The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I don't believe I'm so clumsy

Today, I was outside taking some photos with my G2 and 14-45mm lens. I was just about to put on the lens cap when the cap fell out of my hand and landed on the front glass element of the lens, bounced off the glass and on to the ground. Ironically, just beforehand, I was thinking about getting a UV filter for this lens - I had that thought in my head right before the lens cap slipped out of my hand.

Ive been using manual SLR cameras for about 17 years and this is the first time that this has happened. Unbelievable. I looked at the glass on the lens and there were a few marks that sort of resembled scratches. I know if the front element is scratched, this can increase the chance of flare. So I took a few test shots shooting into the direction of the sun without the lens hood. Reviewing the shots in the EVF, I couldn't see any flare so I'm assuming the lens is okay.

baudolino

Relax, it's just a lens. The chances are that you will introduce more flare by sticking an UV filter on the lens than through whatever "scratches" a falling/bouncing lens cap could ever make on the front element. I'd try to clean the front element gently with the Eclipse solution or similar (perhaps these are just smudges left by the plastic and not scratches).

bennettk

What baudolino said. It's just a lens, it'll be fine. The plastic lens cap is unlikely to do any noticeable damage unless it's jammed into the lens with some force.

A real UV filter is useful in situations with a lot of UV light, like high altitude photography. But most inexpensive glass "UV" filters do more harm than good in my humble opinion.

Finally, I gave up using lens caps twenty years ago. I leave the hood in place, which gives plenty of protection both in the bag and in use. The only lens I've had to send in for repair fell from the back of my truck onto concrete -- no lens cap would have saved that one.

pellicle

another "relax" reply. The chances are (if I've read what you've said right) that its actually a tiny smear of the plastic placed onto the glass by impact. The glass is likely to be harder.

I'm inclined to believe that it would be almost impossible to measure that effect on your image.