The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for E-P3?

Paratom

The G3 is much smaller and people don't realize the real size when they call it a mini dslr. It really isn't in person (no matter how much the pictures don't convey what it really is)

The way I've got the G3 set up it is very fast for me to change settings.
I tend to leave the camera on burst and moderate how I push the shutter.
I won't be moving back and forth between AF/MF much, and
Switching between single area and face detection is a direct button.

My 100-300 will be on the GH2 on the G3 I will either have the 14-140 or the Oly 4/3 14-54.
Today I went to a store to look at the EP3, G3 and GH2.
After playing with the cameras for a while I now understand and share your opinion.
While the EP3 feels slightly more solid and metal, I feel that the art.screen, the integrated viewfinder of the Panas are an advantage. Since I shoot a lot my kids the IBIS of the Oly would not be that much of an advantage(een though its nice for sure).
Now between the G3 and GH2 I feel the G3 has enough buttons so I can set it up to access everything I need fast.
So finally I decided the G3 works best for what I want (small camera for casual shooting).

I also had the opportunity to take some lenses and see how I like them and have to say:
The older 14-45 seems indeed sharper than the newer 14-42.
Also I brought the 14 and 45macro primes and besides the faster aparture they seem to deliever an clear additional sharpness advantage over the 14-45.
I think I will keep the G3, sell my EP2 and I also feel like I will (keep) and use primes on the G3 quite often. This 45/2.8 is sharp!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Tom,

the G3 is for sure a good decision!

WRT DR of EP3 and G3 in comparison to APSC sensors (especially the one used in the K5) I am sure that if you measure it then APSC will be better! In practice I am very happy with my EP3 DR (as I was with the DR from the EP2) - it delivers what I need.

WRT Oly M43 lenses - I already wrote that I am a bit disappointed with the kit lens build quality, but if that actually comes down to be bad in daily use I cannot say. And IQ wise both the 14-45 and the 45-150 are excellent performers. So it is maybe something left in my brain that a good lens needs to be built of metal - like Leica - in reality this has disappeared to a large extent today I am sure ....

I will definitely get a 12 and 45 Oly lens as these are real highlights. And the 12 has the ingredients to become my almost always on lens on the EP3.

Interesting to see that you finally sold the K5. In terms of size advantage M43 for sure is better! And IQ is not so much less than from the K5 and APSC, so I would say even in daily usage it is irrelevant.

I do hope for a Pro M43 from Oly or Pana though - sigh!

Last edited:

Paratom

Tom,

the G3 is for sure a good decision!

WRT DR of EP3 and G3 in comparison to APSC sensors (especially the one used in the K5) I am sure that if you measure it then APSC will be better! In practice I am very happy with my EP3 DR (as I was with the DR from the EP2) - it delivers what I need.

WRT Oly M43 lenses - I already wrote that I am a bit disappointed with the kit lens build quality, but if that actually comes down to be bad in daily use I cannot say. And IQ wise both the 14-45 and the 45-150 are excellent performers. So it is maybe something left in my brain that a good lens needs to be built of metal - like Leica - in reality this has disappeared to a large extent today I am sure ....

I will definitely get a 12 and 45 Oly lens as these are real highlights. And the 12 has the ingredients to become my almost always on lens on the EP3.

Interesting to see that you finally sold the K5. In terms of size advantage M43 for sure is better! And IQ is not so much less than from the K5 and APSC, so I would say even in daily usage it is irrelevant.

I do hope for a Pro M43 from Oly or Pana though - sigh!
I just couldnt get the K5 focus consistant, as much as I loved other things (the small lenses etc.)

The M43 gets more interesting for me with the growing number of primes and lenses, the bodies also get more interesting with the EP3 having a flash included and the g3 being so nice and small and the EVF getting better (even though I still prefer OVF).

I am really surprized how its possible to build a camera in size of the G3 with viewfinder and flash etc.

Since I still do a lot outdoors and lately also am into longer bike-trips I have occasions where I want a camera with decent IQ which is not too big.

I am somewhat undecided with lenses though.
The 45 Macro seems a keeper (but then the new Oly 45/1.8 will be even a stop faster).
First impression of 14/2.5 seems also not so bad (even though I read that its a compromise and also includes massive distorsion software correction), but maybe the 12/1.8 is even a little better (but also bigger, and also massive distorsion correction + I find it really at the limit price wise).

The 14-42 Pana first impresiion I am a bit disappointed, the older 14-45 Pana I still have seems smaller, zooms smoother, and sharper.

I am pretty sure I would want a 25/1.4 when its available.

What I dont understand yet: will software correction work also when using Oly lenses on Pana and vise versa or only when using pana on pana and oly on oly?

Terry

Oly and Panasonic both correct for distortion on all lenses. So interchange without fear.

Panasonic corrects for CA and Oly does not. So Panasonic lens on Panasonic body - yes. All other combos No.

PeterB666

I had a play with the Olympus E-P3 and E-PL3 last night along with the Olympus 12mm and 45mm lenses. The E-P3 is on sale in Australia now and the E-PL3 about a month off. The 12mm lens will be shipping in late August here with the 45mm a month later.

I had been thinking of the E-PL3 to replace my E-P1 as I liked the idea of the fold out LCD. Very useful for me as I do a lot of tripod work and would come in handy when shooting low.

I really didn't like using the E-PL3 so it became a no brainer and I am now the owner of a black E-P3 with the new kit zoom and have placed the 12mm f/2 on order. That 12mm lens is simply amazing and was even good mounted on my old E-P1.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the 45mm lens. It is fine and good value for money and seems to have good bokeh - but after using the manual focus ring on the 12mm lens, it was really dissapointing.

Paratom

Oly and Panasonic both correct for distortion on all lenses. So interchange without fear.

Panasonic corrects for CA and Oly does not. So Panasonic lens on Panasonic body - yes. All other combos No.
Thats good to know. Thank you!

By the way took some more images at lunch with the 14-45 vs the 14mm and 45mm Macro lens and have to say images today dont show such a clear advantage of the primes over the zoom at f5.6.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just couldnt get the K5 focus consistant, as much as I loved other things (the small lenses etc.)

The 14-42 Pana first impresiion I am a bit disappointed, the older 14-45 Pana I still have seems smaller, zooms smoother, and sharper.
Tom,

I found the same WRT K5 AF already some 8 months ago, so obviously they did not improve with FW significantly, an finally this was the reason I sold it - all other was pretty great with the K5!

It is a shame that meanwhile all vendors build their kit zooms just very badly. I feel the same for the Oly 14-42 II, which is optically pretty good as far as I can tell, but WRT mechanical build it is simply a shame compared to the older version. I understand that vendors try to keep entry prices down, but maybe it would already help to ask some 50-100€ more and we could get a almost decent built kit lens.

Otherwise I am very happy with the EP3 and kit lenses.

One of my fix starters will be the Oly 45 (as portrait lens) and the 12 as almost always on camera lens. And then I will simply take my other kit lens, the 40-150 for the tele end and I found also that on the wider end I usually like zooms more than on the wide end.

Still thinking about adding the Pana 7-14 or the Oly 9-18 but it might rather become the 7-14, as the 9-18 is not so much wider than the 12 Oly.

I am actually thinking of selling my Olympus 43 gear because it is just too much overlap with the M43 and rather get a FF DSLR again - looking to the upcoming Canon 5DMkIII, which should give me high resolution for relatively low cost and paired with some selected EF-L glass a really good performer I assume, especially with the latest generation of primes.

And for MFD, well I would then get out of that, I am almost never using my H3D39 and also would not any other H4Dxyz. Rather a S2 but this system is currently too expensive for me.

Paratom

Tom,

I found the same WRT K5 AF already some 8 months ago, so obviously they did not improve with FW significantly, an finally this was the reason I sold it - all other was pretty great with the K5!

It is a shame that meanwhile all vendors build their kit zooms just very badly. I feel the same for the Oly 14-42 II, which is optically pretty good as far as I can tell, but WRT mechanical build it is simply a shame compared to the older version. I understand that vendors try to keep entry prices down, but maybe it would already help to ask some 50-100€ more and we could get a almost decent built kit lens.

Otherwise I am very happy with the EP3 and kit lenses.

One of my fix starters will be the Oly 45 (as portrait lens) and the 12 as almost always on camera lens. And then I will simply take my other kit lens, the 40-150 for the tele end and I found also that on the wider end I usually like zooms more than on the wide end.

Still thinking about adding the Pana 7-14 or the Oly 9-18 but it might rather become the 7-14, as the 9-18 is not so much wider than the 12 Oly.

I am actually thinking of selling my Olympus 43 gear because it is just too much overlap with the M43 and rather get a FF DSLR again - looking to the upcoming Canon 5DMkIII, which should give me high resolution for relatively low cost and paired with some selected EF-L glass a really good performer I assume, especially with the latest generation of primes.

And for MFD, well I would then get out of that, I am almost never using my H3D39 and also would not any other H4Dxyz. Rather a S2 but this system is currently too expensive for me.
Since my Canon 7D experience (I didnt find it any better regarding consistent AF than the K5) I would be carefull with Canon-even though some of their primes are just great (50/1.2 for example).
Thats why I stay with Nikon right now as DSLR plus the S2 where I am very happy... For the last months I allways used either the S2 or the M9 when I wanted it smaller or a reall small camera. I keep the Nikon for fast action/Tele/flash but frienkly I use it very very seldomly.
Peter-I think you should sell your HD39 and your E5 and by the S2 with 3 lenses. That plus the M4/3 and you will be happy. Other wise you will just go around and around (Nikon->Sony->Oly->Canon->Nikon->Sony)
If I didnt have the S2 the A900 would be my "big camera" of choice.
I also realized that I do not need soo many lenses. I get a long very good with primes lately.

BAck to m4/3:
Of the wideangle zooms I decided for the 9-18 instead of the 7-14 some time ago, because I thought the range of the 9-18 is more usefull for me going up to 35mm FOV and the size fits better the m4/3 cameras. I dont know yet how good it does on the G3 though.
Maybe I will even skip a wide angle prime...dont know yet...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Since my Canon 7D experience (I didnt find it any better regarding consistent AF than the K5) I would be carefull with Canon-even though some of their primes are just great (50/1.2 for example).
Thats why I stay with Nikon right now as DSLR plus the S2 where I am very happy... For the last months I allways used either the S2 or the M9 when I wanted it smaller or a reall small camera. I keep the Nikon for fast action/Tele/flash but frienkly I use it very very seldomly.
Peter-I think you should sell your HD39 and your E5 and by the S2 with 3 lenses. That plus the M4/3 and you will be happy. Other wise you will just go around and around (Nikon->Sony->Oly->Canon->Nikon->Sony)
If I didnt have the S2 the A900 would be my "big camera" of choice.
I also realized that I do not need soo many lenses. I get a long very good with primes lately.

BAck to m4/3:
Of the wideangle zooms I decided for the 9-18 instead of the 7-14 some time ago, because I thought the range of the 9-18 is more usefull for me going up to 35mm FOV and the size fits better the m4/3 cameras. I dont know yet how good it does on the G3 though.
Maybe I will even skip a wide angle prime...dont know yet...
Tom,

WRT FF DSLRs and H3D39 - I think you may be right. I will just give it some time to see what the next incarnations of Nikon, Sony Canon in the high resolution area are ... then I will finally decide.

But I know, the S2 is very tempting ;)

DHart

By the way took some more images at lunch with the 14-45 vs the 14mm and 45mm Macro lens and have to say images today dont show such a clear advantage of the primes over the zoom at f5.6.
The Panny 14-45 is really a very sharp, fine lens indeed. :thumbup: Very impressive.

Still thinking about adding the Pana 7-14…
Awesome lens!

I am actually thinking of selling my Olympus 43 gear because it is just too much overlap with the M43 and rather get a FF DSLR again - looking to the upcoming Canon 5DMkIII
I don't know about the MkIII, but I can say with absolute certainty, the image quality with the 5DMkII with L lenses is stunningly and dramatically above m4/3. This won't be a surprise to most folks, but every time I compare my images between my 5DMkII and my best m4/3 gear, the difference is quite dramatic. I love my m4/3 gear and keep buying more of it, but if you want that really superb IQ and don't mind the size, I would heartily endorse going for the 5DMkII or III in addition to your m4/3 gear.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't know about the MkIII, but I can say with absolute certainty, the image quality with the 5DMkII with L lenses is stunningly and dramatically above m4/3. This won't be a surprise to most folks, but every time I compare my images between my 5DMkII and my best m4/3 gear, the difference is quite dramatic. I love my m4/3 gear and keep buying more of it, but if you want that really superb IQ and don't mind the size, I would heartily endorse going for the 5DMkII or III in addition to your m4/3 gear.
Don,

thanks for feedback. I owned once a 5DMkII and a 16-35 II and the good old 24-70 and the 1,2/85. All were great lenses and I loved them all! Unfortunately sold all for the A900 and Sony/Zeiss zooms - I never was less happy than with that Sony combo. Not sure why, especially because lot of people like it, but I never became friend with the Sony and lenses.

The good thing about 5D2 is that today you can get it pretty cheap already and so this could definitely be a great step back into that system.

The E system (43) is of course better than M43, especially with pro grade lenses (which I own), but I feel it is kind of dying, so I do no longer want to invest.

Sony is not much option as I said above. Nikon disappointed me with their new primes, I like the Canon L series better. So if FF DSLR Canon is my favorite today.

The S2 - well this is a totally different league but I am currently investing in different things in my life, so I do not have the money for a S System with 2 or 3 lenses. But it is on my radar once I am through my current investment phase :cool:

But in order to come back to this thread, I do like my EP3 very much. And meanwhile I even like my 2 plastic kit lenses, as they are exceptionally sharp and well built, at least my feeling after using them now for a week. And the big advantage - reasonably cheap and lightweight to be carried around all the time, even for serious photography.