The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting to know the G3

Terry

Eventually this thread will die out and we can go back to the fun with 4/3 thread but this will be a good repository for information on the G3. Today was my first outing with the camera. Late afternoon before we got fog but lighting was still a little harsh....the days are still a bit long right now :D

I like the feel of the camera. I don't yet have the buttons optimally set up. I set it up yesterday but was doing more from the screen and my settings don't work as well for using the EVF (fn1/fn2/Qmenu).

The camera seems like a GF1 in size but definitely benefits from the built in EVF and flip out screen. It doesn't feel too small. It is heavier than I expected. I was shooting it with the 14-140 and it din't feel too big for the camera.

The camera feels very responsive in Medium burst mode.

I only shot jpeg at standard settings. I think they need to be optimized a bit but I would normally shoot RAW but there is no LR support just yet. Jpegs look OK but the past month I've been staring at 80mp Phase files so I've gotten really spoiled.

M5-Guy

Where did you get one??
Everyone is still OOS.
I have $625.00 just waiting for my pre-order to come through.
Tell me, (by PM) and I'll buy the G3 body tonight! :salute:

Nice set of samples btw... lots if detail...

Terry

I got it last weekend from Kenmore Camera in Seattle. Last I heard they only had red in stock. I think they got a big batch because Panasonic was doing an in store event. I did see it posted somewhere that Amazon had it earlier today. Also 17th street Photo in NY apparently had it (go to their website and not through Amazon it is cheaper).

I had pre-ordered from Panasonic direct but no word from them yet.

M5-Guy

I got it last weekend from Kenmore Camera in Seattle. Last I heard they only had red in stock. I think they got a big batch because Panasonic was doing an in store event. I did see it posted somewhere that Amazon had it earlier today. Also 17th street Photo in NY apparently had it (go to their website and not through Amazon it is cheaper).

I had pre-ordered from Panasonic direct but no word from them yet.
Uhhh, the body is still on back order, and I don't have any more than $630.00 tops for just the body.

Maybe I can wait for the next pay, and get a kit for $699.00, 17th has them in stock for now.. and sell the kit lens, I already have an O/14-42ED, no need for the Panny version.

Terry

The best deal on body only is through Panasonic. I go through their employee purchase program but the same/or close to the same deal was apparently available through Facebook. Give that a try. At some point I will have a body up for sale but I don't know when it will arrive.

ggibson

Thanks for the impressions! The G3 looks like a sweet camera. I'm waiting to see what Olympus announces next week.

In the meantime, do you have any shots of the G3 with the pancake lenses (20mm or 14mm) to show the size? Perhaps next to one of your other m4/3 cameras? We need camera pr0n. :)

hot

@TEBnewyork

Nice pictures! Close up is excellent!
Next week I'll get my "chocolate" G3 - now summer can begin :p
Amazon couldn't deliver, but another dealer delivered within 24h - 45€ cheaper than amazon.

Diane B

I spent the afternoon shooting mostly with an MF 24/2.8 but also 4/3 9-18 and 20/1.7. Its lovely to shoot with and I'm not settled in with it at all. In my hand its a cross between G1 and GF1, with MF focusing even easier with the ability to choose the area to magnify by simply touching it. The PiP is okay but I prefer the larger area.

I can't really say much about IQ--only loaded to Ipad tho' I will load into LR but until there's an upgrade for the G3 I can't say too much since I'm a RAW shooter but the jpegs through ISO look good. i shot interiors with very low light and late afternoon outside. So--so far pretty happy with the G3. I was concerned about ergonomics since I shoot so much with MF but it seems fine. Camera balances nicely with my lenses and handling is quite nice. The camera sits in my left hand, easy to focus, all the buttons
I need under hand. I put the ones I use a lot on the fn buttons and setting Q menu for touch screen.

I got a brown kit. I've had only black since film days. Gone crazy this year LOL with a purple Tenba and the brown G3. Its towards cordovan under interior lights and metallic milky chocolate in daylight. Quite understated with the broad band of black around the body. I like it a lot--it was a risk that I would hate it but its a keeper.

Terry

Diane the brown looks cool. I was deciding to live on the edge as well and went for screaming white. Like you I WANT raw support (stomps foot).

Leo R

Congratulations Diane. I have been following your anticipation on receiving the G3 and I hope it was worth the wait. After reading the high praise from forum members here and elsewhere I bought one today with the 14-42 kit lens. This is my first Pany m4/3d although I had an Oly EP2 a couple of years ago.
I am finding the menu system a little unusual but I will get use to it and then hopefully be able to concentrate on getting the best out of the camera.
Have you tried the Silkypix software to convert the raw files yet?

Have fun and post some pics soon.

Cheers,
Leo Reinhard

Diane B

I probably won't load the Silkypix since I'm a Lightroom (plus a bit of PS) person. I'm shooting RAW + jpeg but since they are all really just test shooting may not even load to LR unless I shoot some worthwhile ones in meantime.

It appears to be worth the wait but can't comment on IQ until I can compare G1/GF1 processed RAWs to G3 processed RAWs. Jpegs def. better and I am finding pluses to be happy with ergonomic wise and usage wise.

I do like the brown <smile>

Pelao

I probably won't load the Silkypix since I'm a Lightroom (plus a bit of PS) person. I'm shooting RAW + jpeg but since they are all really just test shooting may not even load to LR unless I shoot some worthwhile ones in meantime.

It appears to be worth the wait but can't comment on IQ until I can compare G1/GF1 processed RAWs to G3 processed RAWs. Jpegs def. better and I am finding pluses to be happy with ergonomic wise and usage wise.

I do like the brown <smile>
Hi Diane
I have been looking forward to your first hand reports. It's good to hear that (so far) you don't regret the purchase.

Terry

Here is the next installment (year three) of the Pride Parade in San Francisco. The last two years were shot with Sony (A900 and then NEX). The lighting is always really hard to deal with. Summer midday and hard to get positioned to protect highlight. Again only working with the jpegs.

Don't want to be caught parading without that last minute manicure :D

jonoslack

Hi Terry
No idea about the camera - but those are great shots - especiall enjoyed these two:
Here is the next installment (year three) of the Pride Parade in San Francisco. The last two years were shot with Sony (A900 and then NEX). The lighting is always really hard to deal with. Summer midday and hard to get positioned to protect highlight. Again only working with the jpegs.

Don't want to be caught parading without that last minute manicure :D

Great Stuff

Steve Fines

Hi,

Great photos and thoughts.

I've had the g3 for a weekend. I have a spot where I do a lot of loon photography - usually with a 600/4 and a pro dslr body. Given the reports of how fast focusing the G3 was I wanted to try it out with the 100-300 and see how it fared. My thoughts are really geared towards this alone and not all the other ways one might use the camera.

It is fast to focus, no doubt. However, after a weekend I'd have to say it is not bif fast or sports fast, but something a little less. The viewfinder blacking out between shots is just a game stopper for fast moving subjects. There is a "medium burst" speed where the viewfinder doesn't black out, but it in all honesty is pretty slow. (about 3fps) Even with birds moving at a steady speed across the field my keeper rate was really really low, and with birds coming directly at me my in focus percent was a solid zero.

Also, with fast moving subjects it is handy to be able to do focus with one button and exposure with another. One can do this by customizing the top button on the G3, but it is in totally the wrong spot on the camera to be ergonomic.

Last big gripe is that they took away the auto on-off of the EVF. Good grief - this is such a stupid omission. I imagine that after some time pressing the button to switch this will become second nature, but the GH2 is worlds nicer in this regard.

Now, all that said this is a fun camera to use. I liked the size, and with the 100-300 it is a tiny, lightweight long lens solution. For subjects moving not too fast the focus speed is excellent and accurate.

Here are a few loons and a beaver. I was in this beaver's territory and she kept false charging me and doing the tail slap on the water. Unfortunately the property tax statement says it is my territory, so we'll have to figure that out.

And of course as Adobe hasn't included this camera yet these are raws converted with Silkypix, which I really don't have a good feel for. Highest iso on these was 500 so I didn't bother with nr.