The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 'X' Panasonic lenses

henningw

The new lenses, particularly the short 14-42mm zoom look very interesting and just the thing for G series bodies as well as the Pen bodies. Finally, a truly compact zoom. And, Panasonic states that the optical performance will be better than either of its previous kit zooms of similar range. Since the performance of the 14-45 was already excellent, that bodes well.

Next, a couple of faster zooms and primes are needed. I want more, more, more! :)

Henning

ggibson

I agree--the 14-42mm looks awesome! Too bad it's not f2.8, but I guess you can't ask for everything.

I'm sad they don't intend to support the GF1 though. Maybe it's time to consider the G3 in my kit again? :D

cjlacz

Their other news impresses even more. They have announced they are making a 12-35 and 35-100 fast X zooms. (Looks like they have a normal focus and zoom ring, the X just refers to their high quality line of lenses). If anything was tempting me away from m4/3s I think these just stopped it. There are a couple things I'd be curious to know though. First, if you used digital correction how much smaller could you make Oly's f2 lenses. I don't expect these to be that fast, not sure I'd want them that big, but 2.8 would be perfect.

EDIT: Forgot the link: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-panasonic-x-12-35-and-35-100mm-fast-zooms/

That new 14-42 X looks really nice though. Such a small package and it's even better then their other lens that's just a bonus. I can settle for the levers for zoom.

Terry

I agree--the 14-42mm looks awesome! Too bad it's not f2.8, but I guess you can't ask for everything.

I'm sad they don't intend to support the GF1 though. Maybe it's time to consider the G3 in my kit again? :D
There is a clarification over at DPReview stating the lens will work on all m4/3 cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Their other news impresses even more. They have announced they are making a 12-35 and 35-100 fast X zooms. (Looks like they have a normal focus and zoom ring, the X just refers to their high quality line of lenses). If anything was tempting me away from m4/3s I think these just stopped it. There are a couple things I'd be curious to know though. First, if you used digital correction how much smaller could you make Oly's f2 lenses. I don't expect these to be that fast, not sure I'd want them that big, but 2.8 would be perfect.

EDIT: Forgot the link: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-panasonic-x-12-35-and-35-100mm-fast-zooms/

That new 14-42 X looks really nice though. Such a small package and it's even better then their other lens that's just a bonus. I can settle for the levers for zoom.
I am shooting both of these lenses from Olympus on the E5 and they are great.

I have no doubt the Pana X versions will be at least as good, if not better.

It is crystal clear now for me to step out of the E System as this will not have ANY future (at least not for me)

Even if EVF is still not comparable with the OVF of the E5, any Oly EP3 or Pana GF3 combo with those lenses is so much smaller that I still will mentally argue about not having OVF, but when it comes to carrying around and have always with me it will outweigh any OVF advantages.

Paired with an M9P and my fast M primes this will all fit in a pretty small bag and give me maximum freedom while highest quality and lowest weight!

Great news indeed!

jonoslack

There is a clarification over at DPReview stating the lens will work on all m4/3 cameras.
Concentrate Terry - you're supposed to be on holiday - there might be a lion behind you!

I hope you're having a fantastic time

all the very best

Terry

Concentrate Terry - you're supposed to be on holiday - there might be a lion behind you!

I hope you're having a fantastic time

all the very best
That was my first post! Also, I have better cheaper iPad coverage in Kenya than in San Francisco. SIM card plus 3gb data was $25.

Oh and there were three lions with us a bit ago. The two females were stalking and going for a wildebeest for dinner when the male lion gave away their cover. Draw your own conclusion on my next sentence. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Godfrey

Hmm.

I just looked at these lens announcements on DPR and find this first one is exactly why I decided to move away from Panasonic's Micro-FourThirds range. I could see the direction they were moving and it wasn't where I want to be. Power zoom and button activated servo manual focus? Another 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens? Ugh. Not my cup of tea at all.

I'm sure for some it will be a delight. Hopefully, the lens will perform to their expectations and it is small and lightweight.

Enjoy it, those who purchase. :)

Diane B

Its aimed somewhat at videographers--or for those that want "small". The one that interests me is the 12-35 for 2012. No word on whether it is f/2.8 or assuming more likely 2.8-3.5.

Diane

That was my first post! Also, I have better cheaper iPad coverage in Kenya than in San Francisco. SIM card plus 3gb data was $25.

Oh and there were three lions with us a bit ago. The two females were stalking and going for a wilbeest for dinner when the male lion gave away their cover. Draw your own conclusion on my next sentence. :ROTFL:
Lol - just be careful Terry :)

Audii-Dudii

I just looked at these lens announcements on DPR and find this first one is exactly why I decided to move away from Panasonic's Micro-FourThirds range. I could see the direction they were moving and it wasn't where I want to be. Power zoom and button activated servo manual focus? Another 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens? Ugh. Not my cup of tea at all.
I agree completely, as this lens, clever as it is, isn't my cup of tea, either. I'd likewise started to rethink my commitment to the m4/3 format, but Olympus' announcement of the 12mm/f2 and 45mm/f1.8 lenses earlier this summer was compelling enough to convince me to wait a bit longer and see if either they or Panasonic announce (or better still, release) a "pro level" m4/3 body before the end of the year.

As much as I found Olympus' lens announcement encouraging, though, I find Panasonic's lens announcement discouraging, as it suggests they're focusing on a video-based future, which holds no interest for me personally.

Terry

Well then you missed reading the important parts of the announcement x doesn't mean just motorized lenses. Also, I read elsewhere that there are two other fast zooms coming in the x line.

Hmm.

I'm sure for some it will be a delight. Hopefully, the lens will perform to their expectations and it is small and lightweight.

Enjoy it, those who purchase. :)

Godfrey

... it suggests they're focusing on a video-based future, which holds no interest for me personally.
I agree that the Olympus lens announcements, and the new Leica Summilux 25 for Micro-FourThirds, are pretty good.

What I don't understand regards even a video-based system direction is that all the video work that I might like to do is MUCH easier to do with manual focus, manual iris lenses. I've never seen the point to autofocus in particular with video work ... Where the focus is placed and how it moves is part of the motion that you're capturing in the visual language of video: I have no desire for a camera to do it for me.

From that perspective, the Ricoh GXR I went with after Micro-FourThirds, outfitted with the A12 Camera Mount and a couple of manual M-bayonet lenses, may well be a better video camera for my notions of video production. Not as feature rich, perhaps, but functionally superior in use.

kwalsh

As much as I found Olympus' lens announcement encouraging, though, I find Panasonic's lens announcement discouraging, as it suggests they're focusing on a video-based future, which holds no interest for me personally.
Godfrey said:
I just looked at these lens announcements on DPR and find this first one is exactly why I decided to move away from Panasonic's Micro-FourThirds range. I could see the direction they were moving and it wasn't where I want to be.
I'm not sure I'd read that into their release. From DPR:

Equally notable about the PZ 14-42mm (and the PZ 45-175mm too) is the new 'X' branding. Panasonic is keen to point out that while the first lenses with this designation are 'HD' powerzooms, that's not what the 'X' means. Instead it simply designates a premium line of high-performance products; indeed the company is promising that the X 14-42mm will offer better image quality than both the existing 14-42mm kit lens and its highly-regarded predecessor, the Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS. However upcoming 'X' lenses could be of any type: prime, power zoom, or conventional mechanical zoom.
Let us see. They've also given us the 20/1.7, the 14/2.5, the 45/2.8, the 25/1.4 and the 8/3.5 primes. They also just announced a 12-35 and 35-100 wide aperture zooms for next year in the X line without power-zoom. They also make their own Panasonic branded Leica M and Leica R adapters for the system.

Yeah, clearly these guys are all just about video and soccer moms. You guys should flee now :rolleyes:

Forums are amazing. A company releases a new product, and it happens not to match exactly what someone was wanting and the response is ridiculous statements that don't bear even the most trivial inspection.

I suppose if you want a camera that restricts its entire feature set to the market defined by you and the 100 other folks that share your particular eccentricities you are welcome to commission the millions of dollars to develop it.

The rest of us here in the sane world will be happy to see Panasonic making a smart move in the market to increase market share. I doubt I'll buy this lens, but if it means they'll sell more cameras and sensors then I'm all for it - because you know what, the evidence shows Panasonic has been making high end bodies and lenses more frequently and earlier than Olympus and Sony. More power to them if they extend their market share into the P&S upgrade crowd. Bring on the users and the sales.

Ken

EDIT: PS I realize some folks could object to m43 in general not meeting their needs, I just don't see how it is sensible to read so much into a single product announcement when the rest of the evidence is counter to the conclusions people are drawing from said announcement.

pellicle

well personally I'm stoked.

I know that my 14-45 Kit was (is) a good lens, but its bulky and zoom during video is really difficult. To have an ultra compact lens (which is nearly the size of the 20mm) on a compact camera like a GFx will mean that it stays compact, doesn't loose zoom AND has OIS

If its even close to the 14-45 in quality I'm totally impressed

Audii-Dudii

PS I realize some folks could object to m43 in general not meeting their needs, I just don't see how it is sensible to read so much into a single product announcement when the rest of the evidence is counter to the conclusions people are drawing from said announcement.
My pessimism about the future no doubt stems from my having been an early owner of Panasonic's DMC-L1, its initial foray into DSLRs and the 4/3 format. They talked a good story about what the future would bring, but quickly changed direction and headed downmarket with their subsequent 4/3 releases, leaving the L1 as the high-water mark of their 4/3 product line. (Although I can't speak for him, I will point out that Godfrey owns/ed one of these cameras, too.)

Then along comes the m4/3 format, whereupon Panasonic abandons the 4/3 format entirely, releases the G1, followed by the GF1, and again starts to hint at all of the great things the future will bring. And then it delivers the G2, the GF2, and G3, which while they may be fine products for what they are, are not the evolutionary products that us early adopters were lead to believe would be coming...

While I don't deny that some of the products they've released since the G1 merit praise, if one plots a trendline for the direction they appear to be headed based upon the products they've released recently -- including this new series of lenses -- I believe it's fair to conclude that, just as they have in the past, they've changed direction and are chasing after volume, first and foremost. Rather than establishing their line of high-intent (if not quite high-end) products as the starting point for a product line that will ultimately deliver better products still, they're in effect using them as part of their marketing and promotional efforts to establish the bonafides for their more consumer-oriented products. If their recent history is considered, then it's entirely possible the GF1 will prove to be the high-water mark of their m4/3 product line just as the L1 was for their 4/3 product line.

I certainly don't begrudge Panasonic making a profit and if this means they have to aim their products at a larger market, then I certainly understand. What bugs me, though, is when they (or their supporters) hint that the profits from their volume-oriented, mass-market products will eventually be used tofund a more upmarket product line, because at least with their line of photographic products, this has never happened.

(BTW, I'm not necessarily complaining about their products' IQ -- I'm still as pleased with that as I ever was, although my standards have increased somewhat since I acquired a medium-format digital outfit for my "serious" photography -- but with their products' ergonomics. I specifically bought the L1 because of its traditional, old-school controls, and ditto for the GF1. So perhaps you will understand why a lens that focuses manually using a switch instead of a focus ring so as to better meet the needs of videographers is of no interest to me whatsoever and, IMO, augurs poorly for the future insofar as the needs/wishes of still-photo photographers such as myself are concerned.)

Last edited:

kwalsh

My pessimism about the future no doubt stems from my having been an early owner of Panasonic's DMC-L1, its initial foray into DSLRs and the 4/3 format. They talked a good story about what the future would bring, but quickly changed direction and headed downmarket with their subsequent 4/3 releases, leaving the L1 as the high-water mark of their 4/3 product line. (Although I can't speak for him, I will point out that Godfrey owns/ed one of these cameras, too.)
Ah, OK. I get where you guys are coming from now. Once bitten, twice shy. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Panasonic has been talking of a pro RF body along the lines of the recently released NEX-7 for awhile now. I guess their motivations will be more clear if and when that is actually announced and released to market.

Ken

Godfrey

I'm not sure I'd read that into their release.
Let us see. They've also given us the 20/1.7, the 14/2.5, the 45/2.8, the 25/1.4 and the 8/3.5 primes. They also just announced a 12-35 and 35-100 wide aperture zooms for next year in the X line without power-zoom. They also make their own Panasonic branded Leica M and Leica R adapters for the system.
Forums are amazing. A company releases a new product, and it happens not to match exactly what someone was wanting and the response is ridiculous statements that don't bear even the most trivial inspection. ...
Let's not get our knickers into a twist.

I decided almost a year ago that Panasonic was not moving in the direction I wanted and sold my Panasonic gear last November. This current press release and this lens had nothing to do with it.

This particular slow normal zoom lens is totally uninteresting to me. Their evolution of the GFx body line is in a direction I have no interest in. Of the G/GH series, the touch screen does nothing for me and I think the G1 was the best of the lot ... the follow-on models didn't handle as well to my fingers and didn't really improve enough for my wallet to bear.

The 20mm was nice, although it was too small for my fingers to manual focus comfortably. The 14mm is the same. The Macro-Elmarit 45mm is a superb lens ... I had one to use for quite a bit of time and enjoyed it immensely. The new 25/1.4 looks great. The 7-14 looks good too. I wanted a fast 50 and 70 mm prime set ... I am not a zoom user and had no interest in the 100-300 or other long, slow lenses.

Whether they have other lenses coming that are more interesting remains to be seen, but I've already moved on; my work and my equipment interests are moving in a direction that Panasonic isn't going.

I'm sure many people will love the X line lenses, and thls tiny little slow power zoom. And I'm sure they will perform well, for what they are and what they're intended to be.

That's all I said. If they're The Ultimate Object to you, buy and enjoy! ;-)