The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 Auto Bracketing

les

Coming from earlier generations of Panasonics = I'm a bit flumoxed by the implementation of auto bracketing feature on the G3.
Seems you can set AutoB and have it activate as a single shot or by a burst of 3, 5, or 7.
The single shot puzzles me - is it to allow you to take your 3 5 or 7 shots, each by an individual press of the shutter? (Surely it isn't a blend of multiple shots)
In the burst mode I seem to need to keep the shutter depressed until the sequence has completed. (On my pre G series cameras I've been used to one press of the shutter and, Bob's your Uncle, you've created a bracketed set.)
If that's the way it is, fine, I'll get used to it - but comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

M5-Guy

On single shot, you take each image
On multi drive, you keep the shutter pushed down for the full sequence. It will stop at the end.
One thing though, there is no LCD/EVF indication on what image you are on in the sequence, in any mode. You will keep count in your head.

les

Thanks M5-Guy, that solves it - it's a different approach which will help keep the mind active!

M5-Guy

With the G1, there is +/- EV change as you go through the sequence.. Maybe someone will build a hack to get it back... I am almost 100% sure that it is a crippled feature with the G3.

Terry

Coming from earlier generations of Panasonics = I'm a bit flumoxed by the implementation of auto bracketing feature on the G3.
Seems you can set AutoB and have it activate as a single shot or by a burst of 3, 5, or 7.
The single shot puzzles me - is it to allow you to take your 3 5 or 7 shots, each by an individual press of the shutter? (Surely it isn't a blend of multiple shots)
In the burst mode I seem to need to keep the shutter depressed until the sequence has completed. (On my pre G series cameras I've been used to one press of the shutter and, Bob's your Uncle, you've created a bracketed set.)
If that's the way it is, fine, I'll get used to it - but comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
I don't remember it being one short shutter press and it takes all the shots. There are cameras like that but my recollection not Panasonic's.

M5-Guy

I don't remember it being one short shutter press and it takes all the shots. There are cameras like that but my recollection not Panasonic's.
In the Menu, there is a "continuous shooting" Bracket setting, on the G series, when this is set, you can leave your finger pressed down on the shutter, and the camera will take 3/5/7 exposures at the EV spacing you chose earlier.

Terry

In the Menu, there is a "continuous shooting" Bracket setting, on the G series, when this is set, you can leave your finger pressed down on the shutter, and the camera will take 3/5/7 exposures at the EV spacing you chose earlier.
Yes, that is exactly how I do a bracket but you do have to hold down the button. What I was responding to was press shutter once without burst shooting on and the camera would take all of the shots. I didn't think it ever worked that way which was implied in the first post.

les

Not intending to flog a dead horse, and in fact I've now got used to holding down the shutter until the bracketed sequence has completed.
However........in the dim and distant past both the LC1 and the D-Lux 3 only needed one press of the shutter to complete an auto bracketed set. Mind you both cameras in that mode only permitted a bracket of 3 shots with +/- 1 ev. Just tried both again, and yup that's what they do.