The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's NEX-7 specs...wow!

andrewteee

Now, if they can make some decent lenses...
Exactly. That to me is the key - good glass. The system is just not there yet. The m43 system and lens selection is far more complete right now.

But I'm not sure that I really need 24 megapixels anyway. My poor hard drive.

biglouis

I've just been looking at the sample gallery for the A77 announced today which also boast a 24mp sensor (the same as the NEX-7?).

The sample picture at iso1250 is nothing short of dreadful. This is not wishful thinking, the GH-2 does a lot, lot better at 1600.

LouisB

Millsart

Looks at the size/cost of the glass though. Zeiss 24 looks great but its $1000 and pretty big.

55-210 is pretty huge, and stuff like the 18-55 and 16mm weren't that good on the 14mm NEX5 I had, so even worse on 24meg I'm sure.

Where m4/3 has its advantage isn't in IQ, because thats the bottom of the pack, but in the selection of glass, that isn't only good quality, but also very compact and also pretty cheap.

20mm f1.7 for sub $400, 45mm 1.8 for $400 etc. These are really good lenese with nice image, bokeh etc, and yet weight mere ounces and are small enough to fit in a pocket and cheap enough to buy a few focal lengths.

Whole reason I went m4/3, NEX etc was I wanted a compact solution for when I ddn't want to take a DSLR and that had better IQ than a compact.

Given its only for those times when I'm on a trip etc where I'd want such as system in the first place, I didnt' really want to spend a ton of money either.

I guess if you wanted to build your main system around a NEX thats one thing, but with and prices its getting a little big/heavy. Might as well go A77 and have way more lenses options etc for that type of money.

NEX really needs some decent quality, pancake primes at sub $500 IMHO

Its a great form factor body and its fun to shoot, but it needs to offer a few lenses you can pickup without breaking the bank, toss into a pocket and just go shoot on a walk etc.

Thats where the camera excels.

$1400 body with a $1000 lens thats as big as any other APS-C lens ? I've already got that covered with my DSLR's

ohnri

http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

Now, if they can make some decent lenses, it will be really good. For now, on paper, this thing looks unbeatable as far as mirrorless cameras go. Putting it up against the GH2 will be interesting.
Respectfully disagree. It looks like an APS system with a too small camera body. I say too small because I don't think Sony has delivered decent ergonomics in the NEX system.

If I want a Sony APS system, the a77 looks like a better bet to me.

For a compact mirrorless I'll go micro 4/3 any day. Small lenses, small cameras with good ergonomics, lots of choices, it's an easy decision for me.

My current favorite is the Olympus E-P3 with the 12mm f/2 lens.

Best,

Bill

kwalsh

The sample picture at iso1250 is nothing short of dreadful. This is not wishful thinking, the GH-2 does a lot, lot better at 1600.
That ISO1250 bar shot on DPR is horrid! Check out the imaging resource samples at ISO100 and ISO1600:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/FULLRES/AA77hSLI00100NR1.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA77/FULLRES/AA77hSLI01600NR1.HTM

Something awful is happening with NR in the JPEG engine by ISO 1600. Sony has a reputation for crappy JPEG and heavy handed NR and this is prototype firmware as well.

We'll see what RAW performance will be on the final camera I guess.

Ken

RichA

Looks at the size/cost of the glass though. Zeiss 24 looks great but its $1000 and pretty big.

$1400 body with a $1000 lens thats as big as any other APS-C lens ? I've already got that covered with my DSLR's
I was thinking the same thing about the upcoming Samyang 24mm f1.4. Way to large for the m4/3rds when you can get a 20mm f1.7 literally 1/4 the size. There is no getting away from big glass for bigger sensors, at least not yet. Pentax has produced a 40mm f2.8 that is very small, but I haven't seen much else that was AF that was small. For smallness, your only real choice would be Leica M or Voigtlander rangefinder lenses. If they work on the NEX.

biglouis

Something awful is happening with NR in the JPEG engine by ISO 1600. Sony has a reputation for crappy JPEG and heavy handed NR and this is prototype firmware as well.

We'll see what RAW performance will be on the final camera I guess.

Ken
Yikes! I thought perhaps the iso1250 shot was just bad photography by the user. That is another dreadful capture. It gives me no pleasure to say this because I really like the look of a A77 and I still believe that in the end Sony will become the dominant camera manufacturer in the world.

LouisB

cjlacz

I'll agree with the last posters. As a gadget lover the NEX-7 looks great. It doesn't have a great lens selection and not one that does justice to the sensor. The lenses are also too big to go with the camera. Seems popular enough here in Japan though, and almost always with a zoom.

jonoslack

One thing I'm sure about is that judging the high ISO on the A77 from the Sony jpg engine is unkind. I think one must wait for the RAW processing and the final firmware.

Added to which, looking at a 24mp sensor at 100% is not the same thing as looking at a 12 or 16mp sensor at 100%.

However, although the NEX7 does look very attractive, I look at my little bag with an EP3, 12 f2, 20 panasonic and 45 PL macro, and there really is nothing in the Sony lineup to compare, and if one wants a zoom like the zuiko 14-150 . . . . I guess if you're wanting to use legacy prime lenses, then the NEX really does come into it's own, but personally I have another camera for using lenses like that.

So, the specs of the NEX7 may be orgasmic (they are) but coming down to earth and comparing lenses and usage, it's hard to convince oneself that it's better than m43 has to offer.

I just wish Olympus could manage a new sensor!

Pelao

55-210 is pretty huge, and stuff like the 18-55 and 16mm weren't that good on the 14mm NEX5 I had, so even worse on 24meg I'm sure.

Where m4/3 has its advantage isn't in IQ, because thats the bottom of the pack, but in the selection of glass, that isn't only good quality, but also very compact and also pretty cheap.

20mm f1.7 for sub $400, 45mm 1.8 for $400 etc. These are really good lenese with nice image, bokeh etc, and yet weight mere ounces and are small enough to fit in a pocket and cheap enough to buy a few focal lengths.

Whole reason I went m4/3, NEX etc was I wanted a compact solution for when I ddn't want to take a DSLR and that had better IQ than a compact.

Given its only for those times when I'm on a trip etc where I'd want such as system in the first place, I didnt' really want to spend a ton of money either.

I guess if you wanted to build your main system around a NEX thats one thing, but with and prices its getting a little big/heavy. Might as well go A77 and have way more lenses options etc for that type of money.

NEX really needs some decent quality, pancake primes at sub $500 IMHO

Its a great form factor body and its fun to shoot, but it needs to offer a few lenses you can pickup without breaking the bank, toss into a pocket and just go shoot on a walk etc.

Thats where the camera excels.

Yep.

Brian Mosley

Looks interesting - in a typical Sony kitchen sink fashion, shame Sony didn't target their efforts on the m4/3rds standard... we could use the Sony tech combined with m4/3rds lenses.

Cheers

Brian

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looks interesting - in a typical Sony kitchen sink fashion, shame Sony didn't target their efforts on the m4/3rds standard... we could use the Sony tech combined with m4/3rds lenses.

Cheers

Brian
+1 on that!

I would love an E7 or EP4 with a Sony sensor.

Tesselator

http://dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

Now, if they can make some decent lenses, it will be really good. For now, on paper, this thing looks unbeatable as far as mirrorless cameras go. Putting it up against the GH2 will be interesting.
Looks good. But I don't care about Sony AF glass. Just give me a set of adapters and I'll be fine! MF classics are the way to go here. ;)

Also I don't think it would be a fair fight to compare an APS-C to a MFT sensor. I mean for IQ my 5-year old (now $100) Pentax APS-C already beats the IQ from a GH2 in every way. It's just inherent to the sensor sizes I guess. So I assume a new APS-C is going to be even better than that and just snuff the GH2. Of course these days "snuffing" is measured through a microscope almost so there will be lots of folks who will be hollering "IT'S GOOD ENOUGH" as is already so common among generalists here and elsewhere.

Pelao

Looks good. But I don't care about Sony AF glass. Just give me a set of adapters and I'll be fine! MF classics are the way to go here. ;)

Also I don't think it would be a fair fight to compare an APS-C to a MFT sensor. I mean for IQ my 5-year old (now $100) Pentax APS-C already beats the IQ from a GH2 in every way. It's just inherent to the sensor sizes I guess. So I assume a new APS-C is going to be even better than that and just snuff the GH2. Of course these days "snuffing" is measured through a microscope almost so there will be lots of folks who will be hollering "IT'S GOOD ENOUGH" as is already so common among generalists here and elsewhere.
An interesting approach to making a case. You make very broad statements about a comparison of IQ between two cameras, and position anyone who is happy with a certain level of IQ as a generalist.

Plenty of people, who may or may not be generalist, but many of whom make money from MFT camera output, are clearly happy to work with cameras that are snuffed.

Perhaps it's better to be a snuffed generalist than an argumentative elitist.

Perhaps also, we could celebrate if someone is happy with the camera they are using, and the quality it offers them.

Back to the original discussion, I think I share some of brian's fantasy: Sony's implementation in the MFT format would have been nice. Oh well.

Photomorgana

I agree, NEX-7 will be a super camera for Manual Focus legacy glass. EVF should be much better than already great VF2, at least that's what I think. (plus focus assist should be nice, controls and looks of the camera are much improved) Put some Leica-M or Cine-glass and you good to go, I dont care about AF sony lenses at all.

On a different note, I'm not though completely understand why so many people think that APS-C sensor will always be superior to m4/3 sensor? Size is not the factor here, its the raw materials and jpeg processing, etc. Sensor are cut from one large disc, Panasonic just need to buy their discs from Sony or Canon. :) (but I'm not complaining, I'm not really have problems with m4/3 performance)

kwalsh

Sensor are cut from one large disc, Panasonic just need to buy their discs from Sony or Canon. :)
Not Canon! The GH2 and G3 sensors are already matching Canon's most recent sensors in almost all IQ specs (accounting for the sensor size difference). Canon and Panasonic pixel technology is just about the same performance level right now.

(but I'm not complaining, I'm not really have problems with m4/3 performance)
Me neither. Of course if a Sony sensor or similar sensor technology made it into an m43 camera I'd still be happy!

Ken