The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 portrait set-up - hail the 45/1.8!

DHart

I have earned my living as a portrait photographer for many years. And I've used Canons with L-lenses for that. (5DMkII in recent years).

I jumped into m4/3 a couple of years ago... just for the fun of it... as a personal camera system. Over the last two years my GF1 and 20 and 14-45 were joined by a lot more lenses (native and legacy) and GH2, G3, GF3, and E-PL3 bodies. Since my first day with the GF1, I have yearned for a native (auto focus) portrait lens for m4/3. With the announcement of the 45/1.8, I was very excited.

This week, while I was in the middle of a portrait session, the big brown truck brought my long awaited 45/1.8 from B&H. I couldn't resist the urge to grab a couple of shots with my recently acquired E-PL3 and the freshly minted 45/1.8 during my portrait session.

I quickly found that with the 45/1.8, the m4/3 system truly reached new heights of capability. While this won't replace my 5DMkII and 70-200 f/2.8 L lens for portrait work, it will certainly make for some wonderful personal portraits. Awesome lens!!!

In my haste to press the E-PL3 and 45/1.8 into use for a few images, I failed to notice that my ISO was at 800. That mishap considered, I still think the E-PL3 and 45/1.8 did a surprisingly nice job.

E-PL3 IS0 800, 45/1.8 lens @ f/4

E-PL3 IS0 800, 45/1.8 lens @ f/1.8

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And I am assuming that this will work perfectly (i.e., with all functions) on a GH2?

I would love to see a comparison between the 45/2.8 macro and this new lens, bith wide open. At ƒ1.8, this new lens looks as though it has enough DOF for portraits—I usually use ƒ2.8–4 on a FF camera, so that the DOF doesn't look too shallow (and intrude as an effect). Both these look really good to my eye.

DHart

Subject isolation is wonderful with this lens. I intend to test it more this coming week (along side my 5DMkII) during my upcoming portrait sessions. I'm excited because we m4/3 users finally have a native portrait length lens that provides a shallow DOF look that begins to approach what we can so easily achieve with the FF kits. Now I'm hoping that we will someday get a 100mm f/1.8 or 2.0 lens for m4/3.

Amin... That's a wonderful portrait of your son that perfectly displays the subject isolation this lens can provide.

biglouis

I agree with Terry's analysis. The PannyLeica 45/2.8 is an awesome macro lens but I have always felt it leaves something to be desired for portraits. Looking at all the examples here the 45/1.8 is on my list for portrait work alone.

LouisB

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Well, I am going to have to add it; the macro has its own domain for sure, and may be more of an all-purpose lens, but this Oly is looking just right for me. Thanks Amin.

you really needed to get in close to the subject to clear out the background... but these do not compare to the two wide open portraits posted above made with the 45 f1.8
here is one w/ PL45/2.8 @ 3.5... shoulders to pate like the one above (but a bigger person - hence the distance was bigger too)

or @ 2.8 - get the stroller out and you will have a nice blur

DHart

Today I tested the 45/1.8 on my G3. One needs to keep camera-to-subject distance fairly close and shoot wide open to maximize background bokeh, but this lens demonstrates very good portrait sharpness when shot wide open and excellent subject isolation with short camera to subject distances. Olympus has hit a grand slam with the 45/1.8. For my money, this lens is a must have for my m4/3 kit.

Lumix G3 w/ Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens ISO 200 shot at f/1.8.

Amin

Fantastic portraits, Don! As I said a few minutes ago on another thread, I think this lens is the second "no brainer" lens for MFTs (the first being the Lumix 20).

My older brother recently decided to get rid of his GF1 and 20/1.7 for a Fuji X100, and to me this lens was one of the best arguments against doing that.

DHart

Thanks folks for the kind remarks. Our community is very blessed to have the current state of m4/3 gear and I'm sure it will only get better from here!

Terry... I use available light and reflectors almost exclusively. (Except in studio where I occasionally use flash, but more commonly continuous professional flourescent). I'm not a fan of flash (the look) except when applied with great skill.

DHart

Thanks again, folks, for the kind remarks. This lens is, for me, an essential m4/3 lens - one I've long awaited.