The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experience with G3 and M-Mount lenses?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Please share your Experience with G3 and M-Mount lenses?

I like the GXR M-Mount module but maybe the G3 works as well. Any experiences with lenses that did not work properly on the G3?

DDudenbostel

I generally haven't had a good experience with the G3 in general. I had two and returned two due to problems with the sensor. Dozens of dead pixels and stuck pixels in exposures over 1 second. I purchased an M to 4/3 adapter that I would like to sell but tried lenses from 15 to 90mm on it. These issues could be related to sensor issues so I can't say for sure that it was an issue with the lens working on the camera. My 15 Voightlander was sharp in the center but terrible at the edges. I found this to be true with my 21 Elmarit (non asph) and 25 Biogon. Centers were good but edges smeared. The 35 Biogon was Ok but not what I expected as was the 50 Planar. OK but not great. The 75 Summilux and 90 Apo Asph Summicron were some better and improved stopped down.

Overall I was quite disappointed with the performance which I feel might be problematic sensors vs the camera in general. I also had experienced smearing issues at the edges of the frame with the kit lenses but not to the degree that I ad with the M lenses.

I would like to think the problem was isolated to the two cameras but two in a row from two batches of cameras ????. I was looking for a small carry camera for vacation to replace my G10 Canon. Unfortunately the Canon zoom outperformed both the kit lens and my Zeiss and Leica glass.

I use Canon 1DsII and Hasselblad digital equipment in my work so I may be too critical but I did expect a little better performance particularly for the price. I finally purchased a Nikon D3100 with the kit lens for vacations. Even though it's slightly bigger it well outperforms the G3 even with the M glass and for $200 less.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I would like to think the problem was isolated to the two cameras but two in a row from two batches of cameras

Don't think so. The widest I used was so far 28mm. Will get some wider Zeiss lenses for testing soon. Seems these sensors want the light coming at 90 degrees as m43 is designed to be (as I understand).

Thanks