The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4/3 cameras with Leica lenses

eshotwell

Any suggestions for the best 4/3 camera to use with adaptor and Leica M lenses? I have to believe that the quality has got to be better with the Leica glass that I already own.

Brian Mosley

The Sony Nex 5N would probably be top of my list to use with Leica lenses, or perhaps the Ricoh with Leica M module. Maybe the Sony Nex 7 would also be worth a look.

If you really want to go with a 4/3rds sensor cam, I'd recommend the E-PL3 which has a tilting LCD for waist level shooting as well as in-body-image-stabilisation.

Cheers

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm using my Leica lenses with a pair of G3's and a G1. I am hoping that the NEX7 will be a winner because I would prefer a 1.5x crop with my lenses. I have had a NEX5, but just do not care for the experience of focusing Leica glass on an LCD. In the meantime, I am very satisfied with my G3's.

Brian Mosley

The 5N has the port for Sony's high res EVF - with focus peaking and (according to tests I saw by Amin Sebet) arguably better sensor this is still looking good.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

Any suggestions for the best 4/3 camera to use with adaptor and Leica M lenses? I have to believe that the quality has got to be better with the Leica glass that I already own.
You might consider the Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount and its VF-2 accessory viewfinder if your intent is to use your Leica M lenses exclusively. This GXR camera unit was designed specifically for M-bayonet (and by adaptation, LTM) RF camera lenses. See the discussions and photos posted in the "Other Cameras" forum on this site ... most of them have "Ricoh GXR" in the title, they're easy to find.

This Ricoh GXR camera unit is just now arriving at retailers for delivery, but evaluation units have been available for a couple of weeks. I had the pleasure of testing one that Uwe Steinmueller had ... It is truly an excellent performer and works brilliantly with both my and his M-bayonet and other lenses (via adapters).

I had a Panasonic G1 for two years and used it with a lot of adapted manual lenses, and was pleased with the results. But from what I see in my quickie test exposures, the GXR out-performs it by a good margin.

My A12 Camera Mount is due to ship to me tomorrow ...

Brian Mosley

Hi Godfrey, that makes sense... What sensor does the Ricoh use? What crop factor do you get, and how would you say it compared with that of the Sony Nex 5N towards high iso?

Cheers

Brian