The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pany shutter cable ?

Steve Fines

Hi,

Does anyone here know the wiring of the Pany (g1, 2, 3) shutter cable port?

I just got a GigaPan and it comes with a Canon cable. The jack fits the Pana G3, but the Gigapan manual says the wiring is different and won't work with the Pany. I've confirmed this.

My hunch is that I just need to switch a couple of wires, but I thought I'd ask before frying the new camera.

My googling hasn't turned up the answer, but I'm on a 3G phone as my area hasn't had internet since a big storm Friday night, and so I've likely just missed it.

Thanks,

kds315

It is not just switching wires, you also have to have the right impedance switched from what I know (from a different project) - but sorry no details on hand.

Terry

Hi,

I just got a GigaPan and it comes with a Canon cable. The jack fits the Pana G3, but the Gigapan manual says the wiring is different and won't work with the Pany. I've confirmed this.

My hunch is that I just need to switch a couple of wires, but I thought I'd ask before frying the new camera.

My googling hasn't turned up the answer, but I'm on a 3G phone as my area hasn't had internet since a big storm Friday night, and so I've likely just missed it.

Thanks,
can the cable from the GigaPan be removed? If so have a look at these and see if the connector is the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Studiohut-Con...c-compatible/dp/B0040ZD4JK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_4

I have this intravelometer and you can get different cables for it so I have a Canon and Panny cable

http://www.amazon.com/Studiohut-Con...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309711671&sr=1-2

Steve Fines

Wow - how did the world get by before forums?

Thanks for the great info. Have a couple of cables with the built in resistors ordered and will have a go at putting them together when they arrive.

The cable on the Gigapan end has a proprietary (or at least different) shape. My first try will just be to splice that connector onto the Pany cable, but if that doesn't work I'll be back for some more help.

Thanks again,

Ive got an interval timer / remote release for Canon digital cameras that does not work with my Panny G2. Regarding that Studiohut timer on Amazon, are the cables interchangeable? If so, it's just a straight forward task to replace the timer's existing cable with the one in the eBay link and the new combination will work on a Panasonic Lumix with no problem? Forgive me for my simple questions but I know nothing about electronics.

Actually on eBay, I have seen some inexpensive interval timers from China supposedly for the Panny G1 / G2 models etc. I'm just guessing (and hoping) that they would work right out of the box. Well...only one way to find out.

hot

I've different timers/shutters - and always buy such things with not-fixed cables.
So cables are interchangeable for my cameras.

Steve Fines

Wahoo !!

So I ordered the wireless remote mentioned by 'hot'.

It arrived today. I cut it open and it had three wires inside - red, yellow, and black.

I cut open the Canon cable that came with the Gigapan and it had three wires inside - red, yellow and white.

So I hooked red-red, yellow-yellow and white-black and sure enough it worked perfectly!

So this is how you make a cable to fire a Pany camera with a Gigapan.

Off to swim with the kiddos, but I'll get a pano of some type posted soon. I'm excited to try the G3 with the 14-140 and 100-300 with some gigapans - should be a great combo of light weight and long focal lengths.

Thanks again Senior Member hot of Austria !

Oh yeah - I actually ordered two remotes in case I botched the first, but now I also have a great cheap remote for the G3.

Millsart

m4/3 works fantastic with the Gigapan Epic 100

Only downside of the whole system is the battery life of the Gigapan itself

HansenTsang

Hi,

Thanks,
I know you have solved your situation. This is in case some one do a Google on the internet in the future and stumble on this thread. I had to make a remote shutter release for my Panasonic G1 and GH2 recently and here is what I have found.

The remote jack is a 4 band 2.5 mm jack. The band farthest from the tip is the ground. The second band up is the control for the shutter and focus. There are four resisters involved. One 36 K Ohm. One 3 K Ohm and one 2 K Ohm. Normally all of them are in series and you get 41 K Ohm across the second band and the ground band. When you short out the 36 K Ohm you get 5 K Ohm and the camera will focus if you have it on auto focus. When you short out the 3 K Ohm you will get 2 K Ohm left on the line and the shutter will fire.

HansenTsang

Do YOU read postings (#4)? :D ;)

I read the post but didn't click on the link. I am glad you put the picture here. That really helps. I am glad the resistance I found is the same as the one on the diagram. I did it by measuring with an Ohm meter.

B

BJ Nicholls

After studying your thread, I'm trying to build a cable for my Gigapan Epic 100 to work with my Panasonic G2.

My Epic 100 didn't come with a Canon cable - just the button-pusher assembly. I bought a Canon cable from Gigapan for the Epic 100. This cable only uses two of the three wires in the cable - red and white. The yellow wire doesn't go into the black header that plugs into the Epic.

I picked up a Panasonic-cabled version of the IR remote shown above. On the three-band jack end of that cable, the internal wires are red, white, and blue. I presumed that the red and white wires are the same as described above, but red>red and white>white isn't working.

As I troubleshoot this, it would be helpful to know if the Gigapan described above is the Epic 100. I assume that the shutter mode in Expert Options is set to Remote since if I plug in the Canon cable with the Epic 100 with Button Pusher for the shutter mode, the Epic displays an error message.

C

Caslon

Yes, the Epic should be set to remote.
Make sure you cut the right end of the cable for anyone doing this-- the 4 pin end goes in the camera. Mine connected red-red, black-white, yell-yelo.

C

Caslon

Probably going to Shenzhen sometime in the next month or so.

Would it be worth while to ask JJC to make us some custom cables?
Any takers?

Caslon