The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is anyone here using µ4/3rds camera for video?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello all

I am presently experimenting with an XZ-1, with the SEMA external sound input device that sits in the hotshoe, and using a Sony wireless mic setup, plugging the receiver's output into the SEMA.

But is anyone shooting video and recording external sound on a 4/3rds camera? if so, I'd love to know your setup. Ideally, I wold like one channel to be voice, and the other channel atmosphere—is there any way to do this with, say, a GH2?

Bigger picture is that I expect to be on the road extensively in the next few years, and a video–stills setup is how I need to go. I have the sound gear already, and the 14, 20, 14–45, and 45 lenses.

All suggestions gratefully received! KL

pellicle

hi

But is anyone shooting video and recording external sound on a 4/3rds camera? if so, I'd love to know your setup. Ideally, I wold like one channel to be voice, and the other channel atmosphere—is there any way to do this with, say, a GH2?
using a GH1, using a Zoom H1 as my mic and just using the audio track from the camera as ambient and 'sync' waveform.

the Zoom is a reasonable stereo mic with quite a good WAV or MP3 recorder built in. Works a treat. We use if for interviews and "events"

I have mainly used legacy lenses in our recording, but found some interesting caveats with the kit zoom in the last 'event' recording (posted a question about that)

Everyone is very happy with the results (except the media production team who just spent $5000 on a "pro" 2/3 camera which does not look as sweet)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Kit,
I haven't tried it, but wouldn't this be a simple but workable solution?

Be aware that audio level is automatic on the GH1 (and I believe on the GH2 as well, but don't take my word for it), which may lead to unexpected results with two different audio sources. Maybe an external sound recorder is the best solution after all :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello pellicle, I do have the big Zoom (H4n) but have ruled it out for the on-the-road scenario simply through weight. Sound quality is excellent, though, for sure. I have been looking at the Roland digital recorder but I will take another look at the little Zoom...

Hmmm: I could fit my lapel mic to one channel of the Zoom, and have the camera record atmos—no? I edit in FCP7, so adjusting levels is no problem, and for ease of editing I can record the voice to both the H1 tracks. And can you point me to that other post you mentioned, please?

Jorgen, I have not seen that cable arrangement. One of the advantages of the pellicle solution is that the Zoom can be on me physically—so no need for the transmitter-receiver setup. Sync is a hand-clap.

and to all: if my goal is 720p, iPad or laptop delivered, is there really any advantage to the GH2 over the G1? For the first time in my life I am thinking about what could work for the least money, rather than "go out and buy the best"—my normal MO!

cheers, KL

pellicle

Hi

Hello pellicle,
but I will take another look at the little Zoom...
lots of good options in that area. I use the H1 (the itty bitty zoom : ) cos its compact light and 'good enough'

I close mic the subject and put the zoom near to them and sit back further with the GH1 and a 50mm lens .. but then there are so many situations I could not second guess what works best for you.

Hmmm: I could fit my lapel mic to one channel of the Zoom, and have the camera record atmos—no? I edit in FCP7, so adjusting levels is no problem, and for ease of editing I can record the voice to both the H1 tracks. And can you point me to that other post you mentioned, please?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30198

Essentially I've also observed that using available light (read in office without direct sun) that I get noisier recordings using the MOV compared to the AVCHD with the 14-45 lens. I'm wondering if the noise i AF noise. Have not as yet been in front of gear and thought about doing the obvious comparison of a short segment with my FD manual focus lens, but typically the camera nor subject move during interviews and so manual focus on the kit lens is fine.

so no need for the transmitter-receiver setup. Sync is a hand-clap.
gotta love the old ways sometimes :)

pellicle

Hi

Kit,

Be aware that audio level is automatic on the GH1 (and I believe on the GH2 as well, but don't take my word for it), which may lead to unexpected results with two different audio sources. Maybe an external sound recorder is the best solution after all :)
another reason I like the zoom :)

also, never tried external inputs on the H1 (nice idea btw) but if you do such a thing on the H1 then
- you loose the built in XY stereo mic
- you get much better S/N ratio so if you have a better mic input stage you'll get **** hot sound quality out of the H1