The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 came -- Just not sure -- ergonomics

Pelao

Doug,

How much actual shooting have you done with the G3? I ask because it's clear you are more familiar with cameras that have a substantially different feel. Unless you have already done so, consider going on several long shoots, where you photograph in your 'typical' way. Just focus on the photography and see how it goes.

In my brief time with the G3 I was surprised at how effective the ergonomics are un such a small beast. But it is different, and an in-depth session or two, where you forget about any decision you have to make, might answer your questions.

greypilgrim

Doug,

How much actual shooting have you done with the G3? I ask because it's clear you are more familiar with cameras that have a substantially different feel. Unless you have already done so, consider going on several long shoots, where you photograph in your 'typical' way. Just focus on the photography and see how it goes.

In my brief time with the G3 I was surprised at how effective the ergonomics are un such a small beast. But it is different, and an in-depth session or two, where you forget about any decision you have to make, might answer your questions.
Well, as I said in my original message, I have not even charged the battery yet.

Your point is well taken, but I think I have to decide if it even passes the, "Would I take this camera home with me" test before I take it out on a shoot (and I have a shoot planned for this weekend because of the arrival of the G3, so that was the plan).

Once I use it, it is no longer "new"....

Doug

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting discussion, and I had very similar thoughts when I tried the G3 and GH2 in the shop a few days ago. My conclusion was that the GH2 has superior ergonomics both with regards to shape and controls. That doesn't rule out the G3 for me, and a smaller camera would be nice for city use, but that will be after I've bought the GH2 (or GH3?).

djonesii

Workshop Member
just got mine .... coming from a G1, RD-1, D300, AFD-II, the thing is down right micro! With the 20mm on it, it is really a solid feeling camera. I shot a lot of different cameras, and the only one that I can really work by feel is the D300, had it for almost 3 years now, and am selling off a d7000. The RD-1 with a CV40 is close, but I still spin things the wrong way every now and then, but I'm a bit dyslexic anyway!.

Never did get to the point with the G1 where I could use it fully by feel, same with the AFD-II, but it is getting closer .....

Given the that my Micro 4/3 fills my GAS slot, I doubt the subtle ergonomic issues will ever be that important to me.

Dave

greypilgrim

Well, I went to Keeble yesterday and tried out the EP3 with the VF2 (they had the Oly 12mm as well, yum).

I was surprised that the VF-2 actually seemed better than the Panny VF. I was able to try the different cams side by side which was a big help. Bottom line, I think I would miss the swivel screen too much.

So, I guess I am heading towards selling the (unused) G3 and getting a GH2. The ergonomics definitely make a difference for me here.

Doug

C

curious80

Of all these EVFs, I only have real-life experience with G1 and GH1 EVFs. But I have played with VF-2, G3 and A55 EVFs in store. What I didn't like about VF-2 and to some extent G3 EVF was that they seemed "too bright" and "too white" for the conditions, giving them an unnatural feel. This is something which I didn't experience with G1/GH1 EVFs which seem to match the original scene pretty well in most "non-high-contrast" situations to the extent that they felt just like OVF in most cases.

Am I alone in feeling this way? Off course it could just be the particular conditions in which I tried these EVFs and maybe my real-life experience would be different. But would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have used both EVFs, if they felt something like that.

Pelao

Well, I went to Keeble yesterday and tried out the EP3 with the VF2 (they had the Oly 12mm as well, yum).

I was surprised that the VF-2 actually seemed better than the Panny VF. I was able to try the different cams side by side which was a big help. Bottom line, I think I would miss the swivel screen too much.

So, I guess I am heading towards selling the (unused) G3 and getting a GH2. The ergonomics definitely make a difference for me here.

Doug
Well it's good that you were able to compare and decide what works for you.

greypilgrim

Well, I put the G3 in the for sale forum.

I spent the weekend shooting with some of my Nikkor lenses on my GH1, and it became clear that having that little bit of extra size and heft to balance them was a big help.

So, it will be either a GH2 or wait for a while.

It's been an interesting conversation :).

Doug

Godfrey

Of all these EVFs, I only have real-life experience with G1 and GH1 EVFs. But I have played with VF-2, G3 and A55 EVFs in store. What I didn't like about VF-2 and to some extent G3 EVF was that they seemed "too bright" and "too white" for the conditions, giving them an unnatural feel. This is something which I didn't experience with G1/GH1 EVFs which seem to match the original scene pretty well in most "non-high-contrast" situations to the extent that they felt just like OVF in most cases.

Am I alone in feeling this way? Off course it could just be the particular conditions in which I tried these EVFs and maybe my real-life experience would be different. But would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have used both EVFs, if they felt something like that.
You can adjust the EVF and LCD brightness and color balance to your taste.