The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

g series batteries

pellicle

Hi

I know that the G1 GF1 and GH1 can interchange battery, but I wonder about other models ... are they each on their own with respect to charger and interoperability?

I have not kept up on this topic:rolleyes:

PS: just found this
The GF2 acquires a new battery, the DMW-BLD10, which is slimmer and therefore has slightly lower capacity than the GF1's (7.3Wh vs 9 Wh). According to CIPA standard tests this should give around 300-320 shots per charge, depending upon the lens used; down from the GF1's 380 shot rating.

hot

G1/G2/GH1/GF1 - GH2 - G3/GF2 have different batteries! Moneymaking Panasonic .... but you can buy for 1/10 of price in China :)
Panasonics batteries also are made in China ... perhaps same machine

BLB13 - BLC12 - BLD10

pellicle

G1/G2/GH1/GF1 - GH2 - G3/GF2 have different batteries! Moneymaking Panasonic ....

ok, so the groups are above separated by the -

Meaning that we have 3 battery groups:
- G1/G2/GH1/GF1
- GH2
- G3/GF2

I surmise this as I have a GH1 and had a G1 at the same time and know the battery works in them. I assume then that GF-1 uses the same.

pellicle

How stupid is that.... :confused:
annoying isn't it!! Canon seem to be doing similar things ... its an epidemic of marketing numbskulls

Means that I should buy a GH2 rather than a G3 to supplement my GH1 (or vice versa).
yeah, I'd buy the GH2 and then use the GH1 as the suppliment ... or perhaps even sell it ... if it was worth selling.

sigh

hot

Batteries are good second incomes ... buying ... and selling for 10x price.
Same like printer inks ... more expensive than 1848 champagner.

My refills of Canon cartdriges (priced € 8.99 - € 12.99): € 0.20 - done within 2 minutes. Swiss ink or Chinese ink - SAME quality like Canon!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't worry too much about the price of batteries, but having to carry different batteries and chargers when travelling is just plain annoying. An extra charger kills the size advantage of the G3. It's as simple as that. I would have loved to buy an E-P3 as my second travel body, but different batteries, different charger and an external viewfinder... forget it.

Diane B

Yes, G1 and GF1 same batteries. i have 3 I share between them. The G3 has GF2 battery and a different charger. Its one of the direct to wall, prongs fold down which is nice to travel. I had ordered Panasonic battery pre delivery of G3 but would love to add a generic one. i understand it won't be read by camera for amount but that's okay as I have 2 others.

Not sure what camera (likely G1 since G3 is even slightly smaller than my GF1 with EVF) I'll add as second for travel but I'm not going to take second charger, just my 3 charged batteries. IF I decide to carry 5D too----well LOL. Becoming less and less likely though and when I can process some G3 RAWs I'll decide.

pellicle

I don't worry too much about the price of batteries, but having to carry different batteries and chargers when travelling is just plain annoying. An extra charger kills the size advantage of the G3. .
I'm not so worried about the extra charger (its not usually heavy) but the fact that the batteries are not interchangeable is very annoying.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It doesn't matter both use a battery different than the GH1.
Oh noes.... I am doomed :(

Can it, from a technological viewpoint, really be necessary to introduce a new battery for every new flavour of Panasonic G? Things like that really makes me want to stay with Nikon, or better even; go back to Olympus OM :mad:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not so worried about the extra charger (its not usually heavy) but the fact that the batteries are not interchangeable is very annoying.
Plus the fact that I have to remember to bring different chargers and batteries for each and every camera. I do forget things sometimes (just ask my ex-wife), and this just makes life even more complicated :(

Anybody who knows if there are still new GH1s available?