The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP3 vs G3 high iso ?

jonoslack

HI David

I would have thought that if it was a prime consideration then probably the answer is neither (NEX with new sony sensor would likely be much better).

I've shot a little at 3200 with the E3, and it works okay, but you wouldn't choose to do it.

probably the best you'll get is the dpreview side by side comparison - boring, but they do it quite well.

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am talking 3200 6400 anyone know? thanks David
No comparisons yet, I just can say that the EP3 high ISO at 3200 JPEGs are awesome! Even in almost NO light. And with some light they just rock.

I assume that RAW will be even better (was always the case and is one of the main reasons why I use RAW).

Maybe ask again in some 4 weeks ;) when all the RAW converters are available?

henningw

After looking at the dpreview raw samples for a bit, it looks like the G3 at 3200 is similar to the GF-1 at about 1000 or 1250, the EP3 at about 2000 to 2500 and the NEX5 at 4000 to 5000.

I haven't used the EP3, but from using the G3 that seems about right; the G3 is just a touch worse than the best APS-C cameras up to 3200 or 6400 but a lot better than the GF1 and G1. It makes the G3 (and the GH2, which is similar) a more useable camera.

Technical image quality output is now more determined by lens quality than sensor quality between m43 and APSC, and the only times I pick up my Canon 7D is when I need faster performance or lenses that aren't available for m43. Lens performance is generally in Panasonic's favour and image quality due to sensor performance is quite close.

Henning

jonoslack

After looking at the dpreview raw samples for a bit, it looks like the G3 at 3200 is similar to the GF-1 at about 1000 or 1250, the EP3 at about 2000 to 2500 and the NEX5 at 4000 to 5000.

I haven't used the EP3, but from using the G3 that seems about right; the G3 is just a touch worse than the best APS-C cameras up to 3200 or 6400 but a lot better than the GF1 and G1. It makes the G3 (and the GH2, which is similar) a more useable camera.

Technical image quality output is now more determined by lens quality than sensor quality between m43 and APSC, and the only times I pick up my Canon 7D is when I need faster performance or lenses that aren't available for m43. Lens performance is generally in Panasonic's favour and image quality due to sensor performance is quite close.

Henning
Hi Henning
I'm right with you here - currently the better lenses available for m43 more than make up for the better high ISO from the NEX, of course, that may change in the future . . . . . or it may not! We shall see.
In the meantime I'm sticking with the EP3 because of the in body image stabilisation, the lenses, the VF2, the larger depth of field (sometimes it's useful, and if I want narrow DOF I can plug the nocti on the M9!) and the nice focusing touchscreen, but I'm not going in too deep, and I'll be quite prepared to switch if something else is better