The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 portrait set-up - hail the 45/1.8!

pellicle

Thanks again, folks, for the kind remarks. This lens is, for me, an essential m4/3 lens - one I've long awaited.
kind remarks well deserved.

The lens seems excellent, think I'll have to save my bikkies for one and perhaps retire my faithful OM 50 f1.8 as for sure the AF will be a benefit (and the auto zoom on manual operation)

Michiel Schierbeek

Fantastic portaits Don.
Those eyes of both your models, so sparkling!

Amin lovely shot of your son!

Anyway you made me buy this lens too.

The only place I could find one in Holland happened to be opposite the restaurant where my son is a chef. So he had to be my first victim :)
Nothing fancy but just a quick snapshot, because he had to work.

Michiel

DHart

Cool shot Michiel. I'm sure you'll love this lens.

Here's one I grabbed with the G3 and 45/1.8 during a portrait session (5DMkII) today.

Last edited:

pellicle

Here's one I grabbed with the G3 and 45/1.8 during a portrait session (5DMkII) today.
looks good, so what it that you find about it that means you would not be replacing the 5D and 70-200? It would not seem to be about the image quality presented here.

Is it the versatility of the 70-200, the functionality of the 5D?

Just wondering.

:)

DHart

pellicle... the only way I can get the same OOF background look with the 45/1.8 on m4/3 that I get with the 70-200 f/2.8 on full frame sensor is to shoot a very tight head and shoulders, really close to camera. Also, the G3 is so small and light that it's actually more difficult for me to work with. Perhaps I could become accustomed to that, however.

Also, the dynamic range of the full frame sensor allows me to extract more useful detail from deep shadows and bright highlights than is possible with a m4/3 sensor. And lastly, is the additional pixels available for rendering small areas of the image and for fine editing... which is actually critically important for photographing groups of people where the head sizes become a small part of the overall image.

We're going to have to have a 100mm f/2 lens on a m4/3 sensor to approximate the looks I can achieve with the 70-200 f/2.8 on the full frame 5DMkII. Hopefully someday, Olympus or Pana/Leica will offer up a 100m f/2 lens... THAT would be nirvana for me! :) And perhaps by then, the image data size will be large enough to be better suited to rendering and editing small areas of the image where you might have an environmental portrait where the person's face is a small part of the image or a group photo where there are numerous faces, each comprising a small area of the photo. These are things that are especially important to a pro portrait photographer, but might not be so important to the casual shooter.

Amin

Fantastic portaits Don.
Those eyes of both your models, so sparkling!

Amin lovely shot of your son!

Anyway you made me buy this lens too.

The only place I could find one in Holland happened to be opposite the restaurant where my son is a chef. So he had to be my first victim :)
Nothing fancy but just a quick snapshot, because he had to work.

Michiel
Thanks, Michiel, that is an excellent shot of your son as well. I really like how you brought his environment into the image!

Cool shot Michiel. I'm sure you'll love this lens.

Another fantastic portrait Don :thumbs:.

I still can't get over how small this lens is. Mounted on my E-PM1 (provided to me by Olympus as part of their PenReady promotion), it looks like a typical small sensor compact. No one at a dinner party would think otherwise.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Don

I think you missed focus a hair on #5 of the boy—only because the reflections in his eyes are so sharp on the others. Yet his lips are razor sharp, so the overall effect is very pleasing indeed. Lovely work.

Definitely getting this lens.

Re, wanting a 100/2: anywhere from 85/1.4 or ƒ2 would do, too.

DHart

kit.... yes, an 85/1.4 or 1.8 would be wonderful!

Zoran... I pre-ordered mine through B&H. Check your local brick and mortar camera stores... often, they will have a small stock of the items that the big internet stores are out of stock on.

Amin... yes, it's an amazing and very small lens... about the same size as my other favorite new lens... the 12/2.

pellicle

Hi

can't help with the other aspects (fully agree t00) but wit this

We're going to have to have a 100mm f/2 lens on a m4/3 sensor to approximate the looks I can achieve with the 70-200 f/2.8 on the full frame 5DMkII.
I use an Olympus OM100f2.8 on my GH1 and like it a lot (and was well priced). I find that I can focus quite quickly (old hand at Manual Focus) and with a quick flick of the image zoom in focus can get a tighter and more precise focus than with the AF on my EOS camera.

I'll be borrowing a 5D in a couple of weeks to see how I feel about the 100 f2 lens and comparing to my G1 with 50 f1.4 Some time ago I felt I liked the look of the larger format and longer lenses, but I need to revisit this to see "by how much" again.

It's a hard choice for me however as the 5D body will set me back more than a couple of lenses on the G series. I wonder if anyone who looks at my pictures can tell enough of the difference to make it worth my while.

DHart

Pellicle... I'd say use whatever camera gives you what you desire in terms of image look and feel. If you're pleased with the results, who cares what anyone else thinks! That's how I operate and it's served me very well indeed. Go with whatever floats YOUR boat.

Personally, I haven't found anything in a smaller format that gives me what I get with my full frame 5DMkII that works as well, for me, for professional portrait and commercial work. Could I "get by" with just my m4/3? Sure. But I would not be able to achieve the same results as I can get with the 5DMkII.

That doesn't mean I don't absolutely LOVE my now quite expansive m4/3 kit for all of my personal and travel photography. The m4/3 gear is simply wonderful, but some folks do need more than one camera format, depending on the task at hand. Other folks have their needs served perfectly well with just one format. The day I stop shooting professionally, I will probably retire my 5DMkII gear and shoot with just m4/3. In the meantime, I'm happy to work with both systems, as applicable.

DHart

Erik... you're welcome!

Here's two more from today's session to finish out the evening... I am loving this lens!