The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16:9

biglouis

A few weeks ago a friend asked me to find pictures of a favourite spot - Hayling Island, which I visit on a regular basis. I discovered a number which I'd taken with my Panasonic LX3 which has a base perspective of 16:9. I was amazed at how much difference this aspect ratio makes to landscape pictures and decided when I returned to the same place for a holiday last week to experiment with 16:9 on my GH-2. The results are below. Post your shots as well if you use 16:9 on your m43rds camera.

Calm Blue Solent

Sandy Point #1

Langstone Harbour Mill

Langstone Harbour (cropped to 1680x1050)

Portsmouth Dockyard No 1 Basin

Portsmouth Dockyard, Dry Dock

biglouis

Hilton and Mrfanny(!), you can create dramatic views using the 16:9 format in portrait mode. Well done.

LouisB

Godfrey

Very nice!

I like this format too... somehow it's more appealing than straight 2:3 or even 3:4 for a lot of work. I tend to go either more radical oblong like this or square.

I also am a fan of 16:9. I used to have an XPan until it was stolen at Heathrow and every time I come across some of its shots I am reminded of the effectiveness of the format.

I shoot 4:3 with my GH2 all the time. Sometimes I crop to 16:9 for prints and the web.

I thought I was not losing any resolution.

Am I?

Tony

Godfrey

I also am a fan of 16:9. I used to have an XPan until it was stolen at Heathrow and every time I come across some of its shots I am reminded of the effectiveness of the format.

I shoot 4:3 with my GH2 all the time. Sometimes I crop to 16:9 for prints and the web.

I thought I was not losing any resolution.

Am I?
Check Page 119 in the Panasonic GH2 instruction manual for pixel dimensions of different format proportion modes.

The GH2 sensor is oversized to allow more pixel resolution with 16:9 format. It produces a 4608x3456 maximum size image in 4:3 mode and a 4976x2800 maximum size image when in 16:9 mode. Cropping 4:3 mode to 16:9 proportions nets 4608x2592 pixels, so you're giving up about 1.9 Mpixel when cropping vs when you set the correct format proportion in the camera. This also means that you would obtain a little wider diagonal FoV with the 16:9 setting than you can with the 4:3 setting.

Thanks Godfrey,

Another menu setting to use.

Tony

PS. Yesterday I was introduced to 'burst'. I have some tennis wizards to shoot this coming week. Now I know how to get the ball into the shot.

I plan to shoot some time lapse with my G2 and convert the stills to HD video. So I'll be working almost exclusively in 16:9 for that particular application. And yes, it is a nice looking aspect ratio.

biglouis

I plan to shoot some time lapse with my G2 and convert the stills to HD video. So I'll be working almost exclusively in 16:9 for that particular application. And yes, it is a nice looking aspect ratio.
That sound really interesting and I hope you are able to share with us the results.

LouisB