The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 for ambient dance & gym

dick

I hate single-on-camera-flash pictures - high contrast, dark background... but you can use room light as fill.

Someone has to do it, and this Saturday I will be photographing dancing girls and gymnasts... mostly posed, but some moving or not very stable in a pose.

I would like to avoid having to set up the H4D-60 and studio flash, and I have 4 big Metzes I might use (I have the SCA adapter for the GH2)... but I was hoping to get some nice "natural light" pictures with the GH2... the 20mm f1.7 arrives tomorrow, but it is a bit wide... but the pictures are only for my wife's Web site...

Is the stabilization so good I do not need a tripod for the static shots?

Colour accuracy is not very important, so what ISO is usable?

Thinking of single-on-camera-flash for low fill, it seems that the GH2 will not work upside-down?

How good is the sport mode?

With the depth-of-field problem, for web work, will the GH2 produce better pictures than the H4D-60?

I used the H3D11-50 in the gallery in the same hall with the Elinchromes for static poses, but, in the main hall, the Elinchromes might be more trouble than they would be worth - but I could just blast them all off the ceiling as additional fill?

C

curious80

... the 20mm f1.7 arrives tomorrow, but it is a bit wide... but the pictures are only for my wife's Web site...

Is the stabilization so good I do not need a tripod for the static shots?

GH2 does not have in-body stabilization and the 20mm 1.7 lens does not have stabilization either.

dick

GH2 does not have in-body stabilization and the 20mm 1.7 lens does not have stabilization either.
The 14-140 has stabilization, does it not? what about the 14-42?

The 14-42 is a little wider at F3.5 instead of f4, but the 14-140 is a better lens at all focal lengths?

The 20mm f1.7 would not need very fast shutter speeds to make camera shake tolerable, would it?

I am going to a gym class this afternoon to try it out, but the 20mm still has not arrived.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: 20mm f/1.7

T
The 20mm f1.7 would not need very fast stutter speeds to make camera shake tolerable, would it?
Or shutter speeds ... :D
No, seriously, also bear in mind that the 20mm is one of the few lenses that you can use at its maximum aperture with excellent results:

Both with G1+20mm f/1.7 @ f/1.7

dick

Re: 20mm f/1.7

Or shutter speeds ... :D
No, seriously, also bear in mind that the 20mm is one of the few lenses that you can use at its maximum aperture with excellent results:

Both with G1+20mm f/1.7 @ f/1.7
Thanks - what shutter speed and ISO were you using?

Does the colour look not too bad at ISO 1600 or what?

(My 20mm f1.7 has just arrived - and I am out to use it on gymnasts soon.)

m3photo

1/30th of a second or thereabouts at ISO 100. ISO 1600 on a G1 is a total waste of time; I don't go above ISO 200, that's why I'm looking to buy a G3.

dick

1/30th of a second or thereabouts at ISO 100. ISO 1600 on a G1 is a total waste of time; I don't go above ISO 200, that's why I'm looking to buy a G3.
Thanks...

Today I found that 1/500th was about OK for cart-wheeling gymnasts, and (without uploading to the computer) it seems that 400 or 800 or 1600 ISO is usable... but I need to look at them in PS.

DOF is limited at f1.7, even with micro 4/3.

It seems that 20mm f2.8 on 4/3 gives you about the same DOF as f11 on 120mm on 645 at 3 meters.