The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epl3 Epm3 and Ep3

L

luznoi

Any conclusive thoughts, threads, links showing similarities /differences between the three? I'm ready to purchase one within a couple weeks now:)
I have used the search function but didn't see much...

Thanks!

Terry

I haven't used them but from everything I hear, image quality is the same across the three. So, it comes down to form factor/features/price.

L

luznoi

Thanks, Terry. Here's what I read...

I have heard the AF as well IQ is the same across the three models. But some mentioned, like imagining-resource folks, the ep3 focuses just a bit faster than the other two models. Also, the ep3 has (4) more art filters than the Epl3...So, does it follows that the epm1 has even less art filters than epl3?

With regard AF, if there's a difference in AF...even a small one, how do that translate to different lenses. I have read, the older 20mm panny focuses on the slow side while the 14mm just goes, as with newer lenses.

Just trying to gather more comprehensive, definitive info among the three before spending...

Brian Mosley

There's no discernible difference between the E-P3 and E-PL3 in terms of focusing speed. Can't comment on the E-PM1 though.

Cheers

Brian

There's no discernible difference between the E-P3 and E-PL3 in terms of focusing speed. Can't comment on the E-PM1 though.

Cheers

Brian
the only difference between those 3 models based on Panasonic sensor w/ 120fps readout for CDAF might be because of the difference in camera's TruePic processors (may be things like how many cores, etc) and how those processors are powered/clocked (for example TruePic in EP3 might be clocked faster than in EPM1)... w/ CDAF that matters.

nboyer

What I've noticed while pixel peeping using DPR's "Studio scene comparison (RAW)" tool is that the E-P3 appears to be ever-so-slightly less sharp than the E-PL3 or E-PM1. Assuming that DPR is using the same control lens and have not misfocused, this would suggest that there is a slightly stronger AA filter or a slightly stronger NR being applied on the sensor before creation of the RAW file. I had both the E-PM1 and E-PL3 for a brief time and one other thing of note is the vibration felt from the shutter when it tripped. Much stronger on the E-PM1. This really caused a problem for me as at lower shutter speeds, the IBIS could not compensate and I ended up with several blurred images, with distinct vertical 'blurred doubling' of images. Unfortunately, as I really liked that camera, I ended up returning the E-PM1 and bought the E-PL3 to replace my aging E-P2. While I really like the E-PL3, the IBIS is not as effective my E-P2. I consistently get 3-stops of benefit, whereas with the E-PL3 I get 1.5 - 2 usually. Hope this helps. Cheers. -Norm

Any conclusive thoughts, threads, links showing similarities /differences between the three? I'm ready to purchase one within a couple weeks now:)
I have used the search function but didn't see much...

Thanks!

L

luznoi

Anyone else can share their IBIS experience on their epl3 or ep3 especially? I'm hoping to shoot at 1/15 or 1/8 sec regularly...That's 2-3 stops from 1/60. I'm leaning to the ep3. Thx!