The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bell & Howell Angenieux Lens

J

Jimofatl

I have had in my possession for many years a new Bell & Howell Angenieux 1" f/0.95
for 70-200, B&H No. 27891. On the lens cap, it says "Size 5.5

Is this lens worth anything, as it is new in the box? Any information would be appreciated.

CVickery

Based on your description it would seem to be a C-mount lens (not sure what the 'for 70-200' means) If so it may be usable on m43 cameras, but will likely vignette somewhat. The 'Size 5.5' is the filter size.

I have the 3" f2.5 Angenieux and like it.

I really couldn't say what it would be worth. The C-mount lenses spiked in value a year or so ago, mainly due to the novelty and lack of m43 primes, but m43 has a better lens selection now and prices seem to have dropped considerably for these lenses.

J

Jimofatl

Michiel,

If it would fit on a Power Shot, I would. LOL

Jim

J

Jimofatl

Photography is not my hobby. A point and shoot is my limit.:)

Jim

D

dwright

200 - 70 refers to the Bell & Howell 16mm cine camera ranges i.e Filmo 70 (1925) through to 70-S (1959) and Autoload 200 (1952) through to 240EE (1960).

My Wallace Heaton "Blue Book" for 1960-61 lists the Angenieux 25mm f0.95 (1") at £66-10-00 "To fit all 16mm Bell & Howell cameras (except 200EE and 240EE) and other models with standard "C" threaded mount".

I have a Taylor Hobson 1" f1.4 Ivotal which came from an old B&H Autoload which is listed in the same book at £34-17-6 so the Angenieux was definitely a premium price product. I don't like to think how much the 1961 price would be revalued to 2011 paper Pounds.

As the Ivotal is generally reckoned a good lens - example taken using a Panasonic G1 below - your Angenieux should be excellent.

ggibson

Looks like a c-mount lens from the size to me. I think the screw width on c-mount is 25mm, so you can measure it. These used to go for quite a bit on ebay ($1K+) a while ago, but now that the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and Panasonic 25mm f1.4 are available for m4/3, the Angenieux is a bit more of a novelty lens. Still, it surely has some collector value as well since the condition is good.

edz

If you do decide to sell it there is a For Sale section in these forums. I think there are quite a few people who would be interested in buying it here =)

J

Jimofatl

Thanks all for your comments. After speaking with others, I will put it on ebay for $800.00, since it is new in the box. Again, this novice thanks you................................Jim