The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Did anyone try GF3 here?

sagar

I am very tempted to get GF3 just for its small size, specially with 14/20 but have not seen much feedback around.

Did anyone here try GF3? Please share your thoughts, experience and some pictures.

Tesselator

I tried one in the store near where I live (in Japan). I was told at the time it was a pre-release and that it was a special gig - having it there - although the model we played with was thee release version. There was a Panasonic rep there for a few days so maybe that was true - <shrug>. Anyway I was standing around with four of my photographer friends - guys all who are pro or really into photography in a big way. Of the five of us all we could come up with was laughter. The consensus was that it was just too small to even think about using seriously. We all thought it was a complete design-failure! I took some images with it - it seemed about like I would expect from the next incrimination of the GF cameras.

Considering size, I suppose if the little bit of IQ improvement over a regular P&S is worth spending 3 to 4 times the money... and/or worth giving up zoom for a wide prime... then such a person will be happy with it. For me, if I want something that small I'll get a regular P&S with 5 to 10 times super-zoom, water, shock, and dust proofing, and something that will actually fit into a pocket without breaking when i sit down or walk fast.

So there's five slightly snobby camera buffs take on it. Although we all know such a market exists none of us participate in that - whatever that is. (?) I know I sure read a lot of people saying they want something like that tho. (weird!)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The best, most clarifying camera review ever, Tesselator :ROTFL:
dpr could save a lot of time and disk space if they hired you :lecture:

pellicle

Hi

Considering size, I suppose if the little bit of IQ improvement over a regular P&S is worth spending 3 to 4 times the money... and/or worth giving up zoom for a wide prime... then such a person will be happy with it. For me, if I want something that small I'll get a regular P&S with 5 to 10 times super-zoom, water, shock, and dust proofing, and something that will actually fit into a pocket without breaking when i sit down or walk fast.
I start to find myself agreeing with this then wonder "hang on I have a GH1" which would of course have similar image characteristics to the GFx

do you have a G or Pen camera?

Pelao

I do not much like the size or ergonomics of the GF3. However, I have been following some discussions on another forum where some have found it, with the 20 or 14, to be a fantastic streetshooter: fast AF, very discreet and the touch-screen focus. It's not a camera I would buy, but some like it.

I would take issue with this:
the little bit of IQ improvement over a regular P&S
I think the facts speak for themselves around the IQ being much better than a regular P&S. My experience certainly does.

DHart

I've got a GF-1 (had it for going on 2 years now), added a GH2 in January or so, added a G3 a few weeks ago, and added a GF3 last week. I have a wide range of native and legacy glass for this system.

I love all of these cameras, including the GF3. Certainly I don't NEED all of these bodies for my "personal photography" needs and if my choice were between the G3 and the GF3, I'd take the G3 for sure.

But I do very much enjoy shooting with the GF3 and the results are great. It isn't the camera for all people, nor would I choose it as my only m4/3 body, but as an adjunct body to other m4/3 bodies, I think it's a wonderful choice. No complaints here... I love them all for their unique attributes and personalities! Keep in mind, my perspective as a professional photographer is that I have larger systems for my pro work and the luxury of acquiring a variety of m4/3 gear for my personal and some limited professional use.

If I were reliant on having a single m4/3 body, the GF3 would not be my choice because it offers limited features/options as compared to the G3 or GH2. But as a compliment to a larger system, I think the GF3 is a great little camera to have and is a lot of fun to shoot with.

Do I still love and use my LX5? You bet!

Last edited:

DHart

Some images with the GF3 and 12mm Zuiko lens.

A small summer BBQ party was an occasion to get out and play with my new GF3 and 12mm lens.

It was especially hot today and I was not very motivated to move around much... so I decided to see what I could capture while seated in one place.

This one is a very heavily cropped image from the wide 12mm FOV.

I'm really excited with the performance of this camera and lens... they are both total keepers! Can't wait to see the results from the RAWS... these were from the JPG files.