The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Pelao

I'm trusting my original analysis and not getting the 12 for right now. I'd rather spend the money on the 25 and 45 when they are released. I want the new 45mm to be a good lens or I can rebuy the 45 macro.
I too hope the 45 is good. That's one thing I am lacking - an AF prime in the 75 - 90 range.

The 25 is, I think, a certain target for me, but it's a 45 first. I will likely upgrade my camera in the next 6 months, and want to see what the rumored GF is like.

Diane B

I've thought of selling my 45 macro and buying the 45/1.8 but rethought that. I use the 45 quite a lot for closeups and macro and I have a Hexanon 40/1.8 as well as a fast 50 so still have the 25 in my sights instead. I do wonder if I will shoot with it more than the 20 and not sure if I need both. But....I'm so remiss when it comes to getting around to selling gear that I would likely have both for a good while LOL. Its just would I carry both?!?!? If I ever get a fast mid range zoom then that would solve things. I hate to buy the Oly 4/3---hoping that either Panny or Oly will announce the MFT 12-50/2.8-3.5 soon.

Diane

Terry

If I ever get a fast mid range zoom then that would solve things. I hate to buy the Oly 4/3---hoping that either Panny or Oly will announce the MFT 12-50/2.8-3.5 soon.

Diane
I really wanted a fast midrange zoom and tried to wait it out as long as I could. But I ran out of time and just bought the 4/3 14-54 f2.8-3.5. I tried very hard to be disciplined and get a good price. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of them around, hard to find a used version II. Mostly everyone was at full $599 list. I did finally find that Unique Photo in NJ had them listed for $499 and I bought it. The lens isn't too big (sort of like the 14-140). What gives me a lot of hope is looking at that lens if you were to scale it back for m4/3 you can get a fast enough lens at a relatively good size. Not as teeny as the little Oly kit lens but certainly a lens size that people wanting a fast lens can live with.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really wanted a fast midrange zoom and tried to wait it out as long as I could. But I ran out of time and just bought the 4/3 14-54 f2.8-3.5. I tried very hard to be disciplined and get a good price. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of them around, hard to find a used version II. Mostly everyone was at full $599 list. I did finally find that Unique Photo in NJ had them listed for $499 and I bought it. The lens isn't too big (sort of like the 14-140). What gives me a lot of hope is looking at that lens if you were to scale it back for m4/3 you can get a fast enough lens at a relatively good size. Not as teeny as the little Oly kit lens but certainly a lens size that people wanting a fast lens can live with.
How about AF speed and accuracy?

Terry

It isn't speedy but seems OK and the G3 has picture in picture for easier MF or MF fine tuning. Where the 14-45 doesn't work very well is touch focus where faster focus is important to avoid camera shake in the focus --> shoot process.

I look at this solution as a stop gap and tried to figure how much it was going to cost me if I bought the 14-54 and then needed to sell it. Also, the 14-54 is supposed to be better balanced on the m4/3 cameras than the 12-60 and it was a less expensive "gamble".

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It isn't speedy but seems OK and the G3 has picture in picture for easier MF or MF fine tuning. Where the 14-45 doesn't work very well is touch focus where faster focus is important to avoid camera shake in the focus --> shoot process.

I look at this solution as a stop gap and tried to figure how much it was going to cost me if I bought the 14-54 and then needed to sell it. Also, the 14-54 is supposed to be better balanced on the m4/3 cameras than the 12-60 and it was a less expensive "gamble".
The balance must for sure be better than the relatively big and heavy 12-60. I also would not assume that the 12-60 focuses faster. These 43 lenses are really optimized for 43 cameras and their AF, but not for M43. I also think that AF speed improvement of 43 on M43 is not going to happen, because it seems not possible.

I learned that the expensive way with my 14-35 and 35-100, both excellent lenses producing stunning results, but AF is almost not useable on any M43 body I tried - GH2, EP2 and even EP3.

Terry

Peter I know how the lens would focus before I bought it. I agree the 4/3 will never focus as well. They were never built for full time CDAF and were optimized for PDAF. Panasonic has many of the basic lenses covered and now they can concentrate on round two and up the ante on lens speed etc. I say Panny as I want OIS lenses.

Diane B

I didn't have an awesome trip like yours staring me in the face giving me a time limit so I'm okay with waiting a bit. If one doesn't get announced by the first of the year though I will rethink it. From your thoughts I'm sure I will be fine with it--doesn't have to be teeny but built for the m4/3, esp. by Panny, it will be optimized for corrections too plus I won't have to use the adapter with it.

Uaiomex

Guys: I did it. I bought today a black G3 with kit lens. I will start reading the pdf manual after this post. Very excited. I tried it at the store and I loved the way it autofocused (live view). Got a great deal. Couldn't resist anymore.
I kind of freaked at holding it. It feels like its going to slip out my hand. It only felt safe if resting the lens and body over my left palm. I think practice will make this issue disappear. What do you think? I know some photographers familiar with the GH2 noticed this. I tried the Canon 600D and it felt wonderful in my hands. Too bad it can't AF in video. I'm 58. Suffice to say I can't focus with my 5D2 LCD.
Salud everybody!
Eduardo

P.S. I just noticed the kit lens hs no IS switch. Is it on always?

Last edited:

M5-Guy

Guys: I did it. I bought today a black G3 with kit lens. I will start reading the pdf manual after this post. Very excited. I tried it at the store and I loved the way it autofocused (live view). Got a great deal. Couldn't resist anymore.
I kind of freaked at holding it. It feels like its going to slip out my hand. It only felt safe if resting the lens and body over my left palm. I think practice will make this issue disappear. What do you think? I know some photographers familiar with the GH2 noticed this. I tried the Canon 600D and it felt wonderful in my hands. Too bad it can't AF in video. I'm 58. Suffice to say I can't focus with my 5D2 LCD.
Salud everybody!
Eduardo

P.S. I just noticed the kit lens hs no IS switch. Is it on always?
Congrats on the G3...
On AF with Video, with the G3, you will like the different ways you can AF

carlosecpf

This post was really helpful to me. I've ordered a black G3 and it should arrive tomorrow along with the leicasonic 25mm 1.4. Can't wait to start shooting with this combo!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Newly acquired G3: 25/1.4 PL (pics 1,2) 20/1.7 (pics 3,4). Camera and lenses just out of their boxes.

Roy Benson

Last edited:
I took my G3s to another live music event last night. Here's an example of a shot with the Lumix 100-300 f4-5.6 at iso6400:

_1000731.jpg by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

I am continually impressed with what this little sensor can do at high iso levels. Of course there's noise, but minor post-processing controls it nicely, especially starting with a raw file. The color balance was very difficult in this venue, due to LED lighting. Anyone know a fix for that? I shot at fixed white balance, set for tungsten. Some images were so exclusively saturated in blue or purple as to be useless.

Many more images and a short video of my drive home through the snow may be found here:
DMC-365 - My Year with Lumix Camera Equipment: Jazz, ETC - Local Barn Burners Play "Barns of Rose Hill" in Berryville, Virginia

Reed
DMC-365.blogspot.com

djonesii

Workshop Member
G3 20mm Iso 6400 skate boarding

My son was out skateboarding very early in the evening .... 8:00 (20:00), the light was basically gone .... ISO 6400 on camera flash, 20mm around F1.8 1/250 or so as I recall ....