The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's NEX-7 specs...wow!

Terry

I think what is now proprietary is the 6 bit coding for Leica lenses. Identification of the lens in use is important in digital because of the corner color shift corrections etc that need to be made. So, someone like Fuji may have to make a menu so you can tell the camera what lens you just mounted.

If you look at Zeiss and Voigtlander M glass, none of those lenses come with factory 6 bit codes. they are all done after the fact with lens mount swaps or through the menus.

raist3d

It looks like Fuji's interchangeable lens camera could be a full frame M-mount rangefinder competitor.

I'm quite happy with the X100 approach, and can see a future version with faster processor improving responsiveness nicely.

Cheers

Brian
I have been asking Fuji for years (on dpreview) if they can come out with a specialty high end SR sensor type camera, with a set of prime lenses - custom mount. It is taking forever but sounds like the interchangeable lens APS-C X100 type camera will finally be it. Count the years- since the F710 came out.

Still crossing my fingers the X10 delivers.

- Raist

Bugleone

I don't think the NEX7 is comparable to either the 'micro four thirds' items or the 'posercam' (x100) as these are quite different animals to the NEX. However, the real competition that Sony must have in it's corporate mind is the other mirrorless compacts that are in the pipeline from some very influential players including Nikon and Leica. Sony will probably have planned in a large price drop on th eNEX models for when the going gets tough and consumers turn away towards new wonders from Samsung, Leica, Nikon, and presumably Canon and Pentax......

Bugleone

No I don't think he is mistaken at all,..and one or two of the thousands sold may well find their way to "serious photographers"..........

I know exactly what you mean - I took this yesterday with the E-PL3 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 from waist level using the tilted screen to nail manual focus. We (the whole Olympus Safari Group) lobbied Olympus over 18 flipping months ago for peaking functionality...

I wonder if I can get a Hexanon AR adapter for the Nex 5?

Cheers

Brian
Yes, Olympus (or Panny) need to get on the Peaking bandwagon! And yes, you can get the Hexanon AR adapter for NEX.

raist3d

As a side note to the Nex-7, the new Nex-7 lenses and shots at dpreview look quite good indeed.

If I was looking for a compact non pocketable camera, I would give it some serious consideration.

- Raist

Uaiomex

I bought a G3 and sold it 2 days later. My reasons had nothing to do with IQ. It was more of a personal hang-out than anything. Even before I bought it, I hated the looks. I can't stand that "mini dslr" look! I thought I would overcome it, but didn't. Also it was too little for my hands. (I have average and rather thin fingered hands)
This camera was meant to be for recreational purposes. My 5D2 is my workhorse and I'd buy it again tomorrow at first hour if it got stolen or broken.
My other attempt for a recreational camera was a G10 3 years ago. It didn't work either. The Sony Nex7 sounds terrific if a little of an overkill for my purposes. I've been dreaming of Panasonic coming with a model just like the size, features and controls of the Nex7 to use with the new retractable 14-42 zoom lens. Now, that sounds more like the camera I've been waiting for!
Eduardo

Last edited: