The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried Olympus wide converter for PEN?

sagar

I know most of folks here have 9-18 or 7-14 lenses, but if anyone tried wide angle converter for PEN, please share your feedback and pictures.
I am thinking about it as a stop gap till Olympus updates 9-18 to 9-18R.

Godfrey

Fitting front element wide converters onto Pen lenses is not a good idea. It will stress the focusing motor too much and will certainly degrade performance.

Others on my flickr group have tried it with invariably poor results.

Godfrey

Errr... Olympus makes wide/fisheye/macro converters specifically for the 2nd version of the 14-42mm. Are you saying it's not a good idea to use these?

Some sample shots here:
http://translate.google.com/transla.../review/longterm/20110307_430377.html?ref=rss

Seems like a fun alternative if you're looking for something low-cost. The quality is probably fine for smaller prints/web stuff/video.
If it's made for the lens, it will likely work ok. I thought Sagar was referring to the older front lens converters designed for other camera models, which do not work well.