The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m43rd Lumix Leica DG 25/1.4

pellicle

tried clicking on that link, but Firefox warned me with:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for 43rumors.com

What is the current listing status for 43rumors.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 9 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-06-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-06-13.

Malicious software includes 2 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 5 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including officedrwf.dyndns-office.com/, officeftyh.dyndns-office.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS20495 (WEDARE).

R

raymondluo

It's funny, before this the general ranting public (including me) wanted a 25mm 1.4. Now I'm thinking. Really?

The trade-offs are so marginal it wouldn't matter for someone like me that price and size would win in the end. The barely significant gain in light will be critical for pros, and measurbating for the camera wankers.

The real advantage here is the Leica brand, which would probably translate to better image output (since with the 20mm it has to be software corrected), and while subjective- I am assuming better bokeh.

The real question for me though is how this will affect the price of the 20mm 1.7? Fire sale I say!

Diane B

I really like my 45/2.8 but I've tried shooting with one of my 24/2.8 for awhile and find its not a FL I prefer a lot. The lens on 4/3 looked terrific but think I'll skip and use 20/1.7 or 28/2 instead. I'm always open to changing my mind but I'm in no hurry and really want a faster mid range zoom and either the 7-14 or MFT 9-18 (I have the 4/3 9-18) first.

pellicle

Hi

It's funny, before this the general ranting public (including me) wanted a 25mm 1.4. Now I'm thinking. Really?
my problem is that I like the look of a 50 f1.4 on full frame, but I just know that I won't get the same look out of a 25 1.4 on 4/3

I really like my 45/2.8 but I've tried shooting with one of my 24/2.8 for awhile and find its not a FL I prefer a lot. The lens on 4/3 looked terrific but think I'll skip and use 20/1.7 or 28/2 instead.
yes, I've been eyeing off the Oly 17 2.8 as the 'walk about lens' to have on my GH1

or better on a GF

and why is the GF1 still selling used for the same price as a new GF-2?

did I miss something wrong with the GF-2 (ok, so it has a touch screen, but it can't be *that* bad can it? ... and there appears to be a GF-3 already in the wings)

pellicle

ohh ... and why are these things so big? I mean really, why can't it be much the same as the 17mm in size? my Pentax 110 18mm and 24mm are really quite the same in size, so after you add auto aperture and af mechanisms it can't *need* to be that long ...

Godfrey

According to Adorama, $599 actually.
Not a bad price! If it's the performance equivalent of the Summilux-D 25mm for the SLRs, it will be worth it.

It's funny: I had the Lumix G 20mm f/1.7, Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8, and Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH. I expected to like the 20mm more than the 25mm lenses, but the reverse turned out to be true. Were I to pick up another mFT body, one of these or the all-manual Nokton 25mm would be my go-to lens.

photoSmart42

Not a bad price! If it's the performance equivalent of the Summilux-D 25mm for the SLRs, it will be worth it.

It's funny: I had the Lumix G 20mm f/1.7, Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8, and Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH. I expected to like the 20mm more than the 25mm lenses, but the reverse turned out to be true. Were I to pick up another mFT body, one of these or the all-manual Nokton 25mm would be my go-to lens.
+1. I find the 20 to be too wide for my taste. It is, however, impressively sharp.

Diane B

Yes, the price changed things for me too-I wasn't willing to pay $1000 for it to be truthful. Still not in a hurry but now considering it.

CPWarner

Hmm, no mention yet of the inevitable Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 vs Leica 25mm F1.4 comparison. Should be interesting. I wonder if this will diminish the interest in the Voigtlander.

Pelao

A very interesting lens. I feel it shows Panasonic is still chasing 'serious' photographers: I can't imagine too many P&S movers chasing a prime...

pellicle

I believe that's the old 4/3 version, but the new one won't be very much cheaper. $8-900?
well when I was looking at the thought crossed my mind that they'd taken the old one, altered the mount and electronics and kept it otherwise unchanged.

Thus its as bulky as it is as it was designed for clearing the mirror.

still ... for double the price of an equivalent 35mm lens it is at least following the trends of the micro4/3, which like "fine french cuisine" is more on the bill than it is on the plate. Well, good luck to them, if they've found a market that supports such. The price quality relationship was part of what attracted me in the first place (as was size, but less so) with the G1

If things keep going this way I may find myself abandoning my G system and re-tooling up back in EOS again.