The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 portrait set-up - hail the 45/1.8!

pellicle

Don

Pellicle... I'd say use whatever camera gives you what you desire in terms of image look and feel. If you're pleased with the results, who cares what anyone else thinks! That's how I operate and it's served me very well indeed. Go with whatever floats YOUR boat.
thanks ... good advice. Please me first please others if it so happens.
:thumbup:

ZoranC

Thank you! As usual Amazon seems to be lagging behind :(
To my pleasant surprise I received shipment notice from Amazon day after this and had lens in my hand on Friday thanks to Prime.

I don't have anything of artistic value with it to share yet but quick check confirmed it is all it is cranked up to be.

DHart

A couple more from this lens. I'm now quite confident in the ability of this lens and m4/3 to create portrait imagery with a look and feel that I like.

pellicle

Hi

pellicle... the only way I can get the same OOF background look with the 45/1.8 on m4/3 that I get with the 70-200 f/2.8 on full frame sensor is to shoot a very tight head and shoulders,

Also, the dynamic range of the full frame sensor allows me to extract more useful detail from deep shadows and bright highlights than is possible with a m4/3 sensor
These are things that are especially important to a pro portrait photographer, but might not be so important to the casual shooter.
all these points prompted me to borrow a 5D and ponk my OM100 f2.8 on it and compare that to a 50mm @ f1.4 I put the results on my

The results were pretty much just as you say above. Hmmm ...

thanks for making me think about this more, I'm now a little more informed.

Paratom

Hi

all these points prompted me to borrow a 5D and ponk my OM100 f2.8 on it and compare that to a 50mm @ f1.4 I put the results on my

The results were pretty much just as you say above. Hmmm ...

thanks for making me think about this more, I'm now a little more informed.
The harsher highlight roll off is the biggest problem of m4/3 IMO.
Very often reflection on skin can be "burned" why they would still look fine with a larger sensor.

DHart

And though the 45/1.8 is a great step in the right direction for m4/3 portrait shooters, my favorite portrait lens is the 70-200 f/2.8 L on the full frame 5DMkII. To achieve the look I routinely get with that kit at 200mm shot wide open at f/2.8, I would need a 100mm f/1.8 lens on a m4/3 body to get close. Though I'd still be lacking the dynamic range and the lower noise of the full frame sensor.

Clearly, our beloved m4/3 is a great system, but it is in no way a direct substitute for full frame gear for some applications. I do love both systems, though, each for different reasons.

pellicle

Clearly, our beloved m4/3 is a great system, but it is in no way a direct substitute for full frame gear for some applications. I do love both systems, though, each for different reasons.
indeed, I'm glad to have the m4/3 systems but I am seeing that they are not without compromises in a few areas. That is not to say they are not without advantages too :)

Thanks for your images and inputs. I'm now seriously considering this 1.8 lens

pellicle

Hi

Pellicle... I'm sure you will love the 45/1.8, it's a fantastic lens.
initial discussions on here suggested the price would be something I'm unwilling to commit to, however recent searching on Amazon and BHPhoto has turned up that it may actually be cheaper than an EF100 f2 ... if that's the case and its around US$400 I'll be in my hands in the pay cycle after I know the price :)

ErikTande

Took this Harry Potter themed picture for a friend yesterday, it was almost 70 degrees in Denver.

GH2, Olympus 45mm 1.8, 1 reflector bouncing the sun back on her face.