The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

45 f1.8 arrived

Terry

Nice lens but two really annoying things.....

Oly still refuses to include lens hoods with their lenses....but they do include a silly little decoration ring that hides the bayonet for the hood.

Should be interesting to find the right sized hood. ......

By the way "decoration ring" is what Oly calls it on their website.

On the plus side the focus ring is silky smooth.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congrats! I've only seen great results from that lens. I've gone a different way for portrait lens on m4/3, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in 4/3 mount. It looks a bit silly with that huge, circular panorama window attached to the GH1, but the lens hood was included :)

Terry

That lens hood might work. I also got a 37mm ND filter for it so I need to figure out if I get a 37mm hood or the Oly bayonet. I don't see the Oly OEM one on the site.

jonoslack

Hi Terry
I didn't know it was shipping - congratulations.

t think lens hoods are over-rated, actually, especially on zooms. But I've always felt that if you are using an LCD/EVF, the one's hand is a much better lens hood - you can direct it carefully, and with respect to the actual direction of the sun.

all the best

Terry

Yeah, I knew there wasn't a hood but it is annoying that they spend time on designing and manufacturing a plastic ring that hides the bayonet.

I have a 37mm 2 stop ND to give me some more latitude shooting more open out of doors 37mm is really tiny LOL.

jonoslack

Yeah, I knew there wasn't a hood but it is annoying that they spend time on designing and manufacturing a plastic ring that hides the bayonet.

I have a 37mm 2 stop ND to give me some more latitude shooting more open out of doors 37mm is really tiny LOL.
It's rather sweet isn't it - some of the Leica lenses are 39mm

Godfrey

The 45mm f/1.8 looks nice! That's a great focal length and speed for Micro-FourThirds.

... think lens hoods are over-rated, actually, especially on zooms. But I've always felt that if you are using an LCD/EVF, the one's hand is a much better lens hood - you can direct it carefully, and with respect to the actual direction of the sun. ...
A rigid lens hood helps to protect the front of the lens and often reduces overall flare as well. Shading the lens with your hand or hat helps in more extreme situations as a supplement to the standard use of a good hood. They're clumsy, bulky, get in the way, and often expensive. But I wouldn't be without good, deep lens hoods on my lenses.

CPWarner

So, how does it compare to the Panasonic Leica 45mm f2.8? I realize the Panny is a macro, and a bit slower. But for anyone who has used both, what are your impressions. I really like the Panasonic and always have it in my bag for more than macro.

T

thearne3

I just got this lens as well. As a temporary measure, got an inexpensive hood on ebay - about 2cm deep and less than $10. Here is a shot taken with my iphone (lousy light, sorry!):

Didn't have a good subject so I did a handheld self portrait - pretty much at close focus minimum - f2.5:

The Oly macro adapter also works with this lens; again, close focus:

Godfrey

The results look very nice!
The Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8 is a wonderful lens, I expect this 45/1.8 is too. I guess it boils down to which one works better for your uses ... 1:1 macro and OIS for those cameras without in body IS, or a stop and a third more speed. It's a win-win situation.

biglouis

The results look very nice!
The Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8 is a wonderful lens, I expect this 45/1.8 is too. I guess it boils down to which one works better for your uses ... 1:1 macro and OIS for those cameras without in body IS, or a stop and a third more speed. It's a win-win situation.
I can see the virtue in owning both. The 45/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens. Never fails to deliver sharp and beautifully coloured results. However, I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.

LouisB

Terry

I can see the virtue in owning both. The 45/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens. Never fails to deliver sharp and beautifully coloured results. However, I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.

LouisB
I can see someone owning both as well. That extra 1.3 stops can be very useful for both keeping the ISO lower, and a better portrait background. The price on the Oly 45 isn't too bad either.

pellicle

I have been incredibly impressed as the wide open look of the 45/1.8 for portrait work, in the samples I have seen so far.
would love to see this side by side with an OM 50 f1.8 as a comparison. I love my OM 50 and wonder if in portrait work the AF would be an issue?