The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any former Pentax user?

simort

Hi everybody,

this is my first post on the forum after spending some time lurking around.

I currently own a Pentax K-7 with a fair selection of lenses, both zooms and primes, which is a fine setup (even too much sometimes) for my needs (photography is only a hobby, nothing more).
I am even however more and more tempted by m4/3, both for its compactness and for the overall high quality of both Olympus and Panasonic lenses lineup. I am so tempted in fact that I am seriously thinking of selling all my Pentax gear and replace it with a G3 or EP3 plus a couple of lenses.

Is there any former Pentax user who made the switch and would like to share their experience passing from one system to another?

Thanks

Simone

Rich M

I am a current Pentax user. I don't think I could give up that system and move entirely into the m/43 world.

That being said, the latest prime lens introductions from Olympus and Panasonic make that a harder position to defend.

Just my opinion.....R

J

jedperkins

I was a Pentax user for a few years, had four different bodies during that time and owned a lot of lenses. I switched to MFT when I bought my GF1, and I never regretted it for a second. *I think the whole system is a lot stronger now then when I jumped in, and it is getting stronger all the time. *If compact size is a priority, you will be thrilled with the switch. *If you are a pixel peeper then you may not be 100% satisfied

I take more pictures now with my EP-3 than I ever did with my Pentax. *There are a lot of threads on the different forms about this general topic. *A lot of people run two systems, but I never felt like I was missing anything after I sold my Pentax system. *MFT doesn't do some this as well as dSLRs, but the one thing that I missed, the fast AF is largely solved with the EP-3 and the touch screen shutter activation. *Let's face it, Pentax has never been known for it's lightning AF. *One thing that I don't miss is having to calibrate my lenses to correct for front focus or back focus, not a problem with the CDAF system.

I love the live view - live view on the K7 is a joke compared to the MFT cameras. *Maybe you want to just buy one with a kit lens and try it for a while before you sell your Pentax gear. *If you don't like it you can always sell it on eBay without taking too big a hit. *

If I only owned one MFT I would get one of the new Olympus cameras, I think that coming from a Pentax you will appreciate the in body image stabilization. *The G3 seems really nice too, and has the built in EVF. *I am thrilled with my EP-3 and touch screen, but many others seem equally thrilled with the E-PL3 and the tilt steen.*

Personally I Like the smaller sized Olympus bodies with the removable EVF. *About the only time I use it is when I am using a MF lens, but it is nice to have for bright light also or any time that you want to put the camera up to your eye like an SLR.

Let us know what you decide to do.

raist3d

You could say I did an inverse switch in a way - but more from 4/3rds to Pentax K-5.

If size is a priority, go micro four thirds though the K-5 is the smallest pro specced best ergonomics DSLR I have ever seen.

I will tell you though, the K-5 high ISO, DR and tonal range performance is vastly better than current micro four thirds, but this will only show up more if you are into street night life, you do a lot of high contrast photography (and you do want to keep all the details- maybe you don't for photographic effect), if you want a truly malleable raw file. Shots within the range of what micro four thirds can do, are great (as always, make sure you pick the better lenses).

And the Pentax prime lenses are pretty good so that's covered on the Pentax end.

I agree with jed that the AF of the Pentax though the K-5 is improved is not as good (for static subjects) as current Olympus/Panasonic models. It's fast but you have more control with AF on micro four thirds. If for you AF is a priority, certainly try micro four thirds.

I will say ergonomics wise and camera performance wise + weather sealing- the K-5 is great.

But again set your priorities and what you want. If you are shooting at low ISO in daylight, micro four thirds is fine. Shooting at night with the fast lenses in moderate light, mid ISO should be pretty decent (I am not talking about web sizes, though if that's all you need then go micro four thirds if you value the other pro points).

- Raist

rparmar

Pentax has MFT beat by almost any measure: ergonomics, viewfinder, features, system depth, image quality, etc. The Pentax lenses are also distinctly superior to those available for MFT. MFT body is smaller but add a few lenses and it's pretty much a wash.

MFT has better video and metering (true for my E-P1 in any case). Also better for mounting off-brand lenses (obviously).

I wouldn't switch from Pentax and instead thinking of selling up on Olympus and going back full time.

if you are not considering upgrading to Pentax body w/ Sony sensor (like K5) then Samsung sensor (which went slightly worse for K7 vs K20D) does not offer anything versus the top of the line Panasonic sensors (think GH1, GH2, G3)... Sony sensors are certainly better... so if you are OK w/ raw files from your K7 then you will not really miss anything by moving to Panasonic bodies (GH1, GH2, G3)... you will get worse raws from Olympus cameras though...

raist3d

so which one is "distinctly superior" vs 12/2 for example ? or vs 7-14/4 ?
In general a lot of the Pentax lenses are. It's the same story with Olympus 4/3rds over micro four thirds lenses. That said, micro four thirds is finally getting rolling with some good lenses- like the Olympus prime you mentioned. But Pentax as a system has primes nailed down- those that are not of the uber image quality are smaller and still darn good anyway, and those a bit bigger can be stellar.

Micro four thirds lenses, almost pretty much all of them have optical distortions that need to be corrected for the most part- part of the micro four thirds standard itself.

But yeah, the good lenses are finally coming. To me personally the two new Olympus primes, and the Panny Leica F1.4 look pretty good indeed.

The Pany ultra wide you mention is not bad either.

I will have to agree with the other poster though- to me if I can't put the camera in a pocket at that point it starts getting more into Olympus e-420/620, Pentax K-5 territory. Not quite right, still a bit smaller is cool but you have carry around, and that applies to both.

Ironically the K-5 with the pancake primes is smaller than many micro four thirds lens combinations but the primes and the new pancake panny zoom are to fix that (though I am not a super fan of power zoom- I hope Panasonic allows to customize that to say 2-4 preset focal lengths).

As far as ergonomics, I really think the K-5 has that super nailed down (as well as the K-7, they are near identical).

This pocket-ability is the only reason I am really considering a Pentax Q after all- or the Fuji X10 - or simply to keep my LX5 which is great, instead of going micro four thirds.

What I would *love* to see from Panasonic: a GF3 with manual controls (hey, it can be done look at the Q- looks like it has great ergonomics too), and a black and white only sensor of say 6-8 megapixels.

Man would that rock :)

- Raist

In general a lot of the Pentax lenses are.
in general ? you were asked a specific question after your broad statement.

so you do not know any specific Pentax lenses that are "distinctly superior" vs 12/2 or vs 7-14/4 ? the same eq. focal distance of course... w/ examples from slrgear, photozone or lenstip please.

raist3d

in general ? you were asked a specific question after your broad statement.
You certainly did not ask me. I just gave my opinion on the lenses in general. I could mention single prime lenses that micro four thirds doesn't have but that's beyond the point I presented.

so you do not know any specific Pentax lenses that are "distinctly superior" vs 12/2 or vs 7-14/4 ? the same eq. focal distance of course... w/ examples from slrgear, photozone or lenstip please.
I don't think I have to answer that because again, you were not asking that question to me nor responding to me per se. I just gave my opinion as a general assessment of where I see Pentax K mount lenses, and where I see micro four thirds lenses.

- Ricardo

Rich M

Hehehehe.......slow down and take a deep breath :)

There are more and more m4/3 lenses that are gaining a solid reputation amongst users and score well (if one really cares) in lens tests. You named two....there are several others.

In the Pentax world, there are literally dozens of exceptional lenses, both prime and zoom that are considered world class.

A visit to the Pentax forum on this website or to the lens review section of Pentax Forums (http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/) might better answer your specific questions.

Hope this helps......R

Paratom

I had a K5 with some lenses. With Pentax I see 2 problems: Inconsistent AF and inconsistent lens quality.
However I really prefered the OVF, the IQ of the larger sensor and the shallower DOF as well as the overall handling of the K5 over m4/3. (I have a EP2 but now use a G3).
One special thing about the Pentax I found the color and tonality is very filmlike.
However I didnt get the focus problems under conrol so I gave up. (Other report to not have focus problems)
The Pentax I feel like a small "real" camera.
The m4/3 I feel like a big "digicam".

simort

I had a K5 with some lenses. With Pentax I see 2 problems: Inconsistent AF and inconsistent lens quality.
HA! I think you nailed the biggest issue I have with Pentax. AF at very large apertures seems a hit or miss affair, especially in the newer models. Before the K-7 I have owned a K-r for about 6 months, before eventually selling it for MASSIVE AF back focusing issues in artificial light. The K-7 is better but not perfect, and is a whole lot slower. I also considered upgrading to the K-5, but it allegedly has the same AF problems in tungsten light (even though it seems not so bad as the K-r), and I wouldn't like to shell out so much money just to have another mis-focusing camera. I can live with slow AF, but definitely not with out of focus photos!

simort

Many thanks to everybody for your replies. It seems like almost everybody agrees thata newer m4/3 bodies are much better at focusing than Pentax bodies.

What is still not very clear to me is how they compare (especially the 12-megapixel sensor ones, like the EP-3 or older Panasonic bodies) with the K-7 in terms of image quality. If I were to make the jump (assuming that I get used to the different ergonomics and the EVF) would I notice an improvement or are they going to be similar? Is high ISO performance (1600 iso is enough for me) going to be better?

Thanks

Paratom

Many thanks to everybody for your replies. It seems like almost everybody agrees thata newer m4/3 bodies are much better at focusing than Pentax bodies.

What is still not very clear to me is how they compare (especially the 12-megapixel sensor ones, like the EP-3 or older Panasonic bodies) with the K-7 in terms of image quality. If I were to make the jump (assuming that I get used to the different ergonomics and the EVF) would I notice an improvement or are they going to be similar? Is high ISO performance (1600 iso is enough for me) going to be better?

Thanks
I havent had the g3 very long now but personally I highly doubt that color, tonality and noise behaviour would be as good as the K5. And then some people will say it is as good because its a new generation sensor. But even if this was the case then we can expect a new generation sensor for DX as well.
Besides color and tonality I find there is another difference:
With dx you have more room regarding shallow DOF, even with the new Oly 45/1.8 you cant get as shallow DOF like a 55/1.4 or 77/1.8 on a dx sensor.

To me the K5 images look more "filmlike" tha those I get with m4/3.

I think you feel that I am torn between thoise systems myself. I can tell you if I had a Pentax K5 and lenses which would focus reliable I would clearly prefer the Pentax.
Besides AF the G3 (or other m4/3) have the advantage of small size.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I havent had the g3 very long now but personally I highly doubt that color, tonality and noise behaviour would be as good as the K5. And then some people will say it is as good because its a new generation sensor. But even if this was the case then we can expect a new generation sensor for DX as well.
Besides color and tonality I find there is another difference:
With dx you have more room regarding shallow DOF, even with the new Oly 45/1.8 you cant get as shallow DOF like a 55/1.4 or 77/1.8 on a dx sensor.

To me the K5 images look more "filmlike" tha those I get with m4/3.

I think you feel that I am torn between thoise systems myself. I can tell you if I had a Pentax K5 and lenses which would focus reliable I would clearly prefer the Pentax.
Besides AF the G3 (or other m4/3) have the advantage of small size.
Tom,

actually I back all you say! Especially if the K5 would have delivered consistent AF I would have kept this system and not gone back into m43, not even with Olympus.

Peter

Godfrey

I currently own a Pentax K-7 with a fair selection of lenses, both zooms and primes, which is a fine setup (even too much sometimes) for my needs (photography is only a hobby, nothing more).
I am even however more and more tempted by m4/3, both for its compactness and for the overall high quality of both Olympus and Panasonic lenses lineup. I am so tempted in fact that I am seriously thinking of selling all my Pentax gear and replace it with a G3 or EP3 plus a couple of lenses.

Is there any former Pentax user who made the switch and would like to share their experience passing from one system to another?
I used Pentax gear for several years, while the *ist DS and K10D bodies were current. I had opportunity to use virtually all the current lenses available at that time and also used a large number of older M, K, A, F and FA series lenses. I have had no experience with the K7 or K5 bodies.

From there I moved to using FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds with the Panasonic L1 and G1, Olympus E-1 and E-5 bodies, with Panasonic and Olympus FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds lenses as well as with a number of adapted lenses.

Of the Pentax gear, I found many of the lenses to be excellent but also many to be mediocre; the Limited series prime lenses and particularly the DA14, DA21, FA43 and FA77 were top notch, my favorite Pentax lenses. The *ist DS and K10D bodies were good, each with its own minor foibles in use. From what I've read, the same is true of the K7 and K5 bodies but per above I have no direct experience. My personal summary: good value for money, somewhat uneven in quality.

Of the FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds gear, all of the bodies I listed proved to be fine performers and very consistently produced image quality on par with or superior to the Pentax bodies I had used before them. The G1 was the smallest and lightest, produced image quality on par with the L1, E-1 and K10D modulo small differences in sensitivity and dynamic range. The E-5 is a substantively better performer than the others in all ways: responsiveness, customizability, features, dynamic range, sensitivity and acutance. Again, with no direct experience using a K-5, I can only speculate but from what I've read and seen as samples the K-5's sensitivity exceeds the E-5 by perhaps 1.5 stops.

Regards FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds lenses, all that I've used have proven to be consistently above average to excellent quality. This includes in Micro-FourThirds mount the Lumix G 14-45/3.5-5.6 standard with the G1, Lumix G 20mm, and Macro-Elmarit 45mm, and in FourThirds SLR mount the Panasonic 14-50/2.8-3.5, 25/1.4 and Olympus 11-22/2.8-3.5, 25/2.8, 35/3.5 Macro, 50/2 Macro, and 50-200/2.8-3.5 (never mind the super-high-grade 7-14/4, 14-35/2 and 150/2 that I rented).

Since I render my images from raw captures, what image qualities ("film like", etc) come out of the bodies' JPEG rendering is mostly irrelevant in all cases. Suffice it to say that with lenses that are on par in quality, I obtained image quality from all of the above equipment that is virtually indistinguishable as to which camera made the exposure.

So, my overall summary is that Pentax, FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds can all produce superb results. Differences between the systems come down to minor differences in individual body sensitivity and dynamic range, larger differences in features and feel of the bodies, and which lenses you pick to use. The FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds gear have been consistent in quality and feel, IMO, and the FourThirds SLR lenses available up to when I stopped using Micro-FourThirds were a notch higher grade in build and performance to what was then available in Micro-FourThirds mount (this has changed as both Panasonic and Olympus have released several higher-performance Micro-FourThirds lenses). There are a few Pentax lenses that I miss for their unique qualities (the 43 Limited in particular, the 77 and 21 Limiteds after that), but I wouldn't go back to Pentax just for those.

For Olympus and Panasonic, it's pretty clear now that Micro-FourThirds is their way forwards and they are advancing both their product lines in that direction (both lenses and bodies). The big questions here are when a professional grade body that compares on par with the E-5 will be released, and what will happen to the top of the line Olympus SLR lenses as a result of the move to Micro-FourThirds.

For Pentax, the future is a little less clear since Pentax Imaging was sold to Ricoh by Hoya, and Ricoh has not yet announced their future plans for the Pentax brand and camera/lens lines as yet.

Paratom

I am a bit surprized about some trends...
I dont understand why micro 4/3 is pushed so much and 4/3 is not.
While I find m4/3 small size nice for some things (parties, bycicle tours, casual stuff) I find a nice OVF and more important a certain size and weight of a camera body just the better tool. More stable in the hands, buttons better to reach without looking at it, better viewfinder, faster lenses.
Maybe I am old fashioned but m4/3 still does feel to small with too many buttons and video-camera-like viewfinder for me as an overall camera. Even without owning one a E5 is - IMO - much more camera than a GH2 or G3 or EP3.

size, amount of mp and high ISO noise are the most overrated features IMO today.

Thanks
you will be approx on par w/ Samsung sensor in K7...