The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using m4/3 on safari

Terry

I'm in the process of making the long trek from Kenya back to San Francisco. With a 5 hour layover in Zurich it seemed like a good time to give my thoughts on using m4/3 gear on safari (where photography was the primary purpose of the trip).

I took about 10,000 exposures. Before you gasp, there are reasons....first it was a 15 day trip and we did game drives every day morning and afternoon. Second as I will go into more detail shooting with very long focal lengths and slowish lenses I took multiple shots for everything to make sure I had choices and to increase the probability of really sharp images.

What I took with me:
GH2
G3 x 2
14, 20, 9-18, 14-140, 100-300, Oly 4/3 14-54 f28-3.5
Oly XZ1

What I used:
I NEVER changed lenses the entire trip!
The GH2 had the 100-300 and the G3 had the 14-54
That was it, two bodies, two lenses and the XZ1 for some random snaps.

Of the 10,000 exposures over 9,000 were made with the GH2 and the 100-300
99% of the shots were handheld. With the extending zoom of the 100-300 using it on a beanbag was problematic. I had an Apex beanbag with the ability to put on a ball head but again there was no comfortable shooting position. I thought I would use touch focus and touch shoot a lot. I didn't use it at all. MUCH better stability bracing my elbows on the roof hatch and using the viewfinder.

I shot a decent number of shots using ETC and getting a small jpeg. This worked out better for distant subjects as I found that I could get good crisp well exposed jpegs that were better than severely cropped raw files.

What I really could have used is about 2 more stops either ISO or lens speed and I could have cut down my shot count and it would have made shooting much easier. As m4/3 develops I would like to see them make a faster 200mm or 300mm prime and a teleconverter. The long lens should have a tripod foot for use on a Wimberly. While this might not strike people as part of a compact system, I do think for wildlife shooters it would be a great setup and isn't a setup made for everyone.

I have a ton more to process and will be making many more blog entries on my site over the coming days and weeks here are a few shots quickly edited on my laptop. More are posted here:
http://www.terrybanet.com/?page_id=12

For the birders - we had an amazing guide who is phenomenal with birds. We spotted and shot over 100 varieties, so look for a special bird gallery (from a complete non birder!)

biglouis

Thanks for a really interesting post and evaluation of the GH-2/G3 in the field.

The results posted above are very impressive. I am a great supporter of the 100-300 but I've never owned such a focal length zoom before so I have no way of evaluation its performance against other brands such as Nikon, Canon and Sigma.

I guess the big question is whether you would recommend this combination and use it again?

LouisB

Terry

I would use this combo again because it was easy to travel with and for my shooting I'm not going to invest in a Canon or Nikon 600mm lens. But, at the same time it isn't an ideal setup. The member of the group using a Nikon D3s and 600mm had a stop more lens speed and a lot more ISO range to work with. Trust me. We needed it. I will post a metadata compilation when I get home late tonight....well tomorrow morning for the Europeans up and reading this.

OTHER THOUGHTS

Also,
Things I didn't like about the GH2...
Everyone always say "OH the GH2 has all of the external controls. I've said for a while I am not the biggest fan of the lever control or the top left dial. I would say at least once a day inadvertently the lever got nudged from burst to bracket or self timer. You can't imagine how freaking annoying this is when you have very little time to get the shot.

I find changing focus method (tracking etc) faster on the G3 than turning the dial on the GH2 where I really need to look at the dial to see what I'm doing.

I hit the WB button by accident a lot.

I wish the buffer would clear faster.

I need to find a faster way of using ETC. I had it as C1 but switching to ETC should be faster. I will have a look at the function buttons. I didn't want to muck around with too much midstream.

What I liked about the GH2....
EVF is superb.
Switching between shots when zoomed in is a breeze.

Other problems:
I did have some times where it seemed like the contact between camera and lens with the Oly 14-54 got lost and the camera wouldn't AF aperture was showing 0.0. I turned on and off camera and it was solved.

I used the GH2 100-300 and not the G3 because for the long focal length if that is a primary lens the GH2 is more stable. For day to day shooting with smaller lenses, I prefer the G3.

pellicle

Terry

some very nice images there ... I'm sure you're pleased with them too

With the extending zoom of the 100-300 using it on a beanbag was problematic. I had an Apex beanbag with the ability to put on a ball head but again there was no comfortable shooting position. I thought I would use touch focus and touch shoot a lot. I didn't use it at all. MUCH better stability bracing my elbows on the roof hatch and using the viewfinder.
What I really could have used is about 2 more stops either ISO or lens speed and I could have cut down my shot count and it would have made shooting much easier.
which is an interesting point and something I've found too. For instance I've been very pleased with my FD 300 f4 and found that f4 on that is actually at least 2 stops faster than any of the zooms. I put this down to transmission.

I found when testing my 45-200 zoom that f5.6 was that it was about 2 stops darker on the image than my FD200 was at f5.6. I put this down to the differences in transmission of light through the lens elements (which is what T-Stops which are all about)

Sure the FD300f4 is a bit of a brick, but I reckon if you're going to do that sort of thing again that it would give you excellent results (as long as you can cope with MF).

thanks for your interesting post

iiiNelson

Sounds like a "trip of a lifetime." Nice shots and I would probably be slightly freaked out by being that close to a lion that's not in a zoo...

Paratom

Hi Terry,
great images!!!

However to be honest I personally thought I would probably bring at least a dx-sized camera and some faster lenses if I was going on such a trip.
Personally I like shooting with shallow DOF and even on the S2 I shoot often at f2.5-f4.0, so I feel limited in this regard with m4/3.
In my case I like a smaller camera if I ride the bycicle or if had to walk up a high mountain or if I was walking through town at night, but in most other situations I dont mind to carry some bulk and if the bag is a little bigger or smaller.

My opinion regarding GH2 vs G3 user interface are going in the same direction as your experience. The only thing I kind of miss with the G3 is the eye sensor.

I am looking forward to more images from your trip,
Tom

Brian Mosley

Welcome back Terry, lots of great experience there... I'll look forward to seeing more as you get processing, Did you take anything to review your shots while away?

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Mahvelous photos, Terry! Can't wait to see more.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Get home, get rested, let's get together once you have some stuff together. :)

Terry

Well I considered my kit choices extensively before chosing it. For larger prints, I wanted a lot of landscape type shots. Animal portraits will probably only end up in a slideshow or book so large files was not my primary consideration and therefore for me DOF was not that critical for my "most important" shots and for wider shots ormportraits I was using an f.2.8-3.5 lens.

I did not own a big glass kit and nor did I want to rent/buy and went for experience. If I were to go back again, I would not switch the gear. 90% of my shots were with 100-300 and many of those at 600mm or with ETc considerably longer.

But everyone wants something different and we had a lot of big glass on the trip (canon 800 with 1.4x tele) Nikon 600mm with 1.4 and 2x tele., etc.

Hi Terry,
great images!!!

However to be honest I personally thought I would probably bring at least a dx-sized camera and some faster lenses if I was going on such a trip.
Personally I like shooting with shallow DOF and even on the S2 I shoot often at f2.5-f4.0, so I feel limited in this regard with m4/3.
In my case I like a smaller camera if I ride the bycicle or if had to walk up a high mountain or if I was walking through town at night, but in most other situations I dont mind to carry some bulk and if the bag is a little bigger or smaller.

My opinion regarding GH2 vs G3 user interface are going in the same direction as your experience. The only thing I kind of miss with the G3 is the eye sensor.

I am looking forward to more images from your trip,
Tom

pellicle

I did not own a big glass kit and nor did I want to rent/buy and went for experience. If I were to go back again, I would not switch the gear. 90% of my shots were with 100-300 and many of those at 600mm or with ETc considerably longer.
US$200 buys you a good condition FD300f4 and a FD to m4/3 adaptor. Not a big investment and has a great tripod adaptor too

PS its not about any different DoF its about getting you 2 or 3 stops faster shutter on the same ISO setting as the 100-300 does (cos it'll be f5.6 and pass through less light)
FD300 = 6 elements in 6 groups; excellent tripod collar; smooth manual focus; built in extendable lens hood
Lumix G Vario 100-300mm = 17 elementsin 12 groups, no collar but AF and OIS

PPS: btw any thoughts feelings or otherwise comments about how well the 100-300 focuses? The OIS would be nifty for video thats for sure

Last edited:

Terry

On DOF I was only talking about the one comment. The T-value comment is very interesting. The 100-300 focuses very fast. On some complicated tree branches with small birds you may have to try a couple of times to get the bird. Hen it struggled, I generally would focus a little future down the branch to get the camera to focus in the general vicinity and then once more to get very precise. Manual focus would not have worked for me especially with birds but a lot of things were moving around pretty quickly.

Terry

Welcome back Terry, lots of great experience there... I'll look forward to seeing more as you get processing, Did you take anything to review your shots while away?

Cheers

Brian
I had the latest version MacBook Air with me. So I had full processing power but not a lot of time. I also have a NEXTO - it has SD/CF card slots and is a portable hard drive with a good interface that you can back up to independently from any computer.

This was our schedule.
6AM we were at the vehicles.
Arrived back at the camp around 1PM
Lunch/download backup cards/clean gear until 3:30PM when we were back on trucks.
6:30- 7PM arrival back at camp and 7:30 dinner.

For me looking at my work each day was critical to understand and learn from. My work got much better as the time progressed as you really get away from getting the "shot" to making the whole frame with background etc. work for the picture.

Terry

Mahvelous photos, Terry! Can't wait to see more.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Get home, get rested, let's get together once you have some stuff together. :)
Thanks Godfrey. I have a very cool installation going up in my apartment soon. It is going to be like a gigantic (about 140" x 60") of steel that will allow me to put my prints up with magnets and change around the displays without having to get everything framed. With the long weekend, I'm going to try and get some stuff printed up. So more to come.

Terry

Sounds like a "trip of a lifetime." Nice shots and I would probably be slightly freaked out by being that close to a lion that's not in a zoo...
The lions have come to realize that the vehicles are not a threat to them so they don't get skittish around the cars. Now what is a no no would be standing on the vehicle (thereby changing it shape) or getting out of the vehicle.

Actually, I would be more inclined to be scared of an elephant doing something unpredictable.

Thanks Godfrey. I have a very cool installation going up in my apartment soon. It is going to be like a gigantic (about 140" x 60") of steel that will allow me to put my prints up with magnets and change around the displays without having to get everything framed. With the long weekend, I'm going to try and get some stuff printed up. So more to come.
Cool - when's the photo gallery party? ;-)

Welcome back Terry - some great shots you posted - looking forward to seeing the rest!

Cheers,

Paratom

Well I considered my kit choices extensively before chosing it. For larger prints, I wanted a lot of landscape type shots. Animal portraits will probably only end up in a slideshow or book so large files was not my primary consideration and therefore for me DOF was not that critical for my "most important" shots and for wider shots ormportraits I was using an f.2.8-3.5 lens.

But everyone wants something different and we had a lot of big glass on the trip (canon 800 with 1.4x tele) Nikon 600mm with 1.4 and 2x tele., etc.
Hi Terry,
I didnt want to suggest that I found it a bad decision and your impressive images speak for themselves.

Terry

Hi Terry,
I didnt want to suggest that I found it a bad decision and your impressive images speak for themselves.
Didn't mean it to sound that way, Just more info to give more detail on how
i made the m4/3 choice.