The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Odd move by Olympus

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re. the VF-2: I am using one on the XZ-1—but the form factor is really altered for the worse with this addition. I wold much prefer a built in one (à la X-100) and Uwe's remarks re. the G3 make perfect sense there. I have had all the small bodied cameras: LX-3 (x2!), LX-5, S90, GF-1, something else I forget now, both DPs, and the XZ-1, all in an effort to get something that will fit a pocket... but all need an external finder. The finder means that sliding in and out of a pocket will not happen (at least for me).

And I have kept the G1 all that time, and its three lovely primes. Must mean something!

XZ-1 with integrated finder—even if a cm or two taller—makes a whole lot of sense to me. Please, someone, make this.
+1

rparmar

I actually could not care less about what Olympus marketing strategists think the world wants and needs. I want them to bring the products I need today and which can be built today (see Panasonic WRT built in EVF and MP count of sensor). They still could differentiate for different market segments with different models and versions - but not leave out the high end demanding amateur or pro. This strategy is not good IMHO!
Could not agree more.

That's the really curious thing for me: I'm interested in these cameras primarily for their versatility in use with manual lenses. 16 vs 24 Mpixel.. Eh, who cares really? It's how well they work as a platform for the lenses I want to use, how good the control ergonomics and capabilities are, and the quality of the viewfinder options that matter far more to me. It's how they enable my vision through being usable and responsive that makes a difference.
Ditto. Someone better wake up Olympus and tell them. Why do we have to use a crummy rotary controller? Why is ISO not directly addressable on a dial -- any dial? Why is it so annoying to bracket? There are many ways to improve the ergonomics, not least of which would be to add a second dial. It's easy to get this right -- just copy Pentax SLRs!

As for the EVF, I have four good reasons to want one built-in: 1. it's far cheaper, than buying an accessory; 2. I can use the hot-shoe for my flash trigger; 3. the overall size is reduced and form factor improved; 4. it's one less thing to forget, lose, or break off. Wait, maybe that's six good reasons.

Godfrey

... Ditto. Someone better wake up Olympus and tell them. Why do we have to use a crummy rotary controller? Why is ISO not directly addressable on a dial -- any dial? Why is it so annoying to bracket? There are many ways to improve the ergonomics, not least of which would be to add a second dial. It's easy to get this right -- just copy Pentax SLRs!

As for the EVF, I have four good reasons to want one built-in: 1. it's far cheaper, than buying an accessory; 2. I can use the hot-shoe for my flash trigger; 3. the overall size is reduced and form factor improved; 4. it's one less thing to forget, lose, or break off. Wait, maybe that's six good reasons.
I wish Olympus would make a pro-grade mFT camera with the same attention to the detail of these things that they do with the E-1, E-3 and E-5. I love how those cameras handle. They seem obviously designed by a completely different team than the people doing the consumer grade models. The Ricoh GXR I'm enjoying so much is great because it has excellent ergonomics to begin with and is nicely customizable to my needs.

I like having the EVF be an option because I find I don't use it that much and it is somewhat bulky. I prefer a simple optical viewfinder and the LCD a great deal of the time. I think they should leave the silly little popup flash units out entirely and just put a second flash connection shoe on the camera for use with RF sync, etc.

Different strokes. ;-)

DHart

I'm really surprised Olympus hasn't offered a model with a built in EVF.

First day I used my GF1 in full sun I ordered the LVF1. Resolution kinda sucks, but it gets the job done at minimal cost. Bit of a pain to have to bring it along, though and mount it and dismount it and when it's on the camera the nice form factor is killed.

Better yet... the G3! Small size, somewhat sleek form factor, built in EVF, fully articulating screen, great IQ, relatively low noise at higher ISOs, there's a LOT to like about this and I think Oly is missing out big time on this market.

Speaking about the LX5 - wow, I love my LX5 and would not want to give it up... I use it all the time when I want small and convenient for casual grab shots.

I have used the LVF1 on my LX5, but typically just shoot it with LCD. The accessory I use quite a lot on my LX5 is the Wide Angle lens - I love that on the LX5 - even though I have the 7-14 form my GF1 and GH2. There is something I really like about the LX5 with the WA lens. I could just as easily grab the GF1 with the 7-14, but then I'd need to bring another lens along for longer lens needs. I'm surprised at how much I use my LX5 and how much I love it. It creates awesome images for a relatively small camera. I got the WA lens because I find myself often at the widest (24mm) setting on the LX5 and wishing for a bit more field of view... the WA takes it to around 16mm or so, if I recall correctly, and you can zoom the lens while the WA lens is attached, which is great.

I would also love an LX5 with a built in EVF and wouldn't mind a slight bump in form factor to gain that - it would be a killer camera! Of it the XZ-1 focal length came down to 24mm and included a built in EVF, that would be ok too.