The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kowa LM8HC full coverage 8mm f1.4 on standard m43 sensor (GF1, EP1 etc)

zcream

Here is the Kowa 8mm LM8HC on the Gh1 and GF1. On any of the standard m43 sensors its full coverage.
GH1 video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_rpI_xuoU

GF1 pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/anmol.mishra/Kowa85mm?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2Y57G7pIvKigE

Note that the GH1 has an oversized sensor 1.86x crop. All other m43 series have a 2x crop sensor.

On the standard sensor, part of the vignette is removed with a corner brighten mask. A very small part is still left and it can be cropped.

Hard to obtain. I took out the rear mount and glued the Super thin C-mount adapter.

Last edited:
A

Allan Ostling

Re: Kowa LM8HC full coverage 8mm f1.4

Your links show images which do not cover the M43 sensor.

saxshooter

that heavy corner vignetting = not full coverage. but i'm guessing it was worse before you modified it.

Pat Donnelly

Thanks for that!

The distortion at the edge of the coverage, before the vignetting, is quite marked and might be useful for some purposes, but may put some folks off.

There seems to be a difference between the sensor coverage on still of maybe 90%, and movie of maybe 75%?

I get ticked off by strange comments questioning my motives when I mention wide c mount lenses on another forum, so despite hundreds of posts there, I have ceased to be active. I always learn from what others post and do not find it conducive to good relations to be dismissive of the efforts of others.

Good to see you are still seeking the grail! There are lenses capable of 1 inch sensor coverage that will cover more of the sensor. They tend to look the part though? Bulbous glass, 67mm diameter exit? Rare indeed!

Last edited:

zcream

Gents and ladies. Its full coverage on the standard m43 sensor i.e. GF1, EP1 etc. Look at the pics taken with the GF1. Part of the corner darkening can be taken out with a brighten mask. In the end, about 3-5% is the vignette and can be cropped as needed.
It vignettes with the GH1 as it has an oversize sensor.

I wish there was a way to change the title to "Kowa LM8HC full coverage 8mm f1.4 on standard m43 sensor (GF1, EP1 etc)"

photoSmart42

Gents and ladies. Its full coverage on the standard m43 sensor i.e. GF1, EP1 etc. Look at the pics taken with the GF1. Part of the corner darkening can be taken out with a brighten mask. In the end, about 3-5% is the vignette and can be cropped as needed.
Sure, it's full coverage as long as you reduce the sensor size =). The vignetting on the standard m43 sensor is still an indication that you don't get full coverage regardless of what you can do in post to get rid of the corner vignetting. Maybe if you shoot in 1:1 you can say you have full coverage, but again that's a fraction of the full m43 sensor.

Still, nice job modifying this lens!