The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No Dynamic B&W film mode on G3?

carlosecpf

Hi Guys,

My G3 arrived yesterday and it seems to be a great little camera. My idea was getting the G3 and selling my beloved GF-1.
However, to my surprise, the G3 does not include my favorite film preset of all time: Dynamic B&W. I've been using this preset since the days of my Digilux 3 and it has become my default jpeg mode for the past 4 years. What a great omission...
I am abroad now and don't have my GF1 with me to compare its Dynamic B&W results against G3's monochrome mode.

Has anyone tried a side-by-side comparison? Is it similar o very different? To my eyes, it seems VERY different, from what I can recall.

thanks,
Carlos

carlosecpf

hi!

has anyone tweaked the jpeg configurations on G3 so it can mimic the Dynamic B&W film mode present in the GF-1?

thanks in advance!

carlosecpf

Am I the only Dynamic B&W orphan in this forum?:confused:
Perhaps I should just get over it and enjoy the G3 for what it is... :)

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Gonna have to process in Silver Efex Pro. At least you'll have one benefit - 20 variations of Dynamic Black and White

Keith

carlosecpf

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your reply.
I've been using Silver Efex 1 for over 2 years and it is a very nice software indeed. However, I was wasn't able to mimic Panasonic's Dynamic B&W mode even fiddling with SEP. I guess I will spend some hours in front the computer as soon as I get back from my business trip so I can create a preset for Aperture and/or SEP.
I found some good advice on the web on how to do it and I am hopeful.