The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SLRMagic 11mm f1.4 and 12mm f1.6 lens

Photomorgana

Not too crazy about samples. But I guess, its not terribly bad considering its a cctv lens with build it wide angle converter. (at least thats whay I think it is)

zcream

I have used a noktor with a wide converter and the picture seems to be worse than this. Is that really what this is ?

hot

SLRmagic sells cheap cctv lenses for high prices. You can get them from other sources for 1/3 to 1/5 of price.

ekoe

I saw the SLRMagic 12mm/f1.6 on the 4/3 rumors site, and I commented that it appeared to be a pre-existing 24mm/f1.6 CCTV lens with a wide angle converter added. Shortly afterward, I was contacted through flickr by an individual in China, who has insider knowledge of the SLRMagic lens from the Chinese factory that produces the lens for SLRMagic.

Here is an excerpt from that message: "I write to you because I have found you reply to the post of 12mm Noktor in 43rumors.com and your modification material about the 12.5mm Fujinon lens. I am really impressed. Let me share some information with you. You have mentioned the 12mm f/1.6 Noktor might be a lens with longer focal length adding a wide angle converter in front of it. That’s not the actual story. In fact, I have got some secret slipping from the manufacturer in China. SLR magic always sources some cheap or economic lens to rebrand and repackage it to make a profit, either the 12mm lens using the same technique. The 12mm lens in fact is modified from a 12mm f/2.5 CCTV lens for 1/2” sensor. It can’t cover the whole sensor until she shifts the lens element to enlarge the image circle. At the same time, she also enlarges the diameter inside wider for larger aperture. But it causes hazy image. It may not be good but it should be fine to the user because it can be seen as Lomo style! LOL. However, the manufacturer claims that SLR magic just monopolized the design and the lens will be exclusively made under this specification. So that’s no way to buy them except through SLR magic."

He also linked to a photograph of the original lens, and it does appear to be the same lens, but from the photo it seems to me that they have added a wide angle adapter to the front. The individual offered to provide several of the lenses to me so that I may attempt to modify them, but I declined because I'm already busy with my Fujinon 12.5mm/1.4 mod.

So, SLRMagic is really bending the truth by stating they have designed the lens for m4/3. What they have done is to modify a cheap, pre-existing, low-quality Chinese CCTV lens as we all suspect and as we all know them to do.

I really would not waste my time with the SLRMagic lenses. I saw someone post a price of $499 for the SLRMagic 12mm/1.6 lens, which was apparently stated on SLRMagic's twitter feed. :loco:

A much better decision, in terms of cost, image quality and build quality, would be my Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/f1.4 mod: http://www.flickr.com/groups/c-mount_/discuss/72157626729448835/

BTW, zcream, if you're still interested you should send me your Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/1.4. It would be my pleasure to modify it for you, as you were the individual who brought the possibility of the modification to our attention here.

Pat Donnelly

Do not forget that Taiwan and Korea are also possible sources of very good cctv lenses?

Mostly, as Zcream knows too well!, we are concerned about wide angle lenses for c mount. These have to be 1 inch sensor only! Unless you use the digital zoom on a panny. I have come across some of these lenses via google, so they were made. Very few still being made or in stock nowadays as the small cheap sensors are good enough and have taken over!

Factories going out of business and security companies will have second hand examples? The thing about Pentax Q Kenko and maybe Nikon, will be that even 1/2 sensor lenses will cover the sensor small though it may be!