The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let down by G3 EVF, X100 spoiled me I think

Millsart

I picked up a G3 kit as I've been really impressed with some of the images I've been seeing lately from the camera and also for some of the upcoming lenses like the 25mm f1.4 which looks great.

However, man.... I'm really not enjoying the EVF on the camera. I do enjoy an optical finder first and foremost but on the X100 at least, really find the EVF perfectly usable.

G3 just doesn't seem to compare, looks like an EVF, while the X100 feels pretty much like an optical finder on a DSLR. I don't know if its just got more eye relief or what, perhaps seeing the black around the frame like a SLR etc, but I'm just not enjoying the G3 EVF.

Now I used to shoot m4/3 for a while and had a GH1 which I don't remember being too bad.

Is the G3 EVF smaller than the GH1 or have I just gotten used to the X100 display ??

I'm thinking perhaps going back to a GH1 or GH2 if they do have a better EVF as thats really a key point for me.

Again, G3 otherwise is quite nice, and some serious value for the money, but I'm just not finding it very pleasant to shoot with.

Additionally, anyone else think the control dial on the back is too small ? Really awkward to change settings as its so small....

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It isn't that big, wonderful OVF of the X100, but I just held my G3 and X100 (in EVF mode) up together and the G3 EVF does not bother me or seem much different.
My hands are not big, but I don't have trouble with the ergonomics of the G3. I did put AF on the Fn1 button and found that button to be hard to find (by feel), so I put a little rubber spot over the button, and now it works much better.
I enjoy both cameras (as I've had several G1/G2 since G1 first came out.) I think G3 is going to really satisfy me for a long time. I put my Zeiss ZM 50 f/2 on the G3 and have a great compliment to the X100.

I picked up a G3 kit as I've been really impressed with some of the images I've been seeing lately from the camera and also for some of the upcoming lenses like the 25mm f1.4 which looks great.

However, man.... I'm really not enjoying the EVF on the camera. I do enjoy an optical finder first and foremost but on the X100 at least, really find the EVF perfectly usable.

G3 just doesn't seem to compare, looks like an EVF, while the X100 feels pretty much like an optical finder on a DSLR. I don't know if its just got more eye relief or what, perhaps seeing the black around the frame like a SLR etc, but I'm just not enjoying the G3 EVF.

Now I used to shoot m4/3 for a while and had a GH1 which I don't remember being too bad.

Is the G3 EVF smaller than the GH1 or have I just gotten used to the X100 display ??

I'm thinking perhaps going back to a GH1 or GH2 if they do have a better EVF as thats really a key point for me.

Again, G3 otherwise is quite nice, and some serious value for the money, but I'm just not finding it very pleasant to shoot with.

Additionally, anyone else think the control dial on the back is too small ? Really awkward to change settings as its so small....

Pelao

I found the G3 EVF to be great, but only played with it for 20 minutes: I don't have an X100 so can't compare. In terms of specifications, the EVF is top-notch - at least as good as the GH1, but with, as I understand it, a better refresh rate.

They are probably just very different in character. Give it some time?

I did find the control wheel smaller than that on my GF1, but it seemed perfectly workable.

Millsart

I think some of it is just what one gets used to, as I always thought the GH1 EVF worked quite well when it was all I knew.

I was really wondering if the G3 has a smaller or lower rez than what I was used to or if its just my perceptions have changed.

I'm sitting here with both side by side, and the G3 certainly provides a nice sharp display, however it just feels different than the X100 EVF, which I don't believe is really any higher spec.

Hard to describe but it feels like the G3 EVF is right in front of my eye, while the X100 feels like you looking at a more distant, yet bigger display, more more like looking into the VF of a SLR, though of course its a EVF still.

Hard to explain in words. By no means am I saying the G3 EVF is poor, because its quite good for an EVF, but somehow its just feeling awkward and uncomfortable to me.

X100 display even when set to EVF feels natural and comfortable, just like looking through a nice big RF type display.

Not a dealbreaker as there are some other cool features of the G3 of course, such as ability to use multiple lenses but I'm just not taking to it as quickly as I had hoped from what others had posted regarding the camera so far.

Elliot

I'm trying to think what kind of "little rubber spot" I would use on the Fn1 button. It seems like a great idea:thumbup:, as I have the same trouble finding it on the G3. Do you have little rubber spots flying around where you live or did you find them at the hardware store or what? (Forgive me, it's Friday after a long week.)

Elliot

It isn't that big, wonderful OVF of the X100, but I just held my G3 and X100 (in EVF mode) up together and the G3 EVF does not bother me or seem much different.
My hands are not big, but I don't have trouble with the ergonomics of the G3. I did put AF on the Fn1 button and found that button to be hard to find (by feel), so I put a little rubber spot over the button, and now it works much better.
I enjoy both cameras (as I've had several G1/G2 since G1 first came out.) I think G3 is going to really satisfy me for a long time. I put my Zeiss ZM 50 f/2 on the G3 and have a great compliment to the X100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm trying to think what kind of "little rubber spot" I would use on the Fn1 button. It seems like a great idea:thumbup:, as I have the same trouble finding it on the G3. Do you have little rubber spots flying around where you live or did you find them at the hardware store or what? (Forgive me, it's Friday after a long week.)

Elliot
Elliot, LOL I happened to get my spot from a member on another forum. I tried to get more from him, but he is out and has used up all of his material (which can not be purchased...it was from a special project). He had fashioned them for the menu dial on the X100.
I'm thinking that 2 thicknesses of my black gaffers tape should do the trick when this dot falls off. This dot is 6-7mm in diameter. If you could find a punch that size, it would be ideal. I think it could be done with an Xacto knife, if one is patient.
If you or anyone else comes up with a "little rubber spot" solution, please post.
Cindy,

Millsart

I would check at various Radio Shack or similar stores that sell electronic parts. Many devices need those little rubber stick on "feet" to keep them from sliding around and they come in all types of different sizes, from tiny little dots to bigger quarter inch sized ones.

I'd think there has got to be some proper sized ones out there and they are self stick of course and couldn't cost more than a few dollars tops

I certainly like the idea though for hard to press menu buttons

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yes, you could use the stick-on dots sold in sheets, but you may find that they stick up too high. YMMV

Diane B

Just a comment on the G3 EVF. On another forum someone asked about body covering and then EVF comparisons. i gathered my G1 (whose EVF I was amazed with when I first tried it coming from a FF 5D OVF expecting to dislike it), my GF1 whose aux EVF is usable but that's about it and the G3. I used same lens on G1 and G3, same settings. Before this comparison I would have said the G3’s EVF was as good, maybe a "tad" better than G1 but glad I did the comparison. The G3 EVF is QUITE a bit better than G1 EVF.

Diane

m3photo

Re: G* EVFs

... my G1 (whose EVF I was amazed with when I first tried it coming from a FF 5D OVF expecting to dislike it) ../.. The G3 EVF is QUITE a bit better than G1 EVF.
Good to hear Diane. I experienced the exact same "conversion" also coming from the 5D at the time and now switch between the G1 and a Nikon D700 using each tool as necessary. I will be getting a G3 when the body only price stabilizes.

Pelao

Just a comment on the G3 EVF. On another forum someone asked about body covering and then EVF comparisons. i gathered my G1 (whose EVF I was amazed with when I first tried it coming from a FF 5D OVF expecting to dislike it), my GF1 whose aux EVF is usable but that's about it and the G3. I used same lens on G1 and G3, same settings. Before this comparison I would have said the G3’s EVF was as good, maybe a "tad" better than G1 but glad I did the comparison. The G3 EVF is QUITE a bit better than G1 EVF.

Diane
My understanding is that it is basically the same EVF - but with an increased refresh rate, which would, I think, account for the improvement you are seeing. Nice to hear that you like it.

Tesselator

Yeah, I'm not sure it matters what the specs are tho. If Millsart has decided that the X100 system is tits and the G is inferior then that's it - for him. I think for us to carry on - on-topic - we'd need visual or hands-on comparison between the two.

I used an X100 in a poppy field on a slightly overcast day but I guess it was in OVF mode (I didn't even know there was an EVF mode) cuz all I thought was: Hmm, wide... Hmmm, dark... Hmmm, nice overlay system!

For me comparing the GH1 EVF with the X100 view I was looking through I'll take the GH1 9 times out of 10. The one time where an OVF (if that was an OVF??) is better IMO is when shooting super high contrast subjects... Like the moon or something. And even then I would like the EVF better if I could control it's gain instead of that stupid auto-gain that Panasonic has seen fit to implement full-time with no use control.

Unless I's misunderstanding the GH1 menu options or something... :) Am I?

Terry

Clearly someone didn't show you how the use the X100. It has both an EVF and an OVF. If you thought the view was dim then you must have been using the EVF and had the lens stopped down or something. The OVF is incredibly bright. There is a lever on the front to switch between the EVF and OVF views. It is one of the major features of the camera.

Diane B

My understanding is that it is basically the same EVF - but with an increased refresh rate, which would, I think, account for the improvement you are seeing. Nice to hear that you like it.
The last shots I tried were 1600ISO, quite low light (NOT magnified view) and the noise, lower resolution (it appeared, but this isn't my forte') were quite apparent. I had my husband check several also as a non interested viewer. The closer to OVF feeling was quite nice. Obviously its not and when I shoot with my 5D its apparent, but it doesn't feel nearly as "electronic".

Diane

Tesselator

Clearly someone didn't show you how the use the X100. It has both an EVF and an OVF.
Yup, that's what I just said. I'm pretty sure that was OVF tho... An OVF will almost always be darker than an EVF - which is electronically gained. And usually the two aren't mistakable. But as I say, I'm not for sure - I only think so.

Pat Donnelly

From all I have read, there are no detractors from the usability and results of the X100! Remarkable, as even the Leica heads, sorry, have said that it can be superior to their baby. I am really looking forward to the interchangeable version.

In the meantime, Millsart is helping to reshape the future m4/3 interface as the manufacturers check on feedback. I feel for you mate, as if you do not feel comfortable, you will be selling it on!

Maybe to m3photo? He may not want to wait if your offer is good? Even when the interchangeable comes out?

I am just very happy with the EP-1. I drive an Opel Corsa, or Holden Barina, as we calls 'em. It is old and noisy but comfortable. Comfort matters! Buying another body will involve much excitement but only after I sell some lenses and that will take years!