The camera is too small to wear over the shoulder and I don't like neck straps. I want a camera to be safe and out of the way unless I am actively shooting. I am getting one of Gordy's lug-mount hand straps, which will add confidence when the camera is in-hand.

Currently I have a shoulder bag large enough for my Pentax and it fits snug, which is a good thing. But it's too big for the Pen. My first option is to purchase a soft shell for the pen, so it can be thrown in a bag like this one with space for more stuff. Anyone have experience with these? Which is a good size?

Anyone use the PEN Wrapping Case? Available for just under £21 but seems an odd concept.

A second option would be a belt case of some sort. What about the Olympus Pen Casual Case? $12.50 in the USA but any sources for this in Europe?

m3photo

Re: Something else

I'd go for the "something else".
When I want to have my G1+20mm in my Nikon gear bag I just put a sheet of bubblewrap around it - same thing if I want to put an extra lens on top of an existing one. There's no fiddling with extra pouches and bags, it does the job perfectly and there's nothing cheaper.
Just for the G1+20mm a large trouser pocket suffices and aside from any Mae West smirks it's discreet :D

rparmar

Michael, I actually do the same thing with my shoulder bag and bubble wrap. Does the trick for wandering around town.

After some consideration I am now easing into the Olympus Pen Casual Case for times when I want the camera handy on my belt -- digging it out of the bubbles is often no fun. I just need to find a place to buy it in Europe.

bennettk

If I am carrying just the GF1 and the 20mm when traveling, I put it in a small waist pack. It's discreet, especially under a jacket, and works well with a wrist strap. Not a "photo" waist pack with padding and such, but a plain nylon pack from Eagle Creek or even Walmart.

m3photo

Re: Waist Pack

Not a "photo" waist pack with padding and such, but a plain nylon pack from Eagle Creek or even Walmart.
I do the same when I'm with the Pentax+Pancakes - one on the camera the other in the waist pack.
Mind you, I'd love to get hold of something I saw many years ago; an add-on under the camera with a bayonet so you can have it ready to take off the underside, switch lenses over and no messing around with lens caps.

rparmar

I fear that finding a generic pouch of quality and correct size here in Ireland will be just as hard as finding the name brand. At least I know that is the right size.

Olympus Pen Casual Case is $12.49 at Adorama or B&H. Then add $43 shipping!

Seller in Europe anyone? Olympus UK do not sell it.