The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any news about Panasonic's October firmware release?

Owen_Coors

Has anyone heard anything specific about when Panasonic is suppose to release the updated firmware? I think I remember reading that it was supposed to be the first part of October. I'm really looking forward to this and I don't want to miss it :sleep006:

Annna T

I have read on dpreview that a new firmware had been released for the G3, but it seems that there was a problem with legacy lenses and they took it down. They say a new version will be available in about two weeks.
From what I've read the goal of the new firmware is to add new functions to operate the X lenses.
Here is a link to what I've read at Dpreview : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=39536663

and this is the link to Panasonic firmware update page :

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

They don't explain anything.

Last edited:

Owen_Coors

Thank you, both, for your replies. I see, now, that I wasn't very specific about which firmware I was waiting for, which is the camera body firmware update. Thanks for the links. I now have my GF2 body updated and right off I noticed a change as it can now capture images, perfectly, under the fluorescent lighting in my kitchen. It could only muster a brown image, always, before the update, in that lighting. If I find any other noteworthy changes I'll share them here.

Knorp

Re: The G3 and GF3 firmware supension is lifted and available for downlaod now

The G3 and GF3 firmware update supension is lifted and can be downloaded from this link :

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

Here is what Panasonic states on the download page :

For customers of DMC-G3 and DMC-GF3
The firmware update service starts again on Oct. 12,2011.
Thank you Anna, G3 firmware just downloaded and updated.

Kind regards.

Owen_Coors

OK, there seems to be lots of changes in the firmware update, for the GF2... some good, some not so good, IMO. The bad thing, for me, is that "auto-ISO" no longer tries to keep the shutter speed high. For example: now, it will use ISO400 and 1/60th, where with the old firmware it would use ISO800 and 1/125th for the same exposure. Not a biggie, but I was used to the former way, even though the noise was terrible at ISO800 (actually ISO1205, according to DXOmark's testing.) On this note, I was hoping for 1/3-stop ISO increments to be implemented for the autoISO's highest threshold, which I wanted to set to ISO640. Doesn't matter now though, with the autoISO not working the same. I also believe that the dynamic range of images has been reduced somewhat.
On the positive side, the color is hugely improved over the old firmware. If another GF2 user sees this and has similar or contrary findings to my own, I'd really like to read your viewpoint:)