The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Steve Fines

One issue can be solved with a menu setting. You can set the camera to LCD for playback. So, as soon as you press the review button it will auto switch from EVF to LCD and a tap on the shutter (taking you back to shooting mode) will take it back to EVF.

As for changing settings, I tend to do that on the EVF and know the buttons by feel. If you do need to take the camera from your eye for all settings you will get a bit frustrated by the lack of eye sensor.
I didn't know about that setting - excellent tip. I find the lack of a sensor quite frustrating, but this might make it a little more tolerable.

Millsart

I didn't know about that setting - excellent tip. I find the lack of a sensor quite frustrating, but this might make it a little more tolerable.
I found it sort of a damned if it does, damned if it doesn't type of deal. On one hand I very much missed being able to just raise the camera to my eye and have the EVF come on, as my GH1 did.

Though at the same time, it always drove me crazy everytime I was using the flipped out LCD for waist level shooting like a TLR camera and have the LCD cut out because the sensor was too close to my body, activating the EVF

ustein

Contributing Editor
>was pretty frustrated by the absence of the eye sensor for switching LCD/EVF.

Yes, but I just got over it. This behavior is normal with the Olympus/Panasonic external EVFs.

>One issue can be solved with a menu setting.

Works well, good to have Terry as my personal instructor :).

M5-Guy

I like that [menu] fix. I too at times with my G1 run into it changing when I don't want it to, but, I do like looking at the LCD right after the exposure, well, I guess pushing the [play back] button will work, and a short tap on the shutter button will give me back the EFV... a good work around.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>well, I guess pushing the [play back] button will work, and a short tap on the shutter button will give me back the EFV... a good work around.

That is how it works.

Pelao

I like that [menu] fix. I too at times with my G1 run into it changing when I don't want it to, but, I do like looking at the LCD right after the exposure, well, I guess pushing the [play back] button will work, and a short tap on the shutter button will give me back the EFV... a good work around.
As Uwe noted, it's pretty much the way the external EVFs work, so when I played with a G3 I was comfortable, whereas while I like the auto-switch, at times it irritated me more.

m3photo

Re: Buttons by Feel

As for changing settings, I tend to do that on the EVF and know the buttons by feel.
Perhaps those of us who have used the G1 extensively work this way. The only time I use the LCD is when I need to flip it out for a low-level shot for example, the rest of the time I change settings through the EVF and have the screen flipped into the body out of harm's way. One thing I remember to do when I'm out in the street is to point the camera down at my feet when I'm using the EVF for this, as pointing the camera straight ahead might get the wrong response, as people don't know you're not taking a photo of them!

Terry

Perhaps those of us who have used the G1 extensively work this way. The only time I use the LCD is when I need to flip it out for a low-level shot for example, the rest of the time I change settings through the EVF and have the screen flipped into the body out of harm's way. One thing I remember to do when I'm out in the street is to point the camera down at my feet when I'm using the EVF for this, as pointing the camera straight ahead might get the wrong response, as people don't know you're not taking a photo of them!
And if you use the G3 this way the EVF/LCD switch is automatic. As soon as you open the LCD the camera will switch to LCD with no button press needed.

M5-Guy

And if you use the G3 this way the EVF/LCD switch is automatic. As soon as you open the LCD the camera will switch to LCD with no button press needed.
So, if you keep the LCD closed, and then open it, it will switch to the LCD?
I tend to use the LCD on my G1 to change settings, it is more comfortable than using my stubby thumb with my eye at the EFV... I am a lefty when it comes to eye-level viewing. So, my nose gets in the way of my thumb.

M5-Guy

Even though they are not a camera company as their main sales volume, they have a good RD team that does "Get It" for us photo nerd types :thumbs:

Terry

Even though they are not a camera company as their main sales volume, they have a good RD team that does "Get It" for us photo nerd types :thumbs:
Actually for a company that has only been in the camera business for 10 years I think what they've accomplished so far has been pretty amazing.

LC1 and Digilux 2
LX 2/3/4/5 and the D-lux's
Superzooms - they led the way
TZ series - the compact big zooms invented the category
Established (with Oly) the mirrorless market.

Not a bad track record! I would also say unlike some other cameras I've used they seem to have real photographers designing this stuff not perfect and always room for improvement but generally pretty thoughtful in their approach.

Pelao

Uwe

Thanks for posting these two photographs. You really nailed the exposure in that first one.

The second one is compelling. Beautiful textures and colour. A real pleasure to look at - and I bet it would make a wonderful print.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>"Hide and Seek" - A masterpiece.

Thanks. I found some processing to amplify the reflections.

M5-Guy

Tried a few Macros today with my G3 at ISO 1250 and a 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor at f/11, with 40mm's of extension..

To see FULL SIZE, right click on photo, then choose "View Image", Then click on that image if you have a "+" in your curser.