The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 at B&H this afternoon

C

carlweese

The G3, black with kit zoom, suddenly showed up as in stock at B&H when I checked about an hour ago. I ordered mine, have no idea how many there are or how long they'll remain available. The other colors and body-only are not available.

Since I've got one on the way, I wonder if anyone has an idea of when the G3 RAW files will be supported by ACR (the RAW processor component for both Photoshop and Lightroom)? Just checked and the current version, 6.4.1, does not support the G3. Any indications of when the next release is expected?---Carl

Terry

From everything I've heard, they are in the latest beta version so as soon as we get to the next release. Sorry I don't have a date.

Amin

Remember to click the banner at the top of this page before putting that G3 in your "shopping cart"!

RonSmith

Excellent timing.

My G3 from Panasonic Direct just arrived today, else I'd have been tempted to cancel and order from B&H.

Amin

I've lost track but a little birdies says you are shooting the E-P3 right now???? How goes it?
I love it, Terry. The touch AF/shutter release is a very natural and intuitive way to work, and I just love the look and feel of this camera. Of course it isn't all good news. Sensor image quality is a clear step backwards from the GH2 (although the sensor stabilization partially offsets that), and the AF doesn't seem noticeably better than the GH2; using the Pana 14/2.5, the Oly AF is perhaps a hair snappier in good light and a bit worse at locking in low light. Maybe things are different with the new Oly lenses.

Bottom line is that I am very pleased with the switch from GH2 to E-P3. It's just fun to have a completely different camera (after owning GH1/G1/GH2), and the look and feel of this one really do it for me. Mine is the matte black - looks really nice with my Pana primes (14/20/45) :).

Btw, B&H has the E-P3 too!

Amin

I only started using touch AF/shutter on the GH2 towards the end, because my natural tendency with that camera was to use the EVF. I did enjoy using the touch shutter on the GH2 once I learned about it, and I wouldn't say that there's a huge difference between the GH2 and the E-P3 implementation. I prefer the touch rather than pressure responsive E-P3 screen, but the articulated LCD was handy for touch AF.

DHart

Amin... do you miss the built-in EVF and articulating screen not present on the E-P3? It's certainly a very sexy camera, no doubt about that. I think I'd miss the built-in EVF and the fully articulating screen, however, of the GH2 and now the G3.

I really have the hots for the G3 and it's just a matter of how long I can hold out. ;-)