Site Sponsors

Thread: will the oly epl2 do the trick

will the oly epl2 do the trick

I have a project to photograph medium size pictures for a text book about sustainable Hospital architecture in Europe. The text will not require high end work but 300 dpi is necessary. Wondering if a 4/3rd camera will do and if so can you suggest some lenses. Interiors and exteriors shots.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: will the oly epl2 do the trick

Any m4/3 camera will do the trick. If it was me, I would choose one with an articulated LCD (like the G3 or GH2), in case you want low, high or other tricky shooting angles.

You will need a wide lens. The Panasonic 7-14mm is ideal, but expensive. For me, the Olympus 12mm would be the alternative, but maybe not wide enough always. The Olympus 9-18mm is good too, and cheaper than the Panasonic.

For normal zoom, my choice would be the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II. It's a 4/3 lens, so you would need an adapter, but it will AF on all m4/3 camera. It doesn't have IS on Panasonic bodies though. The second alternative is the Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6. It's a stop slower than the Olympus, a little bit less sharp and has built in OIS. It's also considerably cheaper, particularly if you consider that you don't need an adapter.

For architecture, a telephoto lens isn't always necessary, but nice to have sometimes. The Panasonic 100-300mm is the king of the m4/3 territory so far, but it's rather long at 200-600mm eqv. The alternatives from Olympus and Panasonic are ok too, and smaller, shorter and cheaper. Maybe that's good enough for the odd telephoto shot. In that case, I would choose a Panasonic lens for Panasonic camera and Olympus for Olympus to get IS, which is more important for the longer lenses.

Just my 2c
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell:

Re: will the oly epl2 do the trick

in the end I got the NEX5 kit with the additional extra wide angle lens.
    I plan to shoot in raw. Any opinions about the image data converter that comes with it on the enclosed CD? Would I be better off using photoshop? I already have the elements program. Sure wish I had the 18-200 but not with my present budget.