The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix G3 RAW converter

felix5616

Is there a raw plug in for Adobe CS5 for converting G3 raw images? The bundled RAW converter with the G# is very slow.

M5-Guy

Capture One has the update for G3 as of a week ago... V6.2.2
There was a free offer a few weeks ago for C1 Express V6... it is very fast and a desert RAW converter.

It took 1hr 30m to convert 350 full size RAW files to a JPG from my G3 for a proof gallery.

DHart

I tried SilkyPix that came with my G3 to convert a couple of hundred RAWs - and yes... s-l-o-o-o-w... seems to me it took an hour or so to do that!

LR is my gold standard, so SilkyPix felt totally foreign to me. It got the job done. I have no idea how the conversions with SilkyPix would compare to conversions with LR or other software options.

I'm so itching for the update to LR3.

M5-Guy

How long does it take to batch convert 350/16mb files with LR... That's what I did in C1... No Adjustments, just a batch conversion of the shoot.. I run Win 7/64 with 8gb ram
That's about 15s per RAW file conversion. although it is around 5s if I just do one file at a time with adjustments.

Godfrey

This is one of those things that I wish *all* manufacturers would get on the stick about.

Working with the Pentax K10D, the Ricoh GXR and the Leica M8/M9, you get spoiled because all of them produce DNG files right out of the camera ... they're backwards compatible to any version of Lightroom and any version of the Camera Raw plugin post v2.4.

<RANT>

All the manufacturers should include the option, at least, to generate DNG files straight out of the camera, and all the software vendors (C1, Aperture, etc) should support processing DNG to a fully implemented specification as first-class citizens. That would solve the current "I got my great new camera and now I have to wait an unknown amount of time before I can use it in my established workflow, with the tools I prefer..." frustration.

(Those camera vendors who want to promote that their native raw format has information that only they can process ... well, demonstrate that, show it has advantage, and then users can decide whether to use their software and the native raw format. I've never seen one wit of difference in what I can do in processing a native raw file vs a DNG, so whatever secret sauce they might want you to believe seems to be of no significant advantage to me ... !)

</RANT>

Hey, it's Friday afternoon! ;-)

M5-Guy

Yeah... it is Friday evening now....
Still have 100's of RW2 files to go though with C1... But, I am cheating, and working the JPGs I made eariler.. No adj was made... so, I can use a program I already know.. faster for me right know, even though it's a 2nd gen file after a save...

<RANT>

All the manufacturers should include the option, at least, to generate DNG files straight out of the camera, and all the software vendors (C1, Aperture, etc) should support processing DNG to a fully implemented specification as first-class citizens. That would solve the current "I got my great new camera and now I have to wait an unknown amount of time before I can use it in my established workflow, with the tools I prefer..." frustration.

(Those camera vendors who want to promote that their native raw format has information that only they can process ... well, demonstrate that, show it has advantage, and then users can decide whether to use their software and the native raw format. I've never seen one wit of difference in what I can do in processing a native raw file vs a DNG, so whatever secret sauce they might want you to believe seems to be of no significant advantage to me ... !)

</RANT>
scroll back in time to the moment when Panasonic released their first cameras with .RW2 raw files having tags for optics correction... oh... and Adobe DNG standard at the moment did not have anything to support that... so what Panasonic was supposed to do ? delay product release while Adobe was thinking how to add things to the standard ?yeah, dream on... scroll forward in time to the moment when some manufacturer will decide to surprise the market w/ super duper sensor which is multilayered and not like Sigma Foveon, but something more exotic like 4-5 layers or may be not R-G-B-G (or C-Y-G-M) but with 15 different colors in its bayer CFA... does DNG support that ? no... :wtf: ... shall that manufacturer delay the release or disclose what is cooking to a 3rd party ?

DHart

I've been capturing in both RAW and JPG as an interim measure, using just the JPGs. And to at least look at some RAW captures, I started toying with Raw Therapee and SilkyPix Pro download trial version. They work ok, but the environment is totally foreign to and feel cumbersome compared to LR3 - to me; they are almost not worth playing with - for me, given the wait for LR should be very short at this point.

What one can do fairly easily is a basic batch process of the files through SilkyPix, without toying with them in SilkyPix, but simply converting and saving them as .TIF, then just open LR3 and work with the TIFs as though they were RAWs. For me this is a good temporary solution while waiting for Adobe to update.

Last edited:
They work ok, but the environment is totally foreign and cumbersome compared to LR3; they are almost not worth playing with, given the wait for LR should be very short at this point.
why do you try to generalize you inability to grasp another tool ?

DHart

why do you try to generalize you inability to grasp another tool ?
Not a generalization, really, nor an inability, rather... simply an unwillingness on MY part to spend the time and effort - that's all. You must have misunderstood my intent... I'm not generalizing to you nor to anyone else. I added some "for me" statements to the above so as to avoid misunderstanding.

They are no doubt effective RAW editing tools, but once the LR update comes through, I will have no use for them, therefore I'm just not motivated to give much time nor energy to learn. If I wished to use them, I'd learn them. That's all.

Godfrey

scroll back in time to the moment when Panasonic released their first cameras with .RW2 raw files having tags for optics correction... oh... and Adobe DNG standard at the moment did not have anything to support that... so what Panasonic was supposed to do ? delay product release while Adobe was thinking how to add things to the standard ?yeah, dream on... scroll forward in time to the moment when some manufacturer will decide to surprise the market w/ super duper sensor which is multilayered and not like Sigma Foveon, but something more exotic like 4-5 layers or may be not R-G-B-G (or C-Y-G-M) but with 15 different colors in its bayer CFA... does DNG support that ? no... :wtf: ... shall that manufacturer delay the release or disclose what is cooking to a 3rd party ?
That was true then, three and a half years ago. Adobe responded within three months, certainly with Panasonic and Olympus input. It is no longer the case.

And yes, it be better that they work with a standard and get the standard updated before introducing the product. Or add DNG after it accommodates their need.