The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Precision for IR Conversion - no infinity w/7-14mm

I

Infrared-IR

I just got my Lumix G1 back from Precision today, it was converted to full time 715nm IR operation.

I sent the camera to Precision because of the many testimonials read in this forum regarding the quality of the Precision conversion.

I sent the camera in with the 14-45mm (Original) Panasonic Kit lens. While the camera was being converted (it took close to a month) I bought the wonderful Panasonic 7-14mm super wide lens.

My converted G1 works wonderfully with the 14-45mm lens....but it makes no attempt to focus the 7-14mm when zoomed to 7mm. It does try and focus it when zoomed to 14mm. But in all cases, the converted G1 does not achieve Infinity focus at any position of the zoom range with the 7-14mm.

Switching to manual focus, I see clearly that the converted camera cannot reach infinity with the 7-14!!

I saw many examples of Cindy Flood's Precision Converted G1 and her 7-14mm and it looks great. Did she have her G1 specifically calibrated for the 7-14mm?

Should I have expected better performance out of the 7-14 on the converted G1 if the G1 was not specifically calibrated for the 7-14?

If the converted G1 were to be calibrated for the 7-14 could I have expected the same "no infinity focus" problem out of the 14-45mm Zoom?

Would appreciate others' experiences....

-=[ Bruce ]=-

Don Libby

Sorry I can't address your specific question however, have you contacted Mike Soares at Precision? Not certain he's still there as it's been several years since I had a camera converted by them. My experience was that they very quickly answer all questions regarding IR.

I

Infrared-IR

Thanks Don...

I have written an email to Precision. I will let you know if they ever answer it. Several attempts to communicate with them via email while my camera was in for conversion...never a reply.

I do see the converted G1 will focus the 14~45 and my Oly 4/3 40~150, but it won't focus the 7-14 or the 40mm f1.7.

Ugh!!.

Terry

They will get back to you or look up their phone number and call.
Easiest thing will probably be to send camera and 7-14 back in to them.
They have always given good service to everyone I know.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My last G1 conversion focused perfectly with the 7-14mm. I foolishly sold it. I wrote yesterday to Precision about having a G3 converted. I will send a 7-14 with it. Keep us posted, Bruce. and I will report back when I hear anything, too.
Bruce, I did not send the 7-14mm in to Precision last time. I'm pretty sure I sent the kit lens...positive it wasn't the 7-14.

I

Infrared-IR

Good to hear from you Cindy...

Did your converted G1 also focus other lenses okay, as well as the 7-14mm?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Bruce, My Pen-F 38 had an infinity problem. All the rest worked fine. (Pen-F 20, kit lens, 45-200, 7-14).
I just tried to call Precision 5x. There is something seriously wrong with their phone system. I went around and round and finally got "this mailbox is full"...goodbye.