The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3, chocolate

hot

G3 - camera, lens, battery - Made in China ... ahhhh, best quality :thumbup:

Last edited:

Tesselator

I wonder if Panasonic will do the same thing Sony does here in Japan: Offer one "Made In Japan" for a premium and also one "Made in China" at bargain basement prices. ?

Diane B

I am surprised how nice it looks in that colour. Nice photographs: taken with the kit lens?
I think the wide black bands around the body really help. I don't think I'd care for the color if they were solid brown like the colors were with the G1 that didn't have the bands down the sides but as they are I like mine quite a lot.

mach330

so is autofocus really faster compared to other mft cameras? do we need to update fw to use the 20/1.7 lens or is the af being faster a camera thing?

where did you get your 3rd party battery from? i'll be getting mine next tues.

Diane B

My 20/1.7 is just fine on the G3. I really haven't checked compared to my G1 and GF1 but it feels a bit snappier.

You may be thinking of the new Olys with their faster AF and new lenses that will work better with them which has led people to question what AF will be like with the older MFT lenses.

hot

I am surprised how nice it looks in that colour. Nice photographs: taken with the kit lens?
Yes, with 14-42 ... five minutes after arrive of G3 :D ... raining ...

where did you get your 3rd party battery from? i'll be getting mine next tues.
I always select from 100 :p Chinese dealers - not the cheapest one, but the dealer with low price (incl. shipping) and high points (> 99.3%)

Buying ~ 200x (within 2 years) it always was okay! Nice, polite and correct people!
Shipping time China-Austria 4 days to 2-3 weeks, seldom 4-6 weeks.

hot

Ready ... doublesided printed A4 manual, 208 pages.
Price: 100 sheet paper + 1/2 ink cartridge = € 0.60 + € 0.10 = € 0.70
And some mouse clicks ... Canon IP4000 made.

Pelao

My 20/1.7 is just fine on the G3. I really haven't checked compared to my G1 and GF1 but it feels a bit snappier.

You may be thinking of the new Olys with their faster AF and new lenses that will work better with them which has led people to question what AF will be like with the older MFT lenses.
Diane

How are you finding the feel of the G3: I remember you were a bit concerned about that?

Diane B

Diane

How are you finding the feel of the G3: I remember you were a bit concerned about that?
I'm really happy with it. Somewhere else I wrote that like Goldilocks said LOL "It's just right!". It really is. I've had all my lenses on it, from native MFT to my MF lenses. I spent some time setting it up and all this week as I found other options I've altered things until I think I have it just about right. The grip is just enough, the buttons fall under my hands with the Fn buttons set up, the size is just about the best compromise between my G1 and GF1 with the good EVF and tilt LCD.

Where I carried the G1 mostly with the grip and a wrist strap for drop protection and never found exactly the best way for the GF1 with the EVF I pulled out my Y strap for the G3 and when I want to carry several lenses i found that if I put the LP Terraclime on cross body first and then the Y strap with the camera it worked beautifully I've shot several times this way and its easy to shoot out of the TC and there's hardly any weight and I'm handsfree.

So--- I'm really glad I bought it from a handling standpoint. Oh, I've become a touch screen convert also.

Diane

Pelao

I'm really happy with it. Somewhere else I wrote that like Goldilocks said LOL "It's just right!". It really is. I've had all my lenses on it, from native MFT to my MF lenses. I spent some time setting it up and all this week as I found other options I've altered things until I think I have it just about right. The grip is just enough, the buttons fall under my hands with the Fn buttons set up, the size is just about the best compromise between my G1 and GF1 with the good EVF and tilt LCD.

Where I carried the G1 mostly with the grip and a wrist strap for drop protection and never found exactly the best way for the GF1 with the EVF I pulled out my Y strap for the G3 and when I want to carry several lenses i found that if I put the LP Terraclime on cross body first and then the Y strap with the camera it worked beautifully I've shot several times this way and its easy to shoot out of the TC and there's hardly any weight and I'm handsfree.

So--- I'm really glad I bought it from a handling standpoint. Oh, I've become a touch screen convert also.

Diane
Thanks - I appreciate it.

I really enjoy my GF1, but I do like eye level shooting and would like a better EVF. I don't like the new Olympus cameras (the E-P2 and I never became good friends, and my issues with it remain in the new version) so the G3 is looking good right now.

hot

Nice, but unnecessary - Lumix3D lens.

With G3 again no 3D movies (but built-in firmware for 3D pictures, no update necessary),
for 3D videos you must isolate contacts with paper and cut movie with (free & excellent)
StereoMovieMaker.

Better for lower price than Lumix3D lens: Sony Bloggie 3D, small like a smartphone,
makes 2D/3D photos/movies - movies 3D FullHD 1920x1080 side-by-side

hot

Yes - NIPON, half price of KIPON :p

Ouuuhhh, it's raining/raining/raining ...

G3 + Oly 40-150

hot

A small lens for a small camera ...

G3 + Fujian 35mm/1.7 ($ 28 incl. shipping)

Diane B

I like this little Fujian 35 on the G3. Tell me more. i didn't find anything by googling. I need to look into this one more.

Also interesting how similar our gardens must be in Austria and western North Carolina--the double and single echinacea, the lacecap hydrangea, daylilies, the raspberries, etc.

Diane

hot

Search ebay.com for "cctv 35mm". Price should be < $ 30 incl. shipping.
For m4/3 or NEX you also need an adapter "adapter cctv m4/3" (price ~ $ 10)

Dealers offer Fujian 35mm 1.7 cctv lens - with or without adapter.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...1313&_nkw=cctv+35mm&_sacat=See-All-Categories

25mm Fujian lens hat max aperture 1.4, but it is for m4/3 few vignetting, with NEX (APS-C) more vignetting. Price is ~ $ 25

My garden is a biotop with snails, mice, hedgehogs, snakes, frogs, toads, dragonflies, butterflies etc. Each creature may live.