The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How long have i got?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
I won't use the heavy lenses for racing, since large apertures are rarely needed. The 50-200 is perfect for that and has similar reach to the 80-200 plus 300mm that I use now. The alternatives for Nikon would be the 80-400, which focuses too slowly or the Bigma, which is a beast to handle, particularly when doing pan shots all day long. Front-heavy lenses are no fun for pan shots, since they put too much strain on the left arm.

For shorter focal lengths, the 14-54/II is perfect, and is much lighter and has more reach than the Nikkor 17-55. The Nikkor also lacks VR.
Understand, maybe I should also consider the 50-200 ;)

WRT 14-54/II, why not take the 12-60? This is really UNIQUE and also not too heavy

ekoe

If you definitely want/need the E-30 or E-5 and a new model is released... What's wrong with a lightly used E-30 or E-5?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Understand, maybe I should also consider the 50-200 ;)

WRT 14-54/II, why not take the 12-60? This is really UNIQUE and also not too heavy
The 12-60 is an alternative that I consider, particularly for the wide end, but it's 50% more expensive (I try to save up for the 14-35mm as well) and a bit bigger/heavier. It's mostly a financial question, but I also suspect that the 14-54 will handle better on m4/3 bodies. I haven't tried any of them on the smaller bodies yet though, but will borrow the 12-60 later this summer to check it out.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 12-60 is an alternative that I consider, particularly for the wide end, but it's 50% more expensive (I try to save up for the 14-35mm as well) and a bit bigger/heavier. It's mostly a financial question, but I also suspect that the 14-54 will handle better on m4/3 bodies. I haven't tried any of them on the smaller bodies yet though, but will borrow the 12-60 later this summer to check it out.
I have borrowed the 12-60 and own the 14-35. Despite the higher speed of the 14-35 I prefer the 12-60: much lighter, much faster AF and tack sharp!

With my knowledge today I would not buy the 14-35 again, because I actually prefer some primes for fast lenses, e.g. the 1.4/25, 1.4/30, 1.4/50 etc. Much faster than 2.0 and much more compact. Although the 14-35 for sure is very flexible as a zoom. But you carry a huge weight.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If you definitely want/need the E-30 or E-5 and a new model is released... What's wrong with a lightly used E-30 or E-5?
Nothing wrong with the E5, only that it is not as small and light as the other Olympus 43 bodies. Depends very much on your needs (size, lenses, robustness) what you prefer.

Godfrey

... Godfrey, i would dearly love SHG lenses but they are most definitly beyond my price range and i dont think my photos would be any better for spending thousands rather than hundreds, however some of the HG lenses are possible but not all at the same time obviously :LOL:
So keeping my fingers crossed Olympus keep the E5 around for another 16 months at least and i might be able to get one. For the time being i will look to get a couple of lenses. I should get my lightmeter in the next couple of weeks so i will be back to experimenting with flash but this time i can meter the ratios properly.
The SHG lenses are all wonderful performers, but I don't own any of them either as they are simply more expensive than I need/want to spend money on, and their speed makes them bulky and heavy.

The HG lenses are what I was thinking of: the 14-54, 11-22, and 50-200 make for an extremely capable and high quality system, that is also reasonably compact and modest in weight. And f/2.8-3.5 is generally fast enough. Some primes as well ... the Summilux 25, 35 and 50 Macros ... are super quality and sensible in size/weight/price.

My kit is the E-5 plus 11-22, Summilux 25, 35 Macro, 50 Macro, Nikkor 85 plus the EC14 telextender. It's a great setup and everything I need to carry (body+lens+three additional lenses) fits with plenty of room to spare for other stuff in a Tenba Mini Messenger (along with iPad or even MBP 13" in a pinch).

(Even with that said, I'm debating whether I need all this gear. My photography is moving to a "simpler" subject domain using fewer lenses, even lighter and smaller equipment is becoming more appropriate. Since I bought the GXR, I've hardly touched the SLR kit, and when I have I've mostly used the E-1 body and the macro lenses for tabletop work. I'd like to complement the GXR with a Leica M8 or M9 body some time in the nearish future. So I might well have some gear for sale ...)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Godfrey,
Have you tried the 1.4x TC with the 11-22? Yes, I know, odd combo, but if it works well, it might save me a few dimes and a few hundred grams as well.

Godfrey

Godfrey,
Have you tried the 1.4x TC with the 11-22? Yes, I know, odd combo, but if it works well, it might save me a few dimes and a few hundred grams as well.
I tried it once. Results didn't thrill me. It's a superb telextender, and not cheap, but it is definitely optimized for longer focal length lenses. It works best with the 35 and 50 macros, the 50-200, and the 150 Oly lenses that I've used it with. I use it now with the Macros and with the Nikkor 85.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Godfrey,
The TC 1.4 works in general much better with longer focal lengths. I use it with the 35-100, actually it is constantly on this lens meanwhile and I am VERY PLEASED with the results.

Just to put this statement in context: I always had a 1.4 TC from all other brands I worked with like Nikon and Canon, but i rarely used it because IQ degraded significantly - not so with the Olympus TC and lenses! And for the 50-200 it works just fine!

Tesselator

Hi All,
Tesselator, thanks for the links. I looked at them and one is very tempting but the others wont ship to CZ, think im gonna have to wait again as i have my wedding anniversary soon and my wifes birthday so if i go on a spending spree for myself i could be selling all my gear for lawyers fees !!!!!
Surre NP. There are many sources to check out before you give up tho - I just checked one out. I mean, if you're set on the E›30 then might as well. I'd be asking myself what the price and feature differences were about now - but what is the E›5 anyway, double or triple the E›30 price?

Godfrey

Surre NP. There are many sources to check out before you give up tho - I just checked one out. I mean, if you're set on the E›30 then might as well. I'd be asking myself what the price and feature differences were about now - but what is the E›5 anyway, double or triple the E›30 price?
The E-30, body only, was $1149 when last available new at B&H, the E-5 body is $1699 at present. That's a $550 or roughly 30% premium for the full magnesium-clad body, weather sealing, dual-slot IO setup, video capture, faster responsiveness, much larger and brighter SLR viewfinder, a bazillion more features, pro-grade build quality, etc etc.

I thought long and hard about buying the E-30 before buying the E-5. The premium was well worth it to me.

JGH

Just found a used E30 with a 50-200 SWD, EC14 and a std 14-42 for 1300 uk pounds (40,000 CZK) but the wife said no...
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JGH

Hi All,
An amazing thing happened on thursday evening. I was looking on Aukro (Czech Ebay equivelent) for some lenses and thought i would see what cameras people were selling, well to my suprise there was an E30 body which looked in mint condition.
I checked to see if there were any bids on it as i had just lost out on some other items i wanted as was a bit miffed but the item was a "buy now" only.
Well the adrenalin was pumping then i can tell you and i had to make a quick call to my wife (she was in England at the time) to see if she was in agreement.......she was :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :D :D
So as she said "yeah, ok" i hit the buy now button.
It arrived today and came with an extra battery and a remote trigger and the good part is it was only 12650 CZK (about £422) inc postage. This is about half the price of a new body here except there are no new bodys here...!
The really good part is when i checked the shutter actuation count in the menu. It had 10953 :) :) its barely run in... fantastic !!!
Im very grateful to the woman who sold it and i even bought an Olympus backpack from her too so i can keep all my gear together. My wife says i have spent my camera allowance for this year :shocked::cry:
I still cant believe i found a like new hardly used E30. So the E5 plan is probably scrubbed now and it will be HG lenses next year.

Im a happy camper now and will be learning the new layout and metering over the next few weeks. I love the viewfinder. It is perfect for my dodgy eyes and the lenses i have seem to focus faster too.
Im glad i didnt go to Nikon last year now.

Thanks

J :salute: