The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any former Pentax user?

mediumcool

There's new announcements mid October by Pentax for new cameras so we'll see. My bet is yes, but honestly, I don't want 24 MP (not that I am buying a new camera, I am sticking to the K-5). While I can understand 24 MP on one end starts giving medium format class prints to an extent (or the low end of that), to me it would be just a workflow clog.

Honestly, I think I would be fine with 12 MP. 12 MP of Foveon type data would be great to me. Even 8-9 MP of those.

I just see the 24 MP as a workflow clog, and it demands better lenses to really use the data even if it delivers a bit more with the current lenses.

Just my personal opinion though.

- Raist
Reasonable point about workflow there.

But we should wait to see if the higher pixel density will compromise image quality, particularly at high sensitivities—if a new Pentax sporting that sensor is inferior to the present K-5 in low light, then I would plump for the K-5.

And hope that its price had gone down! ;)

Last edited:

simort

Let us know what you decide to do.
Well, in the end I found a good bargain for a used E-PL2 on Ebay which is going to arrive in the next few days. I'm going to test it for a while to see if it suits me better than my Pentax, and then I will decide which system to keep (might as well keep both ;) )

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I just see the 24 MP as a workflow clog, and it demands better lenses to really use the data even if it delivers a bit more with the current lenses.

Just my personal opinion though.

- Raist
I had a talk with my camera pusher this morning. I asked him if he would start selling Sony again with the new 24MP models coming (he gave them up a year or so ago for many good reasons). He said that he would probably be able to sell a lot of the NEX 7, but "What when people start asking for good lenses for a 24MP sensor? At the moment, there's only one, the 24mm".

This is a very important point. One can't put anything on a camera with that kind of resolution and expect to get all the resolution promised by the enormous pixel count.

raist3d

I had a talk with my camera pusher this morning. I asked him if he would start selling Sony again with the new 24MP models coming (he gave them up a year or so ago for many good reasons). He said that he would probably be able to sell a lot of the NEX 7, but "What when people start asking for good lenses for a 24MP sensor? At the moment, there's only one, the 24mm".

This is a very important point. One can't put anything on a camera with that kind of resolution and expect to get all the resolution promised by the enormous pixel count.
Certainly true. Though Sony is coming out with two, not one good lenses. Ironically similar to the type of lenses Olympus is coming out for micro four thirds. To me these are the first two good Olympus lenses for micro four thirds.

More resolution would still improve with the other lenses but certainly not as much and would be waisting megapixels for someone really expecting 24 MP's. But personally for example if the choice was the Pen 3 or a Nex 7 there are other considerations beyond the resolution- like better ISO and DR. And on the Pen favor, the average lens size. (just talking from the point of view of selling an equipment for a purpose).

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Certainly true. Though Sony is coming out with two, not one good lenses. Ironically similar to the type of lenses Olympus is coming out for micro four thirds. To me these are the first two good Olympus lenses for micro four thirds.

- Raist
Yes, but one big advantage with m4/3 is that there are two suppliers of lenses, both very good, plus Voigtlander and a couple of more obscure ones.

raist3d

Yes, but one big advantage with m4/3 is that there are two suppliers of lenses, both very good, plus Voigtlander and a couple of more obscure ones.
I agree but one big advantage of the Nex 7 is superior DR, better ISO and for those who need it more resolution. Sony also has a lens open system so there's supposed to be more lenses coming and there are adapters also.

Not saying this to downplay micro four thirds, but I think the Nex with the 7 has many compelling reasons to pick it depending on one's needs instead of the initial fail it was (in my eyes) for the enthusiast photographer. And if you only need those focal lengths then the case is done.

Not to mention the built in EVF it has. Finally do keep in mind the Nex has two suppliers - Sony and Carl Zeiss. I don't think Carl Zeiss has much to envy Olympus and I don't think Sony has much to envy Panasonic.

- Raist