The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 and GH-1 motion jpeg comparison?

jac0224

Hi, all,

I am looking at using an autofocus camera with video for kids swimming/activities. I have a GH-1 and have found that I prefer using the motion jpeg video feature over the AVHD due to downloading and playback issues. I primarily shoot short (less than 3 or 4 minutes) videos for emailing / playback on the computer. Question: since this is the limit of my video usage, does the GF-1 provide an 'equal' mode for video? I've found that I really don't use the majority of the GH-1 still abilities and am thinking the GF-1 will suffice for my needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MRfanny

gf1 will suit your needs fine if you are not too fussed. mjpeg on both are 720, not too sure if there is codec bitrate variation though. the gh1 has better video capabilities however and playback can simply be overcome by using VLC player or splashlite for avchd. mjpeg file sizes are huge compared to avchd. mjpeg is limited to 4gb in file size which is just a bit over 2mins of continuous recording i think. gf1 unhacked does not give you full manual controls in video like the gh1 either.

the only decent video auto-focus lens(daytime) is the 14-140mm so hold onto that if you have it, not sure if it will perform just as well on the gf1 considering it was kitted up with the gh1 in mind.

I purchased my gh1 strictly for video purposes.

ggibson

Honestly, if you're just doing simple editing and sharing w/ friends, the GF1 would be fine. The main thing I wish for in video from my GF1 is actual 60 FPS recording (or faster) and a better mic. I like the manual video controls offered by the hack, but the GF2's stereo mic is better if you want good sound (not sure how it compares to the GH1).

I have a video I made here if you want to see a hacked GF1 in action:
http://www.vimeo.com/23469992