The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for E-P3?

DHart

As a Lumix m4/3 shooter from the early days of m4/3, I am very comfortable and happy with the GF1, GH2, and soon to add G3. That said, I agree that the E-P3 has a nice form factor and would be a cool camera to have. I wouldn't give up a GH2 or G3 to have an E-P3, however. Perhaps Panasonic will finally come out with a high end GF model (GF pro?) that would have a low profile (or no hump) EVF and articulating screen. I'd buy something like that in a heartbeat.

T

thearne3

Different strokes...

I love my E-P3. I like the flexibility of having or not having the EVF on it. I like the form - so much like the camera I grew up with: OM1/2. That camera body was no bigger than the E-Px's and no one complained about 'looking foolish' or 'can't handle' big lenses. Many admired what Oly was able to accomplish in size and ergonomics at the time. The ever increasing size of DSLRs is one of the main reasons we're all here.

Would I accect/want a built-in EVF? Well, if it were no more obtrusive than the OMs, yes. I'd also prefer it on the left side -there is no longer have a need for center VF and the RF-style positioning only makes sense (who wants their nose stuck in a camera)?

I love the fact that Oly and Panny are both such viable lines!

Best,
Tom

Millsart

Tom, did you every try to shoot a 200-600mm equiv lens on your OM though ? I doubt anyone complained about it handling "big lenses" because I doubt there were any.

Have you actually tried the 100-300 on the EP3 even ? I find 600mm equiv is difficult to shoot even with the GH2. Thats a lot of focal length and it really does require some technique for sharp files. Even with EVF and my hands giving two points of contact its tough.

I just can't have any luck with the EP3 and that lens. Its not well balanced, there isn't enough grip, and holding 600mm with arms outstretched is just the worst possible way to shoot.

I think the VF2 would help a bit, but then again, I kinda figure if I spend nearly $300 for a VF, why not just keep the GH2 and the EP3. Having a Gh2 is far more useful than just sticking a nearly $300 awkward looking VF on the PEN I suppose

Different strokes...

I love my E-P3. I like the flexibility of having or not having the EVF on it. I like the form - so much like the camera I grew up with: OM1/2. That camera body was no bigger than the E-Px's and no one complained about 'looking foolish' or 'can't handle' big lenses. Many admired what Oly was able to accomplish in size and ergonomics at the time. The ever increasing size of DSLRs is one of the main reasons we're all here.

Would I accect/want a built-in EVF? Well, if it were no more obtrusive than the OMs, yes. I'd also prefer it on the left side -there is no longer have a need for center VF and the RF-style positioning only makes sense (who wants their nose stuck in a camera)?

I love the fact that Oly and Panny are both such viable lines!

Best,
Tom

Terry

I've been practicing with the 100-300 and am finding a monopod useful. With the monopod it also becomes much easier to use both touch focus and touch shutter. I know that increases the size of the kit but the 100-300 is not exactly part of a street shooting stealth kit.

Tom, did you every try to shoot a 200-600mm equiv lens on your OM though ? I doubt anyone complained about it handling "big lenses" because I doubt there were any.

Have you actually tried the 100-300 on the EP3 even ? I find 600mm equiv is difficult to shoot even with the GH2. Thats a lot of focal length and it really does require some technique for sharp files. Even with EVF and my hands giving two points of contact its tough.

I just can't have any luck with the EP3 and that lens. Its not well balanced, there isn't enough grip, and holding 600mm with arms outstretched is just the worst possible way to shoot.

I think the VF2 would help a bit, but then again, I kinda figure if I spend nearly $300 for a VF, why not just keep the GH2 and the EP3. Having a Gh2 is far more useful than just sticking a nearly $300 awkward looking VF on the PEN I suppose

ptomsu

Workshop Member
G3 has IQ as at least as good as the GH2 without the extensive video control. I have both and for day to day shooting keep picking up the G3 over the GH2.
Knowing IQ from GH2 and from EP2 I still prefer EP2 - sorry. So if G3 is as good as GH2 then ok, I will prefer my EP3 then in terms of IQ :D

What a lot of people do not like in the EP series is that it does not have built in EVF. Which s a big benefit of the G3 and other Panasonics. But lack of built in IS and lack of IQ I am used from Olympus still do not compensate enough to go for a G3.

Obviously not all cameras are equally ok for all users ..... old story, right?

Terry

Knowing IQ from GH2 and from EP2 I still prefer EP2 - sorry. So if G3 is as good as GH2 then ok, I will prefer my EP3 then in terms of IQ :D

What a lot of people do not like in the EP series is that it does not have built in EVF. Which s a big benefit of the G3 and other Panasonics. But lack of built in IS and lack of IQ I am used from Olympus still do not compensate enough to go for a G3.

Obviously not all cameras are equally ok for all users ..... old story, right?
I was simply commenting on your comment back to Hot about him being wrong about preferring other Panasonic's to the GH2. My comment had nothing to do with the Panasonic IQ vs the Oly IQ.

I'm not going to touch the IQ differences because I shoot RAW and the distinction between Oly Jpegs and Panasonic jpegs isn't a factor.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was simply commenting on your comment back to Hot about him being wrong about preferring other Panasonic's to the GH2. My comment had nothing to do with the Panasonic IQ vs the Oly IQ.

I'm not going to touch the IQ differences because I shoot RAW and the distinction between Oly Jpegs and Panasonic jpegs isn't a factor.
I am also exclusively shooting RAW. But with the right processing SW the Oly files look (far) better to me on my screens as the Panasonic files - even from GH2. So if G3 has similar IQ as GH2 then I know I would not prefer it above a EP3.

But I was commenting on the lineup mentioned by HOT, as he listed G1 and GH1, he prefers to GH2, which I cannot follow. Or did I get something wrong because I did not exactly follow all the posts in this thread?

hot

Hehe, I never use RAW - if you have good cameras, you do not ned (lifetime consuming) RAW.
It's the same like believing to need a RollsRoyce to get fresh rolls from backery next street.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hehe, I never use RAW - if you have good cameras, you do not ned (lifetime consuming) RAW.
It's the same like believing to need a RollsRoyce to get fresh rolls from backery next street.
Sorry to say, but it is exactly the other way round for RAW - maybe you will find out one day.

WRT RollsRoyce you are right though.

Millsart

What makes you prefer the G3 over the GH2 out of curiosity ? I had and sort of hated the G3 in some ways but love the GH2. My previous m4/3 was a Gh1 so maybe that has something to do with it.

G3 while not really any smaller/lighter in a meaningful way just as that little numb of a grip that just makes my hand cramp up holding it. Maybe its the size of my hands but I feel like I'm holding it with my fingertips rather than being able to wrap my fingers around the grip.

Also the lack of the EVF/LCD switch I find personally annoying as I go back and forth between the two on a shot by shot basis often.

The overall lack of controls as well I find a little annoying on the G3 as well. GH2 is great with a switch/dial for nearly every shooting mode/AF type etc you could want. Its really got probably the most direct control of any camera of any type I've ever owned.

G3 isn't bad by any means, some overly small and hard to press buttons perhaps, and I find the EVF not as good. I don't know if my eye is sensative to refresh rates or what, but the EVF on the GH2 just looks far more comfortable to my eye. G3 sort of made me feel like I'd get a headache. probably just me.

Again, not saying the G3 is a bad camera, but it just seems to have no advantage over the GH2 other than its a bit cheaper (and far easier to find in stock)

Just curious what would make you grab for it when both are sitting side by side ?

G3 has IQ as at least as good as the GH2 without the extensive video control. I have both and for day to day shooting keep picking up the G3 over the GH2.

Terry

What makes you prefer the G3 over the GH2 out of curiosity ? I had and sort of hated the G3 in some ways but love the GH2. My previous m4/3 was a Gh1 so maybe that has something to do with it.

G3 while not really any smaller/lighter in a meaningful way just as that little numb of a grip that just makes my hand cramp up holding it. Maybe its the size of my hands but I feel like I'm holding it with my fingertips rather than being able to wrap my fingers around the grip.

Also the lack of the EVF/LCD switch I find personally annoying as I go back and forth between the two on a shot by shot basis often.

The overall lack of controls as well I find a little annoying on the G3 as well. GH2 is great with a switch/dial for nearly every shooting mode/AF type etc you could want. Its really got probably the most direct control of any camera of any type I've ever owned.

G3 isn't bad by any means, some overly small and hard to press buttons perhaps, and I find the EVF not as good. I don't know if my eye is sensative to refresh rates or what, but the EVF on the GH2 just looks far more comfortable to my eye. G3 sort of made me feel like I'd get a headache. probably just me.

Again, not saying the G3 is a bad camera, but it just seems to have no advantage over the GH2 other than its a bit cheaper (and far easier to find in stock)

Just curious what would make you grab for it when both are sitting side by side ?
Let's start with the notion that I like simpler cameras over complexity. I liked my M8 where there was only center weighted metering and very little to fuss with. i don't change around from AFS/AFC/MF all that often. If I need MF I get MF assist on my M4/3 lenses and I automatically get MF on manual lenses. For me the lever and dial on the GH2 left top panel are never a smooth and easy to adjust movement and I generally ended up taking the camera away from my face. Doesn't happen with the G3.

What I do use more often is all readily available on the G3 with dedicated buttons:
EV
Focus Mode (Single and Face detect)
ISO
WB
Burst/Bracketing

I have a few things on one page of the quick menu (which is much better than the GH2 quick menu)

I have the camera set to play back on LCD so when I hit the play button it auto switches and when I bring it back up to my eye I lightly tap the shutter and it is auto switched to the EVF. Generally I don't switch between EVF and LCD shooting on a shot by shot basis. It is more situational where it will be how I'm shooting for an extended period. So, in that way I don't mind the button to switch. That doesn't mean I don't like the GH2 auto switching but there are times where the auto switching actually can get really annoying.

The size is fine with my hands and they don't feel cramped but that is impossible to predict. Some people complained that the G1 was too small when it first came out.

To me the G3 a form of replacement for the GF1 and give the features most lacking on that camera. If feels better balanced with small prime lenses vs GH2 which is "all camera". For a lens like the 100-300 the GH2 is better.

DHart

Terry... can you envision giving up the GH2 and only having the G3 instead? Could you make do with long/heavy lenses and the G3?

hot

I'm not Terry ... hehe ... but use EVERY lens ... light/short/long/heavy/whatever with G3.

I think YOU only use RollsRoyce for buying rolls next backery ...

Terry

Terry... can you envision giving up the GH2 and only having the G3 instead? Could you make do with long/heavy lenses and the G3?
I will have to let you know in a month when I get back from Kenya. Right now I have a G3 and a GH2 in use and ready to go. I'm sitting here with an extra GH2 body and G3 body and am trying to decide which one to take and which to sell. Leaning towards taking the second G3.

My first G3 was white and my second the unused one is black. I would love a brown one. So, if someone is going to order black and wants to order brown instead I will swap bodies :D but it needs be done in the next two weeks.

I'm sorry for hijacking the E-P3 thread.

DHart

hot.... you are, in part, to blame in pushing me closer toward adding a G3 to my kit... it all started when I found your G3 Brown thread! Great job with that thread, BTW. Does the G3 feel like it can comfortably hang a 14-140 or 100-300 with the body mounted on a tripod?

Terry... what a fun trip for you and a great opportunity to really test out the cameras. So, you're thinking of ultimately having three bodies: either a GH2 & two G3s, or two GH2s & one G3?

Terry

I plan on taking three with me and paring back to two once I'm back. So, the questions are what three do I take 1 GH2 and 2 G3's or 2 GH2's and 1 G3.

I for sure will not keep 2 x GH2. I will either have 1 GH2 and 1 G3 after the trip or 2 x G3.

DHart

I'm looking forward to seeing how your final anaylsis goes on GH2 vs. G3. Over the next period of time I'll be making the same comparison. In my case I'll probably keep GH2 and G3. There are some video opportunities I'd like to be well equipped for and I think the GH2 still rules in that venue.