The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF Pro?

stephengilbert

From TOP:

Rumorville

And in loosely related news, rumor has it that the announcement of Panasonic's "GFPro"—a flagship, top-level Micro 4/3 camera—is imminent. Although we don't yet know the official name (possibly "GX1") or have a picture, some of the specs seem to be pretty well leaked. The backstory: Panasonic evolved the original GF1 in a more consumer-oriented direction with updates of that camera, causing grumbling among aficionados, and the new camera will create a new tier above the GF1 level to satisfy more dedicated and advanced users. I'll leave you to your own devices in sleuthing out the rumors, if you're the impatient type. The date of the announcement is variously predicted to be October 28th or November 8th, and might of course turn out to be some other date.

Terry

The rumors have been in full swing for a while on 43rumors.com. November 8th is the date they've been quoting but Oct 28th would be convenient for the NY show but that is sort of mid-show so a little odd timing.

The big news in the rumors are that the hoped for integrated left corner EVF will not be on the camera (like NEX 7). That's what many were hoping for.

What m4/3 really needs right now are the two fast zooms that are in development. Supposedly 24-70 and 70-200 equivalents.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Did not follow these rumors lately, but if the GX1 (or whatever name it will have) does not have a built in EVF of at least the quality of the NEX7 then I would say it is simply to forget as the first real Pro m43.

Also the fast zooms (and actually some fast primes IMHO) are long time overdue!

but if the GX1 (or whatever name it will have) does not have a built in EVF of at least the quality of the NEX7 then I would say it is simply to forget as the first real Pro m43.
so what 'd make "GX1" more "pro" (assume it has that viewfinder) vs already existing GH2 :watch:... no, let us use the word "pro like"

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Pro here and pro there... it all depends on the needs. A GH3 with a stronger build quality will probably be a better fit for most working photographers, since the grip makes handling long and-or heavy lenses easier. Although the coming fast zooms won't be nearly as heavy as DSLR equivalents, they will probably be in the 350-500g region.

I'm surprised how well the old PanaLeica 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 handles on the GH1. So much so that I've solved my need for a high quality "normal' zoom, at least for now. I only need a body that will AF with the lens, like a GH2/3/4/5/..... :)

One thing we can be sure about though, is that whatever the camera will be called, and whatever it looks like, Panasonic will give us yet another kind of $100 battery, rendering all previous batteries useless in the new camera. Or could you please prove me wrong Mr. Panasonic? Please?

photoSmart42

It's a GF plain and simple based on the rumored specs. It's not a 'pro' body. It'll come with a 'pro' price tag. I agree that a 'pro' body is better suited to the GH series than the GF series.

Frankly at this point I'm more excited about the large aperture X lenses coming out.

Ben Rubinstein

Would be nice to see a GH3, a more up to date video body together with some faster lenses designed for video work would be most welcome.

W

Willabeast

I'd love to see a GF1 upgrade but without a built-in EVF I can't see why I'd bother. I'd like to see better ISO performance in the 800-1600 range and improved dynamic range too but the GF1 is acceptable for my purposes. It will be interesting to see what they think a pro camera looks like!

bensonga

I have no interest in a GF form factor camera, but I have been thinking of replacing my G1 with a GH2....sounds like I should wait until mid-November. Video aside, I'm still not sure what benefits the GH2 has over the G1 (guess I need to do more research), but I would love to have a "pro" build quality GH form factor camera. This is the camera I plan to take on a two week bicycle trip thru France next September (to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday).

Gary

les

I don't know what their problem is - the solution is simple, take the LC1 body with it's analog controls, then replace the internals with a current standard sensor and electronics.

Bob's yer uncle - a 'Pro' camera to improve on the GF1. What's taking so long?

Terry

I don't know what their problem is - the solution is simple, take the LC1 body with it's analog controls, then replace the internals with a current standard sensor and electronics.

Bob's yer uncle - a 'Pro' camera to improve on the GF1. What's taking so long?
Ditto - I've been saying this for years. New EVF, New LCD and New sensor (same size). Same lens etc. and I would buy it in an instant.

Godfrey

Ditto - I've been saying this for years. New EVF, New LCD and New sensor (same size). Same lens etc. and I would buy it in an instant.
+1

Frankly, I was disheartened when I saw the way Panasonic was going with their equipment designs by mid-2010, that was part of my change in direction equipment-wise.

biglouis

Although a pro-body would be nice, for actual pro's what would be the purpose? If you are a pro, a G body is so damn cheap compared to other pro-body cameras you could work it to death and still afford to replace 3 or 4 times over before it approached the cost of a Canon or Nikon 'pro' body. So, apart from pandering to 'serious enthusiasts' who like to think themselves as 'pro's' I can't see the economic argument for a pro's pro-body.

LouisB

roanjoh

As most people considered the Gf2 and Gf3 a significantly downgrade from the original GF1, and with this came a cult-ish following to the 1, I'm not surprised Panasonic is revisiting the old tried and true form factor and calling it "PRO".

.........but people are right though, a pro lens > a pro body.

bensonga

Louis and Ron,

Ok, forget I said "Pro" build quality.....let's just say "better" build quality, something along the lines of the Fuji X100 quality.

Sort of like the difference between my Canon 1D Mark II and Canon 40D. In some respects, the image quality of the 40D is actually better than the 1D2, but there is no doubt in my mind which camera is built to a higher standard.....I hear the difference every time I press the shutter release.

Many of us appreciate the build quality of a "pro" camera, regardless of our amateur status.

Gary

biglouis

Many of us appreciate the build quality of a "pro" camera, regardless of our amateur status.

Gary
Gary, I understand the point and I agree, for example I like my Leica M8 not just because it takes great pictures but because of the build quality. Actually, I have always thought the build quality of the Panasonic products is pretty damn good. My GF-1 stood up very well and I also like the fit and finish of the GH-2.

Louis