The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Terry

Well before you order a black one PM me because I would love to swap an unopened black for a brown. I just couldn't buy a brown body only and lord knows I don't need another kit lens.

Diane B

I have the same issue. I have a G1 from Dec 08 and a GF1 much less used with aux EVF. I'm trying to get my husband to like one of them and give up his G9 but so far nada LOL. I really don't need 3 bodies but I do want to keep 2. Not sure which but guessing it will be the GF1 since it easily tucks into a corner in my bag for travel. Unfortunately the G1 won't bring much and it doesn't give me much incentive to try hard to sell it LOL.

Diane

Terry

Yeah,
I do like the 14-140 combined with the G3. But I also like the 14, 20, 9-18 on it LOL

Nice tonality on the B&W

Diane B

Thanks Joe. I did see it and should have left a comment. Since I'm a longtime LR user hoping they update soon.

Diane

DHart

I'm eagerly awaiting the refresh to LR3 for this camera! The JPGs look pretty good, but I know there's a lot more IQ lurking in the RAWs. Until LR refreshes, I'm capturing in both RAW and JPG, whereas normally I don't even bother with JPGs.

Diane B

Don, I'm doing the same. I haven't done much serious shooting since its just abysmal weather with near and above 100 since I got the G3. Though I live in the western foothills of NC and still def. "South" this is pretty unseasonal for us even when I get into the mts. Looks like a patch of cooler next week so really looking forward to getting out for some good shooting and hope LR upgrade isn't far behind.

Diane

DHart

Don, I'm doing the same. I haven't done much serious shooting since its just abysmal weather with near and above 100 since I got the G3. Though I live in the western foothills of NC and still def. "South" this is pretty unseasonal for us even when I get into the mts. Looks like a patch of cooler next week so really looking forward to getting out for some good shooting and hope LR upgrade isn't far behind.

Diane
Diane... my sympathies are with you and much of the country with the heat and drought and what not. Fortunately, here in the Pacific NorthWest... ohhh... never mind! ;) I do hope the climate gets a whole lot better for all of you folks who are suffering in it these days. Meantime... how 'bout a road trip to cooler climes?

Uaiomex

It sounds dreadful!
Yes, seconds thoughts too on buying G3
Eduardo

Great shots ustein!

I tried the G3 at a store yesterday and was pretty frustrated by the absence of the eye sensor for switching LCD/EVF. Take a shot, then try to review at the LCD - nops there is no image there. Take a shot then try to change some settings - nops there is nothing on the LCD to allow changing the settings. OK, so I switch to LCD, change the settings, and lift the camera to the eye to take a picture - aaargh there is no view in the viewfinder.

I was fairly interested in G3 but having serious doubts now. Are you G3 users finding that you get used to this explicit need to switch? Looks to me that I can never get used to it and it will drive me crazy!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Take a shot, then try to review at the LCD - nops there is no image there.

I review via play and this can be forced to the LCD.

Terry

Not the way I'm shooting.

1) I don't review every shot
2) I have the camera set that when I want to review I press the playback button and the camera auto switches to the LCD. Tap shutter goes back to EVF.
3) I don't always change the settings on the LCD. All changes can be made when you looming through the EVF. The button placement on the camera is pretty easy to remember.

Uaiomex

Uwe, Terry: Now, it doesn't sound as bad. Pardon my ignorance. I'm totally new to the system (never seen one in person) and I'm forced to comprehend these things through your posts and translating to spanish.
What is exactly the difference between your 2 methods to overcome the lack of switch sensor?
Thanks
Eduardo

Not the way I'm shooting.

1) I don't review every shot
2) I have the camera set that when I want to review I press the playback button and the camera auto switches to the LCD. Tap shutter goes back to EVF.
3) I don't always change the settings on the LCD. All changes can be made when you looming through the EVF. The button placement on the camera is pretty easy to remember.

Terry

No difference.

There is a setting on the camera called Play on LCD. It is on or off.
Set to on:
Whenever you press the playback button the LCD is activated and that is where the image is played back
Set to Off:
When you press playback the image will be on whatever was active at the time either LCD or EVF
To cancel playback the fastest way is just to tap the shutter. When you cancel playback:
The image will return to the EVF if you that is what you were using when you started the playback and you have play on LCD set to on.

ustein

Contributing Editor
No difference.

There is a setting on the camera called Play on LCD. It is on or off.
Set to on:
Whenever you press the playback button the LCD is activated and that is where the image is played back
Set to Off:
When you press playback the image will be on whatever was active at the time either LCD or EVF
To cancel playback the fastest way is just to tap the shutter. When you cancel playback:
The image will return to the EVF if you that is what you were using when you started the playback and you have play on LCD set to on.

Not perfect but works fine.

Uaiomex

Ok. Let's see.
I would not want the camera's evf to show playback after shot. I want to shoot the picture and keep on looking live. Just like in an SLR, just this time happens to be an electronic image. Maybe a flicker or brief black screen at the moment of pressing the shutter.
Is this possible and how?

If the above is a possible setup:
Without leaving this mode is it possible to take a picture and move my eyesight to the LCD to review the shot without pushing any button?

In other words, I am just wanting the camera to behave like a DSLR. But only and specifically during these 2 circumstances.

Possible?
TIA
Eduardo

Not perfect but works fine.