The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Diane B

Yes, by using burst mode in M/middle speed there is no blackout. Its how I often shoot but just shoot as though its single shot. Auto review is automatically turned off.

To review you have to select the review button.

Diane

Ok. Let's see.
I would not want the camera's evf to show playback after shot. I want to shoot the picture and keep on looking live. Just like in an SLR, just this time happens to be an electronic image. Maybe a flicker or brief black screen at the moment of pressing the shutter.
Is this possible and how?

If the above is a possible setup:
Without leaving this mode is it possible to take a picture and move my eyesight to the LCD to review the shot without pushing any button?

In other words, I am just wanting the camera to behave like a DSLR. But only and specifically during these 2 circumstances.

Possible?
TIA
Eduardo

Uaiomex

Thanks Diane.
Just the review button? No need to push lcd/evf switch button before?
Eduardo

Yes, by using burst mode in M/middle speed there is no blackout. Its how I often shoot but just shoot as though its single shot. Auto review is automatically turned off.

To review you have to select the review button.

Diane

Terry

Thanks Diane.
Just the review button? No need to push lcd/evf switch button before?
Eduardo
If you use the EVF, I strongly advise keeping auto review set to off. Otherwise the picture you just took pops up in the EVF which is really disruptive to shooting.

Even if you leave auto review on there is no way to set the camera that the immediate picture review is automatically on the LCD

Diane, Uwe and I all have it set up the same way. We all shoot through the EVF. We have auto review set to OFF. We all have Play on LCD set to ON.

If we want to review a shot we push the playback button. The camera will show that image on the LCD. You do NOT need to hit the EVF/LCD button. When you are done reviewing the shot, bring the camera back to eye level and a light touch on the shutter will have the picture back on the EVF again without touching the LCD/EVF button.

The only time I need to use the LCD/EVF button is when I want to switch from shooting through the EVF to shooting from the LCD or if I want to make changes to the camera settings and I want to do this on the LCD rather than through the EVF.

M5-Guy

If you use the EVF, I strongly advise keeping auto review set to off. Otherwise the picture you just took pops up in the EVF which is really disruptive to shooting.

Even if you leave auto review on there is no way to set the camera that the immediate picture review is automatically on the LCD

Diane, Uwe and I all have it set up the same way. We all shoot through the EVF. We have auto review set to OFF. We all have Play on LCD set to ON.

If we want to review a shot we push the playback button. The camera will show that image on the LCD. You do NOT need to hit the EVF/LCD button. When you are done reviewing the shot, bring the camera back to eye level and a light touch on the shutter will have the picture back on the EVF again without touching the LCD/EVF button.

The only time I need to use the LCD/EVF button is when I want to switch from shooting through the EVF to shooting from the LCD or if I want to make changes to the camera settings and I want to do this on the LCD rather than through the EVF.
^^^^^ in BI ^^^^^^

That is how a DSLR would work in most cases.... no EVF preview, but preview on the LCD... only difference, is that in a DSLR, the preview, if turned on, would be on the LCD right after the shoot automatically.

Makes using the G3 much faster to capture fast moving subjects on the fly. That is how my G3 is set up also.

Uaiomex

Thank you guys. I think I got the feeling of it. Small thing to do for reviewing a pic. I guess I wouldn't mind.
I assume that if kept the same way, the LCD won't interrupt live image after a shot, it will resume live image immediately.
The key is to set auto-review to OFF. Simple!
Or do you have a certain setup when shooting out of the LCD? Just wondering.
Thanks
Eduardo

Last edited:

M5-Guy

Thank you guys. I think I got the feeling of it. Small thing to do for reviewing a pic. I guess I wouldn't mind.
I assume that if kept the same way, the LCD won't interrupt live image after a shot, it will resume live image immediately.
The key is to set auto-review to OFF. Simple!
Or do you have a certain setup when shooting out of the LCD? Just wondering.
Thanks
Eduardo
Push the [EVF/LCD] button for LCD viewing:
With the LCD preview [off], there is no interruption between shoots. When you are ready to preview, you will push the [play] button as usual, and tap the shutter button to get back to live-view.

Uaiomex

Got it! One big step closer to getting a G3.
Thanks
Eduardo

Push the [EVF/LCD] button for LCD viewing:
With the LCD preview [off], there is no interruption between shoots. When you are ready to preview, you will push the [play] button as usual, and tap the shutter button to get back to live-view.

kuau

Workshop Member
terry,
are you still shooting your X100 or do you feel the G3 IQ is on par with the Fuji X100?

Terry

terry,
are you still shooting your X100 or do you feel the G3 IQ is on par with the Fuji X100?
I've been getting ready for a trip to Africa so I've been working with the kit I'm taking with me. I will make any gear decisions once I'm back.

henningw

I've been getting ready for a trip to Africa so I've been working with the kit I'm taking with me. I will make any gear decisions once I'm back.
So am I, and a number of other people, mostly from the Leica User's Group (e-mail). 5 couples. 3 are taking large Nikon gear (200-400/4, 300/2.8 & D3, D700) and 2 of us are going with m43. Main camera will be GH2 with G1 & G3 extra/backup and a bunch of lenses (all the Panasonics and the Olymppus 12/2). Still only about as big and heavy as a D700 with a 70-200. Comparisons with my big Canon stuff convinced me that the Panasonics are the way to go.

Henning

Terry

So am I, and a number of other people, mostly from the Leica User's Group (e-mail). 5 couples. 3 are taking large Nikon gear (200-400/4, 300/2.8 & D3, D700) and 2 of us are going with m43. Main camera will be GH2 with G1 & G3 extra/backup and a bunch of lenses (all the Panasonics and the Olymppus 12/2). Still only about as big and heavy as a D700 with a 70-200. Comparisons with my big Canon stuff convinced me that the Panasonics are the way to go.

Henning
Exactly - I'm going with GH2 and two G3's and I have an XZ1 in my safari short pocket. I am the only one with m4/3 and my whole kit weighs about what my friends 800mm lens weighs.

100-300
14-140
14-54 f2.8-3.5 (Oly 4/3)
9-18

I was hoping the 25mm or 45mm would have been available but no such luck.
I could try and go and get a 12mm today but I don't really think I will need that wide very much.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Exactly - I'm going with GH2 and two G3's and I have an XZ1 in my safari short pocket. I am the only one with m4/3 and my whole kit weighs about what my friends 800mm lens weighs.

100-300
14-140
14-54 f2.8-3.5 (Oly 4/3)
9-18

I was hoping the 25mm or 45mm would have been available but no such luck.
I could try and go and get a 12mm today but I don't really think I will need that wide very much.
I would get the 12 and mount it fix on one of the G3's :)

DHart

Terry... I think the 12 (24mm equiv.) would be indispensible. Although, you do have the 9-18 which will give you that and more, and the 14 so..... ah, I'm sure you'll be fine without the 12. ;-)

Terry

My goal is to changes lenses as little as possible. That being said, it is in stock at the dealer.

DHart

I was not able to resist the call of the 12. Should be here, courtesy of B&H, with a GF3 on Monday... can't wait!

Paratom

I winder how usefull a faster lens is for 4/3 in the wideangle range.
Also have the 9-18, and the 14 over the weekend and the 12 I can check out on Monday.
Now the 14 has the advantage of very small size and a very flexible focal length vs the 12 the more dynamic focal length, slightly faster, maybe optically slightly better?, but IMO pretty high priced for what it is.

For the 20 or a 45 I see it much more usefull to have a faster lens than in the wide angle area.

DHart

Certainly a 45 or a 20 might seem more suitable focal lengths for a fast lens, but in dim interiors and for keeping higher shutter speeds in lower light street situations, as well as for more dramatic focus isolation with the subject very close to lens and a distant BG blurred, the fast wide angle is wonderful. For some people, the fast 12 is a very desirable option and well within the realm of affordable. Of course, it's an expensive lens. So that will make it less of an option for some folks who may prefer the 14 as a more generally affordable wide angle option.

Pelao

The 12 seems like a great lens, both in performance and design. I have spent considerably more than it's price on past lenses. For me it's about value, and for what I shoot, and how shoot, the 12 price is not good value. It's a little wide for me, and from what I can see not significantly better than my 14.

If I needed the the 12 I would certainly try it, but less than 30% of my shots are that wide, and f2.5 is enough for me too. I print large, and am of the opinion that the 14 is actually not an OK, affordable lens, but actually a bit of a marvel and a steal.

Overall though, I am delighted at the growth in choice. I have been shooting M4/3 for nearly two years, and the camera situation is reasonable. I can see that evolving nicely. For me it's about the lenses, and it's looking pretty good.

Terry

I'm trusting my original analysis and not getting the 12 for right now. I'd rather spend the money on the 25 and 45 when they are released. I want the new 45mm to be a good lens or I can rebuy the 45 macro.