The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sensor problems G3

DDudenbostel

I was shooting with my new less than a week old G3 this week testing how my M mount Leica and Zeiss lenses worked on it. I did an initial test Saturday and another more thorough test yesterday (8/10). I noticed a lack of sharpness with all my lenses at the edges whether open or stopped down. This is why I made a second test and confirmed this problem. In confirming this issue I also discovered a large number of what I believe is dead pixels. I confirmed the black circular dots are in the same place on every shot during that shoot but discovered they didn't exist in photos I shot the day before. I went back and checked images from the day I received it and can confirm they appeared for the first time yesterday. I haven't counted the pixels but I would estimate 25 or more pixels are dead. Another strange issues is they only appear in images shot in raw uncompressed. I shot JPG + Raw and could find none in the large jpg's but are in every Raw image. I should also say I'm not using the raw converter included but using capture one for conversions.

I'm actually thinking these are clusters of 4 dead pixels. When enlarged 400% it appears to have a distinct + in the center of the cluster and a halo around the cluster. I also believe the softness / smearing / halation at the edges of the frame with both the kit lens and M lenses is also a function of the failing sensor.

I originally ordered the camera from Panasonic but found out they weren't going to have them until later next month so I canceled my order and purchased one from Crutchfields. I am pleased to say Crutchfields is taking it back and refunding my money with no problems. They are even paying return shipping.

I'm now trying to decide whether to get another G3 or an Olympus EP-3. I was a little disappointed in the plastic feel of the G3 and impressed with the metal construction of the EP series. Image quality s most important and I have nothing to compare at the moment. Any comments on the image quality in comparison would be great.

I would like to hear if anyone has any similar experiences with the G3 and also like any comments on EP-3 vs G3 particularly image quality.

Thanks!
Don

Last edited:
A

aperture 44

I think you will find that the G3 has an aluminium (aluminum) body - not a plastic one.

Terry

There is a menu option to do a pixel refresh. Try that and see if they are gone.

What focal lengths were the Leica and Zeiss lenses. Wide angle lenses have been a problem in the corners/edges since the launch of the G1.

DDudenbostel

I sent the camera back this morning so it's too late for the refresh.

I was shooting a 21 Elmarit, 25 Biogon, 35 Biogon, 50 Planar, 75 Summilux and 90mm apo asph summicron. All had a problem to some degree. I also used my 15 Voightlander and 35mm Nokton 1.2 with the same issues.

Terry

15, 21, 25, and possibly 35 I would have expected some problems. Not with the 50,75 and 90.

Jerry_R

As above stated, attaching rangefinder lenses to u43 will only give you high quality with standard and tele lenses.
Wides and standards - smearing edges. The same with NEX3\5.

New NEXs seem to have microlenses shifted, so no problem with wide angle lenses (soft edges and color shift).

DDudenbostel

Thanks for the information. I'm fairly new to the smaller cameras. I'm a commercial photographer and have used DSLR's, scanning backs and MF Hasselbled digital for the past twelve years and really don't know what to expect from this kind of camera. My expectations are something about on the level of a apsc sensor slr or slightly less. I figured my Leica glass would be good on them and didn't expect the smearing issue with a sensor this size. Again part of the problem may be the bad sensor. I originally set out to get an Olympus EP3 but couldn't find one and then found this forum and the rave reviews for the G3. I guess I'll probably order another G3 tomorrow. Overall I was quite pleased with the function and results with the kit lens minus the dead pixels.

Many thanks for the information!

Don

Terry

The E-P3 will have the same issues with your rangefinder primes as the G3. The other two choices to consider are the Ricoh GXR which is coming with an M-mount module in September (APS-c 12mp). It will incorporate micro lenses and should do better with the wides and has no AA filter. No formal tests out yet.

Also, Sony is due to launch a new camera very soon (Aug 24th) that will be 24mp APS-c and supposedly they've worked on micro lenses as well to give wide rangefinder lenses better performance.

In addition to perhaps being more optimized to these lenses the added benefit is the larger sensor gives you back a little bit more of your wide angles.

DDudenbostel

Here's a little update on what's happened with the G3. I returned my first camera and got a second. The second exhibits exactly the same problem but worse. Not only does the camera have dozens of dead pixels they are visible in smaller prints and also there are numerous stuck pixels. The problem only appears in the raw files and when I'm making longer exposures. With short exposures there's no issue but as soon as I get into exposures of roughly a second or longer the sensor starts having issues.

Have any of you seen this with exposures over 1 second and raw files. Again I use C1 to convert them to 16 bit tif.

Although I'm quite disappointed with the G3 I can't say enough for Crutchfiels where I bought it. In both cases there was no question about returning it. Credit was promptly given on the first and in both cases they paid return shipping. Excellent company!

Annna T

I'm a bit late on that, but with these sensors there are two noise reduction option, the usual one affecting the jpegs with a gradation of strength and the long exposure noise reduction which can be set on or off and affects raws too.

It is a known problem that on long exposures the sensor overheats and some pixels are singled out. I think that the software works by frame substraction : a second picture is taken and this allows to sort out the overheated pixels.

The long exposure noise reduction is on by default. It can be noyous, because it takes about the same time to write the picture as it did to take it. You see the waiting sand clock while it does it things.

Did you have it on or off ? when on, it kicks in for exposure longer than one or three seconds I can't remember.

DDudenbostel

I think it was on but can't be for sure.

I was quite displeased with the number of dead and stuck pixels. For the money they should have put a better sensor in it. After using two for a week each I feel these are way over priced for what you get. The kit lens was OK but not what I expected and image quality was way short of what I expected. I wound up sending them back and ordered a Nikon D3100 kit. I bought a referb for $519 with the 18-55mm lens and could not be happier with it. I was looking for a vacation camera with interchangable lenses that was small and light weight. The G3 could have been the answer but it just didn't measure up. The D3100 is larger but not that much. It's very light and I can use my older Nikon lenses on it too. The performance is more in line with what I expected from the G3.